Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2020, 04:58 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,974,219 times

Advertisements

I was born in the desert. Worst I can remember is having to do P.E. in 110-113 degrees heat. The asphalt was so hot that the bottom of our sneakers felt sticky. We took the bus because school was across town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2020, 12:31 AM

17,639 posts, read 22,653,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Maybe, but I heard that back in the day you guys had to walk to and from school barefoot in the snow.... up hill, both to and from.
In the southern states dad was stationed in (US Army) sometimes we didn't wear shoes, so we did walk everywhere barefoot. The asphalt was very HOT in the summer...

Old 12-20-2020, 03:36 PM

52,305 posts, read 52,734,263 times
So I'm in line at the pet store picking up something for the other lady in my life. Im in the check out line and this guy in front of me had a beagle with him.

I'm looking at the beagle, he's looking at me. I'm looking at him, you get the idea. Beagles have got those eyes that seem to pierce right through you. It was like he was looking me and wanted to ask if was ok and how I'm handling things. He gives me a slight head tilt to really drive the point home. I said to myself, I'm ok Mr. Beagle, be sure to take care of your family.

Old 12-20-2020, 04:22 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,974,219 times
We have a full size Santa that stands in the living room looking out the window. I know it’s there but it keeps freaking me out..especially when it’s dark. It looks like someone is standing there. Lol
I might have to put some Christmas lights on him.
Beautiful day here today. We strapped the boys to our chests and took them for a short horseback ride to meet their horses. The two little French saddle ponies we bought from a neighbor. 5 month olds having their own horses.... not me, talk to their dad.

Old 12-20-2020, 07:50 PM

2,227 posts, read 1,406,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
If I missed the bus, (stay after class, detention, etc.) I did have to walk 2 miles home. Even in a blizzard. Often.
Hence my love of walking.
If I was asked to do that I’d probably be dead....
I’m from Southeast Asia. My ideal comfort zone is between 72 and 86 F. I can handle down to 45 F. But beyond that I feel uncomfortable walking outside. I keep a heat lamp above me to stay comfortable in winter.

Old 12-20-2020, 08:05 PM

52,305 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenI69 View Post
I’m from Southeast Asia. My ideal comfort zone is between 72 and 86 F. I can handle down to 45 F. But beyond that I feel uncomfortable walking outside. I keep a heat lamp above me to stay comfortable in winter.
Doesn't India/ Pakistan subscribe to the metric system. Very convenient of you to provide us Americans the F reference. 22 or 23 C degrees doesn't mean much to us.

Being an HVAC guy for the last 30 yrs I have a bit of an idea of the psychrometric chart and various measurement systems.

Last edited by Chowhound; 12-20-2020 at 08:21 PM..

Old 12-20-2020, 09:52 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,871,783 times
Quote:
I go for a 7-8 mile hike Tues and Thurs mornings. My friend and I vowed to go right through the winter this year, as The state park we go to is open and even rents snow shoes. It’ll be 30 F above Tuesday, which is just fine for me, I probably won’t even wear gloves. BUT Thursday morning it’s only going to be 2 F! Yes you read that right: 2!

Challenge accepted.

Old 12-21-2020, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
I go for a 7-8 mile hike Tues and Thurs mornings. My friend and I vowed to go right through the winter this year, as The state park we go to is open and even rents snow shoes. It’ll be 30 F above Tuesday, which is just fine for me, I probably won’t even wear gloves. BUT Thursday morning it’s only going to be 2 F! Yes you read that right: 2!

Challenge accepted.
Ugh, 2F . I’d say no and just hibernate under my lamp .
It’s around 55 F on Thursday, so I will probably go out for a run since all the snow will melt away.

Old 12-21-2020, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Doesn't India/ Pakistan subscribe to the metric system. Very convenient of you to provide us Americans the F reference. 22 or 23 C degrees doesn't mean much to us.

Being an HVAC guy for the last 30 yrs I have a bit of an idea of the psychrometric chart and various measurement systems.
Well, I was born and brought up in NYC. My parents are from India, more specifically in the mountains of Kerala where it’s 33 C (92 F) in summer and 20 C (68 F) in winter. So other than peak summer in May, it’s comfortably warm for a good chunk of the year.

Old 12-21-2020, 08:28 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,871,783 times
Quote:
Well, I was born and brought up in NYC. My parents are from India, more specifically in the mountains of Kerala where it’s 90 F in summer and 72 F in winter. So other than peak summer in May, it’s comfortably warm for a good chunk of the year.
My first job out of college was in Las Vegas. I was poor and got off of a plane, rented a very cheap apartment in a bad neighborhood and began by walking to work. It’s not uncommon to have days above 100F. I was miserable enough to immediately get a second job that I walked to as well, to save every spare cent for an air conditioned car to drive. Within a couple of months of arriving I paid cash for a car, and I didn’t even have a drivers license.

I can stand the cold much better than the heat. As anyone I’ve ever lived, or worked with will attest to. A person can always wear more layers to adjust when they’re cold, but there is only a limited amount of clothing to take off if you’re warm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships