Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 07:07 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forum_Newbie View Post
I am completely drawn to men who are my complete political opposite. I am a lefty and fall for right wing conservatives. I enjoy the debates and discussions we have and now, with the 2016 political season upon us, I am curious about other couples.

Are the two of you on the same team or are you a red/blue house divided?

I don't think I could ever date a left wing person who was strong in their beliefs. It would just cause too much conflict.

I don't care about things like gay marriage and legalization of marijuana.... but when it turned into discussions of things like "share the wealth" "the rich need to give more to the poor" .. I'd just kind of sign out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 07:12 PM

720 posts, read 500,647 times
Me and my ex-wife had opposing political beliefs. She's more of a liberal while I have a lot of "redneck beliefs" (according to her).

I'm actually not all that political. I prefer to talk about problems and solutions to problems rather than political figures, political parties, and general issues.

I think with politics my upbringing/surroundings had a lot to do with my views, but honestly being a parent has affected them more than anything. Your priorities change when you become a parent and the older you get.

I wouldn't be opposed to dating a woman who doesn't share my political beliefs. I don't have a problem being the cranky, opinionated one who complains about the government taking all my damn money

I will say that the one thing that bugs me is when people are hippy-dippy liberals in public but privately (with their family and friends) conservative about a lot of stuff. With some people, there are things they would never tolerate out of their family, especially their spouse or their kids, but they claim to be cool with it in public to keep up appearances.

Old 07-19-2015, 07:23 PM

348 posts, read 372,258 times
I stopped voting some time ago and can't remember the last time I voluntarily chose to read the newspaper or watch the news (don't have cable either ). I can't recommend it enough!

That said, I will not be compatible with an overtly political woman or a woman that has opposite socio-political views on material things that would affect me directly and personally (abortion, gun control, drugs).

Old 07-19-2015, 08:15 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,230,149 times
I'm pretty liberal (except I'm a bit more conservative when it comes to economic policy). He's more conservative, but slowly growing more liberal.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:17 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
No politics discussed in this home.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:18 PM

615 posts, read 666,030 times
It would be interesting to hear about a long term and happy relationship where one is a liberal and the other is opposite.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:45 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
same team.

The debate may be fun (I sure do) but when it comes to decisions for the family those political views can also translate to potential conflict. Political views are a reflection of individual views and perspectives regarding daily life.

You can always enjoy debates with your friends, coworkers.. etc. . you don't need to go home with any of them.
Hah, since we are both liberal democrats AND a military family, we have plenty of opportunities to debate and challenge without having to do it with one another. You've never lived until you've been the only non-conservatives at the table at the Navy Ball.

The other, less obviously dissonant thing is that we are liberal democrats who are avid churchgoers. Which can also be interesting, or could be, anyway, if we didn't attend very liberal, pro-social justice churches (Episcopal and ELCA Lutheran). But when people who don't know us well find out that we are active in our church communities, they automatically assume things about our politics that...aren't quite accurate.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:11 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,368,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Hah, since we are both liberal democrats AND a military family, we have plenty of opportunities to debate and challenge without having to do it with one another. You've never lived until you've been the only non-conservatives at the table at the Navy Ball.

The other, less obviously dissonant thing is that we are liberal democrats who are avid churchgoers. Which can also be interesting, or could be, anyway, if we didn't attend very liberal, pro-social justice churches (Episcopal and ELCA Lutheran). But when people who don't know us well find out that we are active in our church communities, they automatically assume things about our politics that...aren't quite accurate.
Yep. After my exH and I became apostates and subsequently shifted our worldview we fit in less in military circles and were the rare liberals amongst his co-workers and their spouses. He was approached by his superior about his "unbelief" and he even tried engaging him in debates on many occasions. It was known we were liberal and nontheists, so we didn't quite fit in. I knew some other liberal Christian milspouses and servicemembers. They just didn't advertise it because they are a minority in some areas or units.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:14 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
We know a few. One of my spouse's "brother Chiefs" served as a groomsman in our very liberal protestant wedding (presided over by a married lesbian pastor), and he and his wife are LDS and surprisingly liberal, for being both military and Mormon.

Old 07-19-2015, 10:45 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times
I have a lot of conservative friends, but after growing up in a very right-wing family where my personal views were constantly derided, I prefer that my romantic partners have similar political beliefs to mine. I don't want to debate basic political beliefs with someone who holds that role in my life. My FWB (I believe half the sex appeal between us is based on our conversations) is a combat vet who is radically liberal in many ways compared to me and far more conservative in others, and we actually have very different views on a lot of topics, but we lean the same way. Still, we have some very interesting conversations about the nuances of our viewpoints.

Some people say it's stupid to consider politics in relationships, but there are a bunch of scientific studies that indicate that people who hold conservative vs. liberal values also have radically different ways of approaching the world in terms of their thought processes and reactions. Stuff like that matters. And in my personal experience, I have tried to date conservatives, and eventually what would just be an "agree to disagree" point with a platonic friend becomes a real stumbling block to a romantic relationship.

I don't require someone to be my exact twin in terms of beliefs, but after a lifetime of feeling like an outsider in my own family because of my political leanings, it's something that really matters to me in a romantic relationship of any kind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships