Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 04:01 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,868,996 times

Advertisements

It'd be a bit of a red flag. I have a relative who started off just refusing to fly, and now barely leaves the house. I don't necessarily need to jet off overseas on a regular basis, but I do need a partner who isn't afraid of or dismissive about the world beyond their comfort zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 04:01 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Contrary to what you seem to believe, the effects of the recession are not over for many people in many parts of the country.

"Many years ago" my foot.

The "effects" of the recession and the recession are two very different things. Sure, there are people that were laid off that might never work again for whatever reason, so for them the "effects" might last the rest of their lives. That's quite different from the recession itself, which has a specific meaning in economic terms.

There are people today that never recovered from the late 70s recession, or the dot com bust, but that doesn't mean those things are still happening, of course.

Old 07-26-2016, 04:02 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,017,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Timber was using the economic definition of recession. Not the emotional one.
LMAO.

Seriously, what is the "emotional definition" of recession?

Old 07-26-2016, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Timber was using the economic definition of recession. Not the emotional one.

Correct. NBER is a great resource. I used to get their working paper series monthly at one of my offices. Some fascinating stuff.

Old 07-26-2016, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
The "effects" of the recession and the recession are two very different things. Sure, there are people that were laid off that might never work again for whatever reason, so for them the "effects" might last the rest of their lives. That's quite different from the recession itself, which has a specific meaning in economic terms.
This is fascinating stuff, truly.

And that fact that you put "effects" in quotes shows just how out of touch you really are.

Old 07-26-2016, 04:08 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,059,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayesian View Post
A great number of women on OKCupid claim that they love travel and some of them want to travel the world. Domestic travel isn't fancy enough for them, apparently.

Personally, I've travelled to a few places too but I can't travel too much anymore. I've always been afraid to fly since I was 10 years old, but my aerophobia was really out of control last year on an eventful flight. The fear of flight is holding me back from international travels. Currently, I don't fly unless I absolutely have to. My doctor prescribed Xanax but that's the last resort to panic attacks on flights.

Nevertheless, I do understand that women love travel more than men do. I'm fine if my SO wants to travel with her friends or alone.
When (age) did you do your traveling?

Old 07-26-2016, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
This is fascinating stuff, truly.

And that fact that you put "effects" in quotes shows just how out of touch you really are.
I'm out of touch? I'm not the one that thinks there is still a recession, nor am I the one that thinks that because some people might still be feeling the effects of the last one that it is synonymous with it still going on. That is being out touch!

But this just appears to be more muckraking / belittling, as sadly, is becoming so common here.

Old 07-26-2016, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
The fact that you think the recession is still in effect, and can't differentiate that from the effects of the recession that has ended on some people, shows how out of touch you really are. It seems like you don't know what a recession is.
My apologies. I should have simply stated that "no, the economy is not in a great position", notwithstanding all of the cranes and housing prices going up in certain areas.

ETA: I responded to this before you edited it. I won't bother to respond to your last edited comment.

Old 07-26-2016, 04:39 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,405,807 times
Dating is one thing…but if it gets serious it could be disappointing. I like to learn about other cultures and sometimes traveling there is the best way to do it. I haven't been out of the country in awhile but we have done other things. We lived and traveled the US for 3 1/2 years in our motorhome. That was a fun experience. We are thinking of hitting the road again…once a gypsy always a gypsy

As for flying…well I am planning on buying my husband lessons so he can get his pilot's license for his next birthday. I think he would love that

You could always be like Mr. T(yup…showing my age, lol) and get knocked out. Are there any places that you want to see that you would need to fly? I'm sure there are ways to calm you without making you addicted if that is the case.

Old 07-26-2016, 04:46 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,465,484 times
Let's just say I wouldn't like it, if a guy refused to fly or had to be medicated for it.

Air travel is sort of miserable, but it's not as bad as a trip to the dentist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships