Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2020, 10:53 AM

2,227 posts, read 1,406,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Hey ehm... Just wanted to say I'm sorry if I got all political and junk in here. I know we're not generally trying to get so heavy. Stuff is just on my mind lately. Largely because of the number of desperate, struggling people in my life that I am trying to help stay afloat. Sometimes I wish I could just turn my back on them...but I can't.

When I complain about "why do things have to be so damn hard?" I'm not talking about myself. I'm alright. It's several people in my immediate circles, relatives, friends, and just hearing story after story after story of despair. And knowing that my state of alright-ness is luck as much as it's anything else. I keep trying to do what I can to help, but it is never enough. And I'm getting tired.
I know you are going through a lot. Sometimes you need to speak your mind to get your thoughts out of the mind. It helps with mental health.
Most people on this thread have a civil conversation about their feelings and activities. That’s why I post here. It is not a mud slinging fest that POC has evolved into which brings out the most gruesome anger within me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2020, 10:57 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,565,786 times
I have to admit, as chill as I usually am about such things, I'm beginning to get a bit weirded out here. For several reasons, I'm really glad that this is a somewhat anonymous forum.

Old 12-28-2020, 11:02 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenI69 View Post
I know you are going through a lot. Sometimes you need to speak your mind to get your thoughts out of the mind. It helps with mental health.
Most people on this thread have a civil conversation about their feelings and activities. That’s why I post here. It is not a mud slinging fest that POC has evolved into which brings out the most gruesome anger within me.
Yeah, I tend to avoid that subforum, too. Once in a while I'll scan over it, but out of all the times I've ever typed up a reply to a thread on there, more than half of the time I remembered that it was a waste of time and deleted it instead.

Along those lines but worse, are the comments sections of the local news. Like my local network news will post on Facebook an article about a national news item or even the local weather, and dozens of trolls, bots, and idiots will pile on to make inane, stupid comments.

I'm never quite sure, if the internet is a monumental advancement for humankind, with the ability to look up all sorts of bits of information at any moment right at our fingertips, the entire educational materials of a college like MIT out there for free, for anyone to use to educate themselves, directions and recipes and diagrams and how to's on any subject you can imagine... The power of that, is incredible. Really. And yet, maybe predictably, here we are and most people use the internet for trifling entertainments, and to reveal that they've got no critical thinking skills whatsoever. And the scammers and grifters of this world are using it to their full advantage...because of course they are. We just can't have nice things.

Old 12-28-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenI69 View Post
Yup, that’s why I added snow tyres to my volt .
It does kill my mpg though, but safety is more important than getting a coveted 61 mpg.
This car hasn't had snow tires yet, but on my older car, the Nokians didn't seem to to affect the milage. I'm getting ready to sell the old ride, so I didn't bother having the tires mounted this season. I'll have to keep track to see how much the winter tires affect the new car's mpg.

How much do you lose in mpg when your car is sporting its winter tires?

Last edited by Formerly Known As Twenty; 12-28-2020 at 11:13 AM..

Old 12-28-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moongirl00 View Post
Let's hope he doesn't find out your address and show up at your door, forcing you to file for a restraining order and such.
I hope not. It's getting weirder though--especially since the two things that have been receptively mentioned were never mentioned on this particular sub. Those comments were deliberately sought out as they are buried in two separate threads which were started by other posters--months apart, no less. It's just odd and sad.

Such a thing has happened to me real life with people who I knew, but it never escalated to the point of involving the authorities, thank goodness.

I remember that you'd been through such a thing where it got to that point; I'm really sorry that you had to deal with that.

Old 12-28-2020, 11:17 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,871,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
I hope not. It's getting weirder though--especially since the two things that have been receptively mentioned were never mentioned on this particular sub. It's just odd and sad.

Such a thing has happened to me real life with people who I knew, but it never escalated to the point of involving the authorities, thank goodness.

I remember that you'd been through such a thing where it got to that point; I'm really sorry that you had to deal with that.
And with that, sorry to continue on any fear or paranoia ... but I must emphasize once again. I have sent reps to people who's names can be seen on their photo attachment. Their first and last name. Whether through google photos, imgur photos, whatever the method, I am able to see their first and last name.

Please, if this happens with any pic I attach, let me know.

There is a former poster who has let me know they figured out exactly where I am, and though I don't fear them, it is a creepy feeling.

Thank you, and be safe.

Old 12-28-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
And with that, sorry to continue on any fear or paranoia ... but I must emphasize once again. I have sent reps to people who's names can be seen on their photo attachment. Their first and last name. Whether through google photos, imgur photos, whatever the method, I am able to see their first and last name.

There is a former poster who has let me know they figured out exactly where I am, and though I don't fear them, it is a creepy feeling.

Thank you, and be safe.
Thanks for the solid advice.

It's not hard to figure out who I am (especially if another poster knows me in real life), but I am careful to not post pictures that show my house or vehicle and to not mention my former profession or where I went to school. No sense in making things super easy just in case. If I was truly fearful, there's no way that I would drop as many as identifying details as I do on CD.

I'm not one to live my life in fear (though reasonable caution is always prudent) and most people are relatively harmless, but hyper focus of this sort on the part of others brings back some interesting memories.

Last edited by Formerly Known As Twenty; 12-28-2020 at 11:41 AM..

Old 12-28-2020, 11:37 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post

Thank you, and be safe.
Whoa. That is pretty creepy.

I actually wouldn't be too shocked if people could find me by my photos. But in a lot of ways, I do not keep the lowest profile. I think I always just assume that no one is going to be that interested in me.

Besides which, the only guy I've been kinda afraid of, my ex, already knows exactly where I'm at...but thankfully I think I "managed" him well enough that we got through whatever period of time where he was off the rails and might have been a danger...he's calmed down a lot. I think they might have found some good meds for him, but I don't know. Could also be I just don't interact with him much anymore.

After him, I'm not afraid of much.

Old 12-28-2020, 11:45 AM

2,227 posts, read 1,406,083 times
Quote:
Yeah, I tend to avoid that subforum, too. Once in a while I'll scan over it, but out of all the times I've ever typed up a reply to a thread on there, more than half of the time I remembered that it was a waste of time and deleted it instead.

Along those lines but worse, are the comments sections of the local news. Like my local network news will post on Facebook an article about a national news item or even the local weather, and dozens of trolls, bots, and idiots will pile on to make inane, stupid comments.

I'm never quite sure, if the internet is a monumental advancement for humankind, with the ability to look up all sorts of bits of information at any moment right at our fingertips, the entire educational materials of a college like MIT out there for free, for anyone to use to educate themselves, directions and recipes and diagrams and how to's on any subject you can imagine... The power of that, is incredible. Really. And yet, maybe predictably, here we are and most people use the internet for trifling entertainments, and to reveal that they've got no critical thinking skills whatsoever. And the scammers and grifters of this world are using it to their full advantage...because of course they are. We just can't have nice things.
Yeah, the Detroit free press has some hard line political hacks who publicly expose their hatred. It’s just disgusting that within a developed nation in 2020 people still do not see each other with equal eyes, in a country built upon liberty and equality. It pains me as a naturalized American citizen from Southeast Asia, how poorly some of the native born Americans conduct themselves. The world’s view of America has soured due to these bad apples. I hope that one day these people will learn that freedom of speech isn’t free from consequences. Poor conduct does have its consequences.

Old 12-28-2020, 11:48 AM

29,750 posts, read 34,415,700 times
Quote:

I had to stop posting on my local forum here on CD, because it was hijacked by a bunch of bullies who make every topic insultingly political. It used to be a chill, civil board to discuss local issues with a good mix of posters from a variety of backgrounds, but these guys drove all the reasonable people away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships