Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 12:00 PM

5,412 posts, read 15,922,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
You should! One must know the "enemy" in order to fight it successfully!

Don't know what's your target age group, but Mademoiselle's readers may get ya in trouble...
How about if I subscribe to Victoria's Secret - would that count as part of my monthly allowance of effeminate reading?

I suppose it would not be prudent for one to discuss such things on a 1st date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 12:21 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
Out of curiosity, when you're on a first date, what topics do you aim to discuss? And what topics do you absolutely refuse to discuss (at least on the 1st date)? Also, how do you handle the awkward silence/pause between topics?

I'll start off w/ my thoughts on this. On a 1st date, I want to know about the woman's interests, hobbies, work, and immediate family. I don't want to discuss her prior relationships, politics/religion at a deep level, and personal finances. As far as awkward silence goes, I break the tension by asking an unrelated question, such as "What crazy thing have you done lately?"
Im pretty much the same as you. I'd like to hear about a womans hobbies, interests, work, family, goals. I'd also like to hear about her fitness goals and routines and find out what her interests are regarding exercise and fitness.

Some things I DO NOT want to hear her talk about:

Her Cats
Her previous relationships
Her religious views
Her girlfriends
Her kids (this is usally a deal breaker up front if she has kids)

Old 01-29-2008, 12:28 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
How about if I subscribe to Victoria's Secret - would that count as part of my monthly allowance of effeminate reading?

I suppose it would not be prudent for one to discuss such things on a 1st date.
I certainly can't help you here. I've no problem discussing Vickie's or anything else for that matter, but I'm foreign-born and it seems like the art of American "dating" will remain mystery to me forever... To be honest, based on what I read and hear from people, I truly don't wanna find out...

Old 01-29-2008, 12:37 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,832,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
I'd like to hear...about her fitness goals and routines and find out what her interests are regarding exercise and fitness.

I DO NOT want to hear her talk about:

Her Cats
Her previous relationships
Her religious views
Her girlfriends
Her kids
That last thing I would want to hear is about her exercise and fitness.
I don't want to hear anything on the DO NOT list either, except about her cats.

If we ended up at her house I would probably forget all about her and make friends with the cats.
She could use the time to exercise.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:32 PM

Since I'm a bit of a fitness nut, I agree w/ DaBeez that I'd want to find out about here exercise and fitness routine. If she's the type who just works out in Jan. and May but takes the rest of the year off, she's not for me. If she's a fitness nut, then she knows, would support, and join me at the gym every night after our respective jobs.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:45 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times
It's been SO long since I was on a first date, but I'll try to answer this...

I suppose, the "traditional stuff" would be up there....work, family, upbringing. But, more than anything, I would want him to tell me things that would keep me coming back. Something unusual. Something fun. Something exciting.

If he's a doctor, he should tell me about his experiences as a med student delivering conjoined twins in Kenya. If he's a lawyer, he should tell me about the time that he appeared in front of a jury with his fly open. You get the idea....something that individualizes him from the get-go.

If he had three or four days and could be anywhere, doing anything, what would he do?

If he were appearing on a game show, and had 30 seconds to tell millions of people a story about himself, what would it be?

IMO, you get more from hearing about those things than the traditional "this is what I do for work, this is my family" stuff.

Old 01-29-2008, 04:00 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Since I'm a bit of a fitness nut, I agree w/ DaBeez that I'd want to find out about here exercise and fitness routine. If she's the type who just works out in Jan. and May but takes the rest of the year off, she's not for me. If she's a fitness nut, then she knows, would support, and join me at the gym every night after our respective jobs.
You're absolutely correct! Only another fitness nut can stand a fitness nut!

Old 01-29-2008, 04:16 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
Thanks beowulf7. That is something that is definately important to me and will help me determine if she's worth dating at all. If she considers working out walking the dog in the park or cleaning the house, she's probably not right for me. But if she can talk about supersets, HIIT, CW/X, running and smith machines then its probably going to work out between us.

If she's not a fitness nut then Im not interested.

Old 01-29-2008, 04:27 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,832,394 times
Quote:

Then you would probably have better luck with "Hey, do you work out?", than the Happy California Cow did in the cheese commercial.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
You're absolutely correct! Only another fitness nut can stand a fitness nut!
Quote:
Thanks beowulf7. That is something that is definately important to me and will help me determine if she's worth dating at all. If she considers working out walking the dog in the park or cleaning the house, she's probably not right for me. But if she can talk about supersets, HIIT, CW/X, running and smith machines then its probably going to work out between us.

Definitely. Now if I found a woman who could out-lift me ... then, uhh, that might not be a good thing either . (Hmm, but if she can man-handle me in the sack ... )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships