Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 09:57 AM

741 posts, read 478,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
You're going to be making $39k. You are a working adult who is making a pretty decent salary. You should contribute financially to the household. Pay your parents a monthly rent (doesn't have to be market rate but make an effort to give them a couple hundred a month) and buy your own food.

It blows my mind that someone making that amount of salary in a low cost of living area would choose to mooch off their parents (which BTW is not attractive to men).
It just seems like a waste of money to get an apartment that's like 10 mins from my parents house
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 10:00 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gab12 View Post
It just seems like a waste of money to get an apartment that's like 10 mins from my parents house
Is your job that close to your parents' house? Now's the opportune time to move to the part of the city where younger, single people live, not out in the suburbs with families.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Is your job that close to your parents' house? Now's the opportune time to move to the part of the city where younger, single people live, not out in the suburbs with families.
My job is like 45 from my parents but I am hesitant to live where I work. I will be doing therapy and seeing clients in the community where I live too would be weird especially in bars and stuff.

Where I work would be an awesome place to live though it's really up and coming from what I heard

Old 05-25-2016, 10:57 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,266,879 times
Here is my opinion, which is worth a bit less than what it costs

You seem eager to move back with your parents. You said your job pays low but the experience will be worth it. I assume that means the experience gained will enable you to move into a higher paid position someday, hopefully not so far in the future. I say, move back in with your parents. Save as much money as you can to build up your nest egg.

Now, as far as hunting down a boyfriend, all friends, as it turns out, are better obtained if you just live your life and do the activities that you enjoy and see what develops. If you wish to become an alcoholic, no problem, head to a bar, and enjoy yourself and you will develop friendships. If you have other interests, try meetup, or a bike or hiking club. Perhaps take a 'fun' class at the community college. Take up horseback riding, try motorcycling. Just get out there and find your game. You will meet people, trust me. Just don't forget to be approachable.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:31 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,396,092 times
Quote:
Okay. But at the very least, pay some rent to your parents.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:36 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,529,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Okay. But at the very least, pay some rent to your parents.
Yeah it's only fair and right

Every little helps

Old 05-25-2016, 11:43 AM

7,102 posts, read 4,825,782 times
But I'm confused. You didn't have a job before, you just landed this one where you'll be making 39K a year, correct?

And you don't live with your parents right now.

Where do you live currently and how are you affording that if you won't be able to afford an apartment making 39K? You just graduated so you can't be living on campus.....

Why can't you stay where you are?

Old 05-25-2016, 11:52 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,679,067 times
Quote:
My job is like 45 from my parents but I am hesitant to live where I work. I will be doing therapy and seeing clients in the community where I live too would be weird especially in bars and stuff.

Where I work would be an awesome place to live though it's really up and coming from what I heard
Then by all means, go live there. You're signing a lease, not buying a house. If it doesn't work out, then move to another neighborhood. If you think it's a young, vibrant community where other people your age live and hang out, then that's really where you should be, not in a suburb with your parents. It's not like you have a huge client base of 3000 people that are going to overload you. If you run into a client here and there, so what?

Chances are that if you want to meet young people, you need to go where they are and where they hang out. If this is where they are, then you're going to have to go there regardless, even if you live out with your parents.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
But I'm confused. You didn't have a job before, you just landed this one where you'll be making 39K a year, correct?

And you don't live with your parents right now.

Where do you live currently and how are you affording that if you won't be able to afford an apartment making 39K? You just graduated so you can't be living on campus.....

Why can't you stay where you are?
I took out student loans for living expenses. So my rent is paid half by my parents (because my brother lives with me) and by my loans.

This apartment building is too far of a commute and my brother is moving out.

Old 05-25-2016, 02:26 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,451,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
You get a job that requires a masters degree but cannot afford a studio apartment??

Wow, that sucks. Sorry to hear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It's not uncommon. Especially for people that go right from undergrad to grad. But even beyond that I know many people that have roommates with masters and experience in high COL places.
Also not uncommon in her field to require a masters in exchange for low paying wages - at least not here.

I did a quick paycheck calculator. If she lived here, filing Single 1, and paid 2x a month, she'd bring home roughly $1200/ck. Here, rents are so ridiculous that one entire paycheck could very easily go to renting a 1 BR apt on her own unless she wanted to live in one of the further out suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships