Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2015, 09:31 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question2015 View Post
"Across a wide range of jurisdictions the estimates are that mothers receive primary custody 68-88% of the time, fathers receive primary custody 8-14%, and equal residential custody is awarded in only 2-6% of the cases."
How frequently do fathers ask for custody? When they ask for it, how frequently is it awarded? The stats I've seen cited on that are much more equitable. Mothers taking the kids for spite and money happens as frequently as fathers ditching the kids and moving on, I'd wager.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 09:32 AM

579 posts, read 432,843 times
Quote:
Anecdotal evidence isn't really evidence at all. Based on factual government data

Open up your eyes and ears, and educate yourself on whats going on around you.
Oh, don't worry, my eyes are wide open - I'm living it.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:34 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Anecdotal evidence isn't really evidence at all. Based on factual government data

" Across a wide range of jurisdictions the estimates are that mothers receive primary custody 68-88% of the time, fathers receive primary custody 8-14%, and equal residential custody is awarded in only 2-6% of the cases."

With child custody come child support payments for the first 18 years of the child. This money can be spent in any which way the custodial parent pleases. Lets not forget, child benefits most by having both parents involved in their life, unless special circumstances exist. Wonder why that is, if below is also a fact:

"The DHHS data shows that of children abused by one parent between 2001 and 2006, 70.6% were abused by their mothers, whereas only 29.4% were abused by their fathers.
And of children who died at the hands of one parent between 2001 and 2006, 70.8% were killed by their mothers, whereas only 29.2% were killed by their fathers.
Furthermore, contrary to media portrayals that leave the viewer with the impression that only girls are ever harmed, boys constituted fully 60% of child fatalities. (Table 4-3, p. 71, Child Maltreatment 2006, Child Maltreatment 2006 | Children's Bureau | Administration for Children and Families, reports that 675 boys died in 2006 as compared to 454 girls)."

Breaking the Science: 71% of Children Killed by One Parent are Killed by Their Mothers; 60% of Victims are Boys

Lets not forget our favorite shout out. EVERY single feminist organization, including NOW has fiercely fought AGAINST shared parenting, where fathers could be more present in their childrens lives. TIme to wake up people. Open up your eyes and ears, and educate yourself on whats going on around you.
Your statistics on abuse are not relevant.

again.
Do we really need a sticky to explain this.
The majority of men earn more than women. The majority of women sacrifice their careers to care for the children, thus losing earnings and earning potential. A small percentage of people receive alimony. Alimony is temporary.

Women most often get custodial custody...because...see above bold. It is women who cares for the kids, takes them to Dr., knows their teachers and friends, school and activity schedule, sits up with them when they are sick, knows their allergies, what foods they like, their favorite color, their fears, etc. etc. When more men become primary care givers to their children you will (are) seeing a change in custody arrangements. Its about the kids.

As far as family court favoring women, divorce laws are not gender specific. Family court favors the one that puts forth the most effort and has the best attorney.

And might I add few fathers ask for or fight for custody.

Thirty-five states plus the District of Columbia have statutes that explicitly authorize joint custody as a presumption or strong preference.

Could you provide links showing every feminist group fiercely opposed shared custody. I did not find any thing when I looked at NOW.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:36 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post
Guess what that was 2005. They now crossed ten years, had a kid and moved to California, a community property state. He is worth maybe 20 million today. Wow if they got divorced he still have ten million an amazing ten years of sex with a super hot young wife and has a son who looks like a model, he is at best average looking but his kid got a lot of the good looking genes.
Even in a community property state, she's still not entitled to half of everything. Assuming that he was smart enough to maintain some things as his separate property, she wouldn't be able to touch them.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:36 AM

579 posts, read 432,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsFan20 View Post
What tradition are you referring to where the guy takes the woman's last name???

You are desperately grasping at straws to try to support your unfounded position and hide your man hatred
Yeah, is right...

My point was that you believe in existing tradition. You would not choose to change your name to your wife's name, claiming 'tradition'. I think that's nonsense. You won't change your name because you can't imagine doing so. That would be unmasculine or something. That's your identity, right? Yet you said it's shallow of a woman to not want to change her name - not only to a completely different name than she grew up with, but to one that sounds or looks stupid with her given first name. Not to mention that she may have already gotten a degree and/or established a career with her maiden name. Yeah, it's all about the man-hating.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:42 AM

52 posts, read 53,548 times
If getting married, it needs to be carefully communicated. I like the idea of separate bank accounts but then 1 joint account you have when married.

When dating, not sure I understand. I would never move in with someone until I was married (again I'm very traditional). If I did move in with someone, I would pay half my rent. The only exception is say if he insisted I live in a place I could never afford and we work some financial thing out.

I do prefer a man regularly paying for dates provided it's things like movies, meals, or drinks. I know on here that makes me out to be a "gold digger". I do like being treated like a princess (I hate saying that, but I do. It makes me feel special).

Old 11-24-2015, 09:44 AM

565 posts, read 432,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post

Could you provide links showing every feminist group fiercely opposed shared custody. I did not find any thing when I looked at NOW.[/font][/color][/color][/font]

Opposing Shared Parenting: The Feminist Track Record

Opposing Shared Parenting: The Feminist Track Record

The NOW opposes bill to give fathers shared custody 2009

Instances of NOW opposing shared parenting bills in 2005 and 2009 along with the actual bills

Feminist and women’s groups oppose default joint custody bills 1986

Feminist groups oppose joint custody shared parenting

Feminist groups oppose shared parenting and refuse to sit at same table as men 2001

National Organization for Women opposes shared parenting joint custody bill 2010

http://www.avoiceformen.com/wp-conte...stody-2009.pdf

http://www.avoiceformen.com/wp-conte...tual-bills.pdf

http://www.avoiceformen.com/wp-conte...bills-1986.pdf

http://www.avoiceformen.com/wp-conte...-parenting.pdf

http://www.avoiceformen.com/wp-conte...s-men-2001.pdf

http://www.avoiceformen.com/wp-conte...-bill-2010.pdf

Last edited by Question2015; 11-24-2015 at 09:53 AM..

Old 11-24-2015, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
If I was a woman and a rich man whom I had a nice relationship came up with the prenup on my face I would feel pretty bad. How do people bring these things up in a conversation? How would women feel if they had a nice relationship with a rich man and before getting married he came up with a prenup?
I wouldn't have a problem signing a prenup that protected a spouses pre-marital assets. And not only if he was rich but if he earned or inherited modest assets prior to our relationship. It is natural to want to preserve that which we earned on our own. I think most people regardless of gender feel the same.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
The NOW opposes bill to give fathers shared custody 2009

Instances of NOW opposing shared parenting bills in 2005 and 2009 along with the actual bills

Feminist and women’s groups oppose default joint custody bills 1986

Feminist groups oppose joint custody shared parenting

Feminist groups oppose shared parenting and refuse to sit at same table as men 2001

National Organization for Women opposes shared parenting joint custody bill 2010

http://www.avoiceformen.com/wp-conte...stody-2009.pdf

http://www.avoiceformen.com/wp-conte...tual-bills.pdf

http://www.avoiceformen.com/wp-conte...bills-1986.pdf

http://www.avoiceformen.com/wp-conte...-parenting.pdf

http://www.avoiceformen.com/wp-conte...s-men-2001.pdf

http://www.avoiceformen.com/wp-conte...-bill-2010.pdf
All of those are from a voice for men. Any links actually from the feminist groups.
I began reading the first two and it appears this is in NY not nation wide and the issue is in the best interest of the child vs. preservation of joint custody. The opposition seems to be in mandatory equal parenting when previously there was not equal parenting or overriding what is best for the child in order to insure fathers get equal face time.

A shared custody should be ordered when that is what parents truly want in situations where it will work and be in the best interest of the child. So I can see where there would be some concerns if equal time were mandatory.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:05 AM

565 posts, read 432,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
All of those are from a voice for men. Any links actually from the feminist groups.
I began reading the first two and it appears this is in NY not nation wide and the issue is in the best interest of the child vs. preservation of joint custody. The opposition seems to be in mandatory equal parenting when previously there was not equal parenting or overriding what is best for the child in order to insure fathers get equal face time.

A shared custody should be ordered when that is what parents truly want in situations where it will work and be in the best interest of the child. So I can see where there would be some concerns if equal time were mandatory.
All those links lead directly to the documents in question, which are official bills as proposed and available to the public. They are .pdf documents authored by National Organization for Women. As I said, feminists regularly oppose shared parenting and have done so for decades.

"As court-ordered arrangements*imposed*upon…embattled*and*embittered *parents*…*[joint*custody]*can*only enhance*family*chaos.* Each year, the National Organization for Women-New York State fights back against proposed legislation that will hurt mothers and their children."

You can spin it any way you want, reality is only one and I know my stuff when it comes to these topics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships