Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2016, 08:18 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,482,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDayGuy View Post
Okay, it's hard to explain unless you see it in action.

But imagine this:

I am very aware that men can be disgusting animals. I've seen men do and say horrible things to women. As a result of being raised to be a gentleman, I also am aware of my body language and other people's physical space.

I do not encroach upon a woman's space. I keep my voice neutral and do not in any way make flirtatious overtures (actually one of my woman buddies told me that when a guy DOESN'T act flirtatious it can make a woman insecure and think the guy is messing with their heads).

When we converse, the conversation will flow smoothly as if I was talking to anyone. But I have noticed that the longer the conversation goes, the woman seems to be a little more rigid as if she's expecting me to make some advance that never arrives.

Again, if this happened across the board I wouldn't say anything, but guys I meet in the same situations NEVER BRING up girlfriends or whatever whereas women will bring it up with me and some of my less-attractive colleagues. Then my pretty boy buddies (WHEN TALKING TO THE SAME WOMAN) will note that the woman never brought up having a significant other.

I'm not making this up. I swear.
If the women suddenly become rigid, maybe they are misreading you? I don't know you good looking friends but maybe women they meet figure good looking men wouldn't be interested in them but think maybe you would be. It's really hard for me to say without actually being there. Don't let it get to you too much since you aren't interested in these women anyway. Maybe you can turn it around from something that bugs you to something funny by making a humorous game out of it and see how long it takes them to mention a boyfriend. Or maybe that's something only with my off beat sense of humor would enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 08:48 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,969,781 times
A lot of us females have had experience with some of these self proclaimed " nice guys" who in reality are not nice guys at all.. They feign being nice in order to get " in the door". When they fail... It's not them, it's her that's some kind of conceited ***** who feels she's too good for them. ( sour grapes).
Whenever I see a thread that starts out with what a nice person the OP says they are... I am skeptical. These types tend to build themselves up to make them look all innocent ( and to elicit sympathy from the reader) while painting the person they're having issues with as the culprit.... Just sayin.

Old 06-21-2016, 08:56 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,671,374 times
Why does everyone always make issue for holding door open?

Hell if I go through the door, of course I will hold it open for the person behind me whether be man or woman. Just say thanks and be done with it. A quick shoulder check to make sure door don't slam in someone's face is all it takes. Common courtesy......

Old 06-21-2016, 08:59 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,226,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post

Hell if I go through the door, of course I will hold it open for the person behind me whether be man or woman. Just say thanks and be done with it. A quick shoulder check to make sure door don't slam in someone's face is all it takes. Common courtesy......
Agreed!

Old 06-21-2016, 09:22 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,831,857 times
It appears from the other men commenting, that they don't have this happen, or it's uncommon, and they seem to think that you are making much ado about nothing.

If this happens to you often, then it seems like that is outside the norm based on what other guys here say. Given that you are not a creepy weirdo, why do you think this happens to you? Do you have any theories?

Does it offend you in some way when they do this? Do you take it personally? Bringing the topic up for discussion makes it seem like it does.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:26 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,438,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Ill ask again: why does it bother so much if they mention a boyfriend when you're not at the least interested in any of them?
I've noticed with some folks, even when the shoe doesn't fit, they still want to force it on.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:28 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,831,857 times
I can understand how it would be slightly off-putting to have someone mistake your intentions and "reject you" when you are not even interested.

The closest thing to it that I can relate to is when guy I was dating once very firmly told me that he was not going to give up his female friends just because he was dating me and that if I had a problem with that, I could walk away.

OK, well, I had no problem with his friends. I had not mentioned his friends, male or female, so I was more than a little bit stunned by his lecture and I was offended too. I think I just looked at him and said "Okay, whatever". I thought it was weird that he would even mention it in the first place.

Old 06-21-2016, 10:04 PM

302 posts, read 230,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post

I agree I always hold the door for anyone behind me.

Old 06-21-2016, 10:14 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,348,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I've noticed with some folks, even when the shoe doesn't fit, they still want to force it on.
Oh, we all know the deal here, and exactly whats going on with the OP. Its not like we rarely get these "I'm bitter at women" threads, Lol.

Yes, OP, women (like men) can be as shallow as a bowl of cereal. And if you're just beginning to notice this, you've been living under a rock.

Old 06-21-2016, 10:38 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,438,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by free.spirit View Post
I agree I always hold the door for anyone behind me.
I have been doing this all my life, and I'm a woman. It's how I was raised - to be courteous to the next person. It isn't a gender thing, a chivalry thing, or an uppity bleatch thing.

And I certainly wouldn't stop being courteous for the rest of my days, based on some random strangers' perceived misbehavior. I think assigning some random individual's outlandish reaction/behavior to an entire gender is immature, but we all do the best we can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships