Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 03:40 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,312,217 times

Advertisements

No never. I've seen that stuff end relationships.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 03:52 PM

31,088 posts, read 22,107,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forum_Newbie View Post
I am completely drawn to men who are my complete political opposite. I am a lefty and fall for right wing conservatives. I enjoy the debates and discussions we have and now, with the 2016 political season upon us, I am curious about other couples.

Are the two of you on the same team or are you a red/blue house divided?
"I am completely drawn to men who are my complete political opposite. I am a lefty and fall for right wing conservatives"

So, why don't you fall for Liberal men? I've asked that question of the last two women I dated "Why don't you find a man that is a Liberal?". They didn't have much problem with the difference, but I did.

I'm in that position often myself. I'm a former Dem, now Independent, but identify more conservative, and lately have met mostly Liberal women. I am definitely conservative (small c), but not religious, I'm Pro-Choice, and ok with gay marriage but coming from a military family and being an Engineer it would be almost impossible for me to be a Liberal, same as being Pro-Choice, and a non-Theist would keep me from being Religiously Conservative.

http://dailycaller.com/2014/02/14/ri...servative-men/

Last edited by LS Jaun; 07-20-2015 at 04:03 PM..

Old 07-20-2015, 05:00 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,847,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Hah! I'd honestly be more inclined to pair off with a conservative (as long as he wasn't a social conservative, anyway) than I would a STEM guy, although neither is highly likely. True story. I've dated my share of engineers and accountants, and the bad taste in my mouth is palpable.

LOL.

I know exactly what you mean. My ex-husband is an engineer, and the bad taste in my mouth will remain for some time (though he did lean left on most issues). As a result, I'm also more inclined to date/enter a relationship with a conservative than another STEM guy. Once was enough!

Old 07-20-2015, 05:05 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,973,124 times
"Do you and significant other share political views?"

I don't know. My wife and I follow the conversational Golden Rule: "Never discuss politics, religion, or money." And because we don't, our marriage has been a very happy one

Old 07-20-2015, 05:57 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,009,617 times
I'm an independent but I've never dated another. I live in a sea of red so I end up with republicans.

Really, I couldn't care either way as long as they aren't radicals and don't impose their beliefs on me. I prefer not to talk about politics on the whole, but so many other people do, unfortunately.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:41 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,495,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
It works for me, given that I call the DC area home. Plenty to choose from there, and in cities in general.

Also, some of my work is tied up in certain things, like the Affordable Care Act, as my clients are all major supporters of it and it's a good part of my bread and butter. I don't want to date anyone who basically wants to put me out of work. Plus, I'm a woman and don't appreciate people trying to interfere with or limit my reproductive rights, and an atheist who chafes when people try to erode the separation of church and state. I take all of this personally. A vote for a Republican is a vote against me, as far as I'm concerned.
As you will! This retired political and legislative analyst found the middle road to be far less limiting and quite comfortable dealing with both sides of the aisle. But them, I'm not an ideologue.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:59 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,304,124 times
Quote:
I am completely drawn to men who are my complete political opposite. I am a lefty and fall for right wing conservatives. I enjoy the debates and discussions we have and now, with the 2016 political season upon us, I am curious about other couples.

Are the two of you on the same team or are you a red/blue house divided?
My fiance and I agree on most things (9 out of 10 I'd say), but I usually vote D and he usually votes R. I don't get it. But I don't sweat it either.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:09 AM

4,566 posts, read 5,426,907 times
Quote:
Do you and significant other share political views?
My wife is pretty far left leaning lib, and I am pretty far right leaning conservative. Hasnt caused any problems in our relationship/marriage.

Old 07-21-2015, 01:55 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,793,431 times
Quite different here. I'm fiscally conservative and a moderate on social issues. She's more socially liberal and fiscally liberal, but over the years, she's become more a moderate on the fiscal issues.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:47 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,217,975 times
Cant say much now. I'm liberatarian and prefer someone who doesn't swing too much on either side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships