Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 09:37 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times

Advertisements

Shameful behavior deserves to be shamed.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:38 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
"Shaming": Anything other than wholesale approval and/or cheerleading.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:40 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,196,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopGUN3 View Post
the painful feeling arising from the consciousness of something dishonorable, improper, ridiculous, etc., done by oneself or another:
She was overcome with shame.
How can someone, then, who has not done something "dishonorable, improper, ridiculous, etc." come to feel shame? Why would we then think shame is a bad thing? If I had not done so, then no one could MAKE me feel so.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:44 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,484,192 times
In response to no one in particular, my intent here was to note how this one jerk out in the manosphere, known for his absolutely rotten thinking on relationships and women, turns out to be far less the king of all that is masculine and far more the epitome of a tantrum-throwing social misfit incapable of cutting the apron strings and living on his own.

Is he representative of an entire movement? Probably not. But he attracts the lost and weak-minded and like any maniacal sociopath who really needs to be sequestered from society, has the potential to warp the minds of the impressionable.

It is good that so many came out and called him exactly what he is. Will there be a stubborn subset of his followers who will claim there is nothing wrong with him? Sure.

And they need to be deprogrammed.

It is NEVER right to promote atrocity against any group according to age, sex, race, or religion. He is a voice of hate speech. Cast your lot with him, and you are just as much a bottom-feeding scuzzbucket as he is. Get help, before you become the next Elliott Rodger.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:44 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,177,901 times
If somebody even partially subscribed to this guy's beliefs, I would very quickly separate myself from him. I'd feel dirty even having him as an acquaintance. Because not only is the guy a predatory slime ball, but he's also a poseur who cannot be trusted in even the most elementary ways. If you guys out there are wanting to play the PUA card for even a nanosecond, here's what I have to say about that:

- If you somehow manage to be successful with these techniques, then you aren't having sex with someone. You are masturbating in a woman's body.
- If you have a hard time meeting women without these techniques, it has nothing to do with women. It means you are an uninteresting person.
- If you are willing to compromise your ethics in how you treat others in order to get laid, it means that you are a desperate individual, not a player. You're the equivalent of a man who has spent three days in the desert without a drop to drink.
-

Want to actually meet women and enjoy a fulfilling sex life? Let's start with the fundamentals.

- A desirable man knows how to talk to a woman. He looks her in the eyes, listens, and responds to what she says. He does not vomit out a bunch of lines as if he were a macaw.
- A desirable man knows that every woman he talks to isn't a potential bedmate, chiefly because he's a lot more selective than that.
- A desirable man is attractive because of his strengths, not because of his manipulations and sneakiness.
- A desirable man cares about his partner's well-being and fun as much as his own.
- A desirable man is honest and respectful, and he will never run out of road. Eventually a PUA has to leave town.
- Being honest and respectful doesn't mean being a doormat, by the way. You are honest and respectful, so you expect the same in return.

Last edited by cpg35223; 02-08-2016 at 09:57 AM..

Old 02-08-2016, 09:59 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,442,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopGUN3 View Post
So this is how good men defeat evil by shaming it?
Ok, tell us exactly what you propose we do with a someone who promotes a philosophy that states women are good for nothing but sex, rape on private property should be legal and encouraged, and women who don't fit into the feminine stereotype are either disgusting and/or mentally ill? Can't wait to hear your shame-free solution for d-bags like this.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:29 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,196,161 times
I shared with my 15 year old son about the manosphere and PUA. His response was "what a bunch of douches".

Old 02-08-2016, 10:33 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,456,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperJade View Post
Oh, please. The man promotes rape. How is that not shameful? Do you think we should all sit there and debate the merits of atrocity?

"Well, gee, Hitler/Pol Pot/Osama Bin Laden/Stalin/Amin was an ass, but we shouldn't shame the guy."
I don't agree with him. I think he is an ass...but somehow on this board having anything to say against something suddenly makes you "one of them"

I take umbrage with the "everyone join hands and form a circle to counter this great evil" attitude.
You're not trying to stop hilter or counter a movement that is in danger of ruining your way of life or protect an entire society, You're just reveling that someone got what you felt they deserved.

You're someone looking to shame someone that you feel is deserving of shame. You can justify it however you like and go to any exteme you need to to feel validated with your prerogative, but it is what it is...THAT is the issue I was speaking to in my post. The intent of the thread.

When I used the term "shame" this was the context I was intending it to be used. Not as a blanket statement towards the whole.

It's a dangerous way to approach dealing with things we do not approve of.

Last edited by rego00123; 02-08-2016 at 10:52 AM..

Old 02-08-2016, 10:44 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
How can someone, then, who has not done something "dishonorable, improper, ridiculous, etc." come to feel shame? Why would we then think shame is a bad thing? If I had not done so, then no one could MAKE me feel so.
This is why is a stupid term. Nobody can MAKE you feel ashamed of your behavior. You either do or you don't.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:51 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
It's a dangerous way to approach dealing with things we do not agree with that just leads to more of the same
But at the same time, some (#notall) of the followers of guys like Roosh actually do dangerous things. They make public death and rape threats to women who speak or write against their movement; they publish detractors's home addresses and phone numbers for harassment purposes; they hack into computers to find private information, etc. I suppose you could say that two wrongs don't make a right, but some of these manosphere guys shouldn't just be allowed to fester quietly online just because "boys will be boys" and "free speech" and all that.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 02-08-2016 at 10:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships