Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 02:49 PM

741 posts, read 478,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
Also not uncommon in her field to require a masters in exchange for low paying wages - at least not here.

I did a quick paycheck calculator. If she lived here, filing Single 1, and paid 2x a month, she'd bring home roughly $1200/ck. Here, rents are so ridiculous that one entire paycheck could very easily go to renting a 1 BR apt on her own unless she wanted to live in one of the further out suburbs.
Exactly. SW isn't high paying and I don't have my clinical license yet. When I do I am more able to get higher paying jobs. I'm going to try to find a place with cheap rent near my work maybe I can get a weekend job baby sitting or at a gym. I'll meet guys at a gym if I work there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 03:08 PM

231 posts, read 201,962 times
Focus on your career and getting settled into your new job. Worry about building relationships after a few months once your job becomes a routine.

Old 05-25-2016, 03:09 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gab12 View Post
Because I can't afford an apartment making 39k a year. The pay is awful but the experience will be good
Where do you live? Why did you take such a job if you TRULY can't afford an apartment much less to own a home? You're creating a bad situation for yourself - why? What is your plan to make more money so you don't live with your parents forever? And on a simpler note - why can't you go to the guy's place? There are some easy answers if you don't want to confront the bigger issues...

I could go on and on. You sound as though you just fall into things without any thought and then when there's an issue throw your hands up in the air. Time to grow up and figure your life out or 20 years from now you'll be right where you are now.

Old 05-25-2016, 03:24 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Where do you live? Why did you take such a job if you TRULY can't afford an apartment much less to own a home? You're creating a bad situation for yourself - why? What is your plan to make more money so you don't live with your parents forever? And on a simpler note - why can't you go to the guy's place? There are some easy answers if you don't want to confront the bigger issues...

I could go on and on. You sound as though you just fall into things without any thought and then when there's an issue throw your hands up in the air. Time to grow up and figure your life out or 20 years from now you'll be right where you are now.
She just finished her masters and maybe doesn't have many choices with limited experience in the field. She said she is taking the low pay to get experience. sounds temporary.

Old 05-25-2016, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post

20 years from now I'll be a wife and mother. But once I have my clinical license in 2 years I can earn more. This isn't a forever career it's to get my foot in the door, get great clinical experience and the supervision for my clinical license then hopefully hospital social work or the VA It's just the career path I picked which is even more reason I need to get into a relationship and have 2 incomes life isn't made for single people

Old 05-25-2016, 08:25 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
The time to have lived with your parents was when you were going to school. NOW you have student loans to pay off, which includes the money you spent living away from your parents. Not the smartest thing to have done. Your student loan debt is higher than it had to be, because of this. Any future bf is going to look hard at the debt you carry and realize that you want to throw it on his shoulders - a big liability.

You don't even want to work (and a future bf will realize that you will stop working at the earliest moment, leaving him to carry the full burden AND your student loan debt). It sounds like you really have no calling for the field you chose - so why did you accrue that debt for a low-paying field that you have no intention of working long in?

Old 05-25-2016, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
The time to have lived with your parents was when you were going to school. NOW you have student loans to pay off, which includes the money you spent living away from your parents. Not the smartest thing to have done. Your student loan debt is higher than it had to be, because of this. Any future bf is going to look hard at the debt you carry and realize that you want to throw it on his shoulders - a big liability.

You don't even want to work (and a future bf will realize that you will stop working at the earliest moment, leaving him to carry the full burden AND your student loan debt). It sounds like you really have no calling for the field you chose - so why did you accrue that debt for a low-paying field that you have no intention of working long in?
I got full scholarships for undergrad and grad school my debt is really small compared to some. And social workers get public loan forgiveness after 10 years in certain fields and I can do income based repayments until then. Where my payment will be like 10-15% of my income which will be low. So I figured it out before I jumped in. I do want to not work though or work very very flexible hours

Old 05-26-2016, 01:21 PM

I found an apartment I'm afraid it's 801 a month. I think I can swing that

Old 05-28-2016, 04:09 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,754,623 times
Just setup an Online dating profile. You'll get a ton of messages in the first few minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships