Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 03:39 PM

1,454 posts, read 2,168,231 times

Advertisements

Men can do a lot more damage if they hit a woman like a man. A hard slap from a full grown man to my face would probably (never had that happened) at most would still feel like a mild punch at 50% of force.

Plus most of the time, whenever there are those ''hitting back women'' stories, they aren't even doing it for true self-defense purpose but to just retaliate in anger as if saying ''Oh how dare she had the audacity to disrespect me'' or ''Oh yeah, well let's see what you gonna about this one'' and then it usually ends up bad for the woman. He hit back just to hit when they had other options and weren't in an actual life threatening position. Unlike vice-versa, the only time I had heard of a woman really fighting back was in an extreme self-defense situation (she's actually scared) but she wants to get away at first.

Off course in reality I don't think anyone should be hitting, regardless of gender. Personally, if a man or another woman hit me I would be press assault charges on him/her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2015, 03:44 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,624,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laychick View Post
Men can do a lot more damage if they hit a woman like a man. A hard slap from a full grown man to my face would probably (never happened) at most would still feel like a mild punch at 50% of force.

Plus most of the time, whenever there are those ''hitting back women'' stories, they aren't even doing it for true self-defense purpose but to just retaliate in anger as if saying ''Oh how dare she had the audacity to disrespect me'' and then it usually ends up bad for the woman. Unlike vice-versa, the only time I had heard of a woman really fighting back was in an extreme self-defense situation but she wants to get away at first.
Eh.

If your GF hits you with an object, or throws something at you, say, that can do a lot more damage than you shoving your wife down into a chair. Neither is acceptable. But it's disingenuous to play the "Oh, well, men can do more damage because they are strong" card to rationalize abusive behavior.

One big thing that plays into the difference regarding how domestic violence is viewed and conceptualized DOES have to do with the fact that men who are victims of domestic violence RARELY report, press charges, prosecute, or leave somebody over it. Part of the reason it's not taken seriously has to do with those experiencing it not taking it seriously. That in and of itself contributes to the double standard.

Old 09-19-2015, 03:46 PM

8 posts, read 5,790 times
Quote:
Men can do a lot more damage if they hit a woman like a man.
And yet so many women take huge risks. When a man gets in another man's face he kind of knows what could happen, and on some level he's prepared to take responsibility if it gets to that. But too many women think they can get in a man's face and not expect repercussions. I guess they've been able to get away with it for a long time but I'm sure we've all heard how these days more and more men are responding violently to behavior from women which would be unacceptable if it were from a man. In other words, men are starting to treat aggressive / belligerent / obnoxious women the same way they're treat a man if he behaved the same way. Or, put yet another way, men are starting to treat women as equals. Be careful what you wish for. Very, very risky business.

Old 09-19-2015, 03:47 PM

52,307 posts, read 52,764,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Eh.

If your GF hits you with an object, or throws something at you, say, that can do a lot more damage than you shoving your wife down into a chair. Neither is acceptable. But it's disingenuous to play the "Oh, well, men can do more damage because they are strong" card to rationalize abusive behavior.

One big thing that plays into the difference regarding how domestic violence is viewed and conceptualized DOES have to do with the fact that men who are victims of domestic violence RARELY report, press charges, prosecute, or leave somebody over it. Part of the reason it's not taken seriously has to do with those experiencing it not taking it seriously.
You're right about it not being reported as much. I made reference to that too.

Violence in any form shouldn't be happening.

Why people stay and put up with it, I don't know... a lot of dynamics come into play, I'm sure of that.

Old 09-19-2015, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Eh.

One big thing that plays into the difference regarding how domestic violence is viewed and conceptualized DOES have to do with the fact that men who are victims of domestic violence RARELY report, press charges, prosecute, or leave somebody over it. Part of the reason it's not taken seriously has to do with those experiencing it not taking it seriously.
They should report it. The reason it's probably not taken serious is because you said it: they aren't reporting it. Nothing wrong with speaking about it and filing charges on your abuser. An abuser deserves to serve jail time.

Throwing objects and trying to come after you with a weapon is a different scenario than someone that pushed or slapped you but you weren't in any actually life threatening position.

If a man push or slaps me, that would give me the rights to get away and file assault charges on him...not to retaliate for the sake of hitting back for ''equality's sake''; that's not self-defense.
If I ever were to find myself in the position of kicking a man hard in the groin then he would have to actually do something so terrible as to put me in fear such as try to rape, catch him in the act of molesting my teenaged brother or hurting my family.

Last edited by Laychick; 09-19-2015 at 03:58 PM..

Old 09-19-2015, 03:50 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,541,350 times
Quote:
Men can do a lot more damage if they hit a woman like a man. A hard slap from a full grown man to my face would probably (never had that happened) at most would still feel like a mild punch at 50% of force.

Plus most of the time, whenever there are those ''hitting back women'' stories, they aren't even doing it for true self-defense purpose but to just retaliate in anger as if saying ''Oh how dare she had the audacity to disrespect me'' or ''Oh yeah, well let's see what you gonna about this one'' and then it usually ends up bad for the woman. He hit back just to hit when they had other options and weren't in an actual life threatening position. Unlike vice-versa, the only time I had heard of a woman really fighting back was in an extreme self-defense situation (she's actually scared) but she wants to get away at first.

Off course in reality I don't think anyone should be hitting, regardless of gender. Personally, if a man or another woman hit me I would be press assault charges on him/her.
Physically yes a man can inflict more damage but mentality? Some women get a free pass as they KNOW their fella won't hit back

It's a horrible situation as REAL men don't hit women therefore can't hit back all they can do is restrain the women

Old 09-19-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kratomberger View Post
And yet so many women take huge risks. When a man gets in another man's face he kind of knows what could happen, and on some level he's prepared to take responsibility if it gets to that. But too many women think they can get in a man's face and not expect repercussions. I guess they've been able to get away with it for a long time but I'm sure we've all heard how these days more and more men are responding violently to behavior from women which would be unacceptable if it were from a man. In other words, men are starting to treat aggressive / belligerent / obnoxious women the same way they're treat a man if he behaved the same way. Or, put yet another way, men are starting to treat women as equals. Be careful what you wish for. Very, very risky business.
Equality doesn't mean fighting for who gets the rights to hit who and who gets to do it better to get even. People that assault others should be locked up.

Old 09-19-2015, 03:54 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,624,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kratomberger View Post
Uh, no.

Tell the arresting officer, "But, he/she got in my face!" Good luck with that.

Old 09-19-2015, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Physically yes a man can inflict more damage but mentality? Some women get a free pass as they KNOW their fella won't hit back

It's a horrible situation as REAL men don't hit women therefore can't hit back all they can do is restrain the women
Those women deserve jail time. They would if more men report it instead of saying nothing.

Old 09-19-2015, 03:57 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,541,350 times
Quote:
Those women deserve jail time. They would if more men report it instead of saying nothing.
Agreed but even tho in my opinion it's a serious subject most men wouldn't report it as its slightly undermines their masculinity lol or are embarrassed if you know what I mean
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships