Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 12:39 PM

787 posts, read 782,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Um, of course? I met some of their friends already. Why?

I mean, these people are all over the place and aren't hard to find. Just don't live in conservative / cruddy places.
Just wondering. Best of luck to you man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 02:45 PM

6,458 posts, read 4,951,548 times
Here is my philosophy on OLD. First pick a pay site because people that pay nothing tend not to be as serious. I had fabulous luck on eHarmony. It takes a little more time and effort but that's a good thing because the people are more motivated. If you are willing to spend $20 or so and a bunch of time filing out questionnaires it improves your chances of finding a like minded individual. Also just respond to your conversations and don't get your hopes up. If you get your hopes up every time someone contacts you or visa versa you will go crazy and soon burn out from the emotional highs and lows.

Old 10-26-2015, 04:27 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,646,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Here is my philosophy on OLD. First pick a pay site because people that pay nothing tend not to be as serious. I had fabulous luck on eHarmony. It takes a little more time and effort but that's a good thing because the people are more motivated. If you are willing to spend $20 or so and a bunch of time filing out questionnaires it improves your chances of finding a like minded individual. Also just respond to your conversations and don't get your hopes up. If you get your hopes up every time someone contacts you or visa versa you will go crazy and soon burn out from the emotional highs and lows.
I'm about at that stage of being burned out. I'm losing the optimism I once had that OLD could be an option. I haven't tried eHarmony for a while, but the last time I tried it the experience was awful. I heard they got a way around all the silly questionnaires though. I had a hard time finding anyone real and local to talk to.

I wonder where the hell eligible ladies are looking for a man. The only place I can think of is the damn bar. The place where any half decent looking lady is literally surrounded by men looking to get laid.

Old 10-26-2015, 05:04 PM

1,454 posts, read 2,169,043 times
As of now, I already canceled my POF account. Taking a break and coming back as soon as I finish this semeter late Dec of this year.

I'll try not to be so optimistic next time.

Old 10-26-2015, 05:41 PM

645 posts, read 752,456 times
no no and no!!!! creeper central!

Old 10-26-2015, 06:50 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,220,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
I've met 3 women on OLD sites, 1 of whom I'm still friends with (even after a brief fling; another with whom I had an actual relationship (until she got flaky on me); the third we met for lunch but there was no chemistry so, obviously, no 2nd date.

OLD is a major crapshoot - you may, or may not, find someone. As I mentioned in another thread, I think that too many women on the sites are looking for Brad Pitt-types. Or guys with $$$$. One site I was on, some woman had the audacity to put in her profile: "Ugly men need not apply!" I so wanted to lambaste her, but I let it go. Incidentally, she was no beauty queen herself!
POF, OKC, Match.com, even Zoosk...you take your risks!
Haha, that's like the female version of a guy putting, "No fat chicks" in his profile. It's so obnoxious regardless of gender.

Old 10-26-2015, 07:01 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,916,521 times
Doing a bunch of things in real life that put you in repeated contact with potential partners = much higher percentage of meeting a quality person.

If most people would put as much work on developing themselves as they put into OLD, they'd be much more successful at attracting quality partners.

Old 10-26-2015, 07:05 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,237,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laychick View Post
I've tried POF (Plenty of Fish) recently and it has gotten me no results. It's full of either men I'm not attracted to or guys that only want casual dates and to have fun but nothing serious.

A while back, some guy kept insisting on coming to his place to get together. As soon as I said nope, that I just wanted to hang out and return home, he ghosted out on me and never heard from him since. Now another man ghosted out on me; I haven't heard from him for days now (he used to respond right away). I'm not sure if it's the dating site that's negative or I must be doing something wrong.
They are just places to get laid, cheat, or escape. Once in awhile one works and makes a crappy commercial out of it. Everyone I know that uses them gets sex out of it, good and bad, and that's about it. The rest is BS.

Old 10-26-2015, 07:15 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,050,864 times
From a guy's perspective, there are just too many immature girls between 20-30 y.o on OLD. There is just so much garbage to wade through. But that doesn't mean you should totally give up on it.

Probably the same from a girl's perspective, unless they're looking in the late 30's early 40's bracket.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:18 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,900,286 times
The other thing about OLD is that it becomes addictive. I've had good conversations going with women, and then out of nowhere the contact stops. I also feel a little weird talking to a bunch of different women, but because they just disappear sometimes after many nice conversations, you have to have a lot of backups and keep all potentials in play. Also it's weird because so many women(and probably guys too) are on their all the time. I've gone out with this one girl a couple times, and every time I'm on the site she's always "online." I guess until it's official, people just keep playing the game.

I also never know at what point to ask for a woman's number or how many email exchanges before you ask to meet up. If you ask too early, they think you're coming on too strong, but if you wait too long, things fade out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships