Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 06:37 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,035,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I don't know. It's not a simple thing to diagnose.

That said, this wouldn't be a person I would want to date, whether she was or was not. The diagnosis is rather irrelevent.
i am not one to look down on drinkers, the tell tale is she hides a clear liquid in a water bottle.

If I drink publically where I should not, I still drink beer or wine but I just pour it out of the glass bottle and into a regular cup. That is not because I am hiding it persay, but attempting to be respectful of the no alcohol rule. Like at the pool.

Last time I went to great lengths to hide alcohol was in high school, which would be southern comfort in a Mountain Dew bottle. I just needed to graduate without being expelled. And alcohol made it a heck of a lot easier to sit through the drama of high school.

The red flag is that she is a grown adult going out of her way to hide the alcohol, which leads me to believe she knows that she has an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 06:41 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,636,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraggles View Post
So I am curious what your thoughts are and whether or not you would consider this an issue or not.
A girl I met online and I have been on three dates. On our third date we decided to go see a movie. While we were watching it about 10 minutes in she pulled out a water bottle and started drinking it, no big deal I thought. But then she asked me if I wanted a drink and that her water bottle actually had vodka in it.

Now previously she had got a long Island ice tea on our date prior which I thought nothing of and asked me if I liked to drink to which I said now and then, and that was that.

Well during the movie she ended up drinking the whole bottle, though she can obviously handle her liquor because after the movie even though you could definitely smell alcohol on her she really didn't seem to be very affected by it. I drove us there and her to her place so she wasn't driving.

Well actually get along well and I realize putting vodka in a bottle isn't new but I did think it was odd to do for a third date. Do you think it's a big deal? Or nothing to worry about unless she drinks on every other date?
This is something those that suffer from alcoholism would do. Mixing vodka with water, hiding liquor/beer cans in couch cushions/behind things, etc.

Old 06-10-2016, 06:41 AM

9 posts, read 4,240 times
I think you should go on a few more dates with her then judge if she's an alcoholic, you really can't be sure at the moment

Old 06-10-2016, 06:47 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,035,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
This is something those that suffer from alcoholism would do. Mixing vodka with water, hiding liquor/beer cans in couch cushions/behind things, etc.
Exactly.

Old 06-10-2016, 06:48 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
Before you dump her, why don't you talk to her and find out how much she drinks. If its within reason, and you want to keep dating her, fine. But if you find that she actually drinks more than she claims she does, then I'd suggest cutting it off. Lying about how much a person drinks is a clear sign of a problem.

Old 06-10-2016, 06:52 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
What happened on dates 1 and 2?

Old 06-10-2016, 07:33 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,348,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I don't know. It's not a simple thing to diagnose.

That said, this wouldn't be a person I would want to date, whether she was or was not. The diagnosis is rather irrelevent.

I agree. Not appealing whatever label you attach to it.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:34 AM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 1,193,660 times
One thing is for sure, she likes to drink, and likes to drink a lot. Long Island's are full of booze. And an entire water bottle of straight vodka? Wowza! I couldn't even handle that, and my go to is Scotch whiskey. Does she become a sloppy drunk? Belligerent?

One question you have to ask yourself is if that's something you want to put up with. I live with an alcoholic roommate, and sometimes he can be a bit much to deal with. He gets loud, obnoxious, starts breaking glasses because he can't hold onto them. That's annoying after awhile. If he were a woman, I would never be interested in that. Just some things to think about.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:50 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
No bueno. Whether she's an alkie is really beside the point - do you condone this behavior in a girlfriend?

Old 06-10-2016, 08:28 AM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times
She definitely has signs that point that way, we can't be sure in those examples, but red flags are up.

I think it's the matter of fact way she went about it that triggers something in me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships