Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 12:28 PM

1,261 posts, read 971,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Okay thanks, I guess I just sometimes feel like helping out a gf or friend less fortunate than me.

What about her resorting to selling my promise ring, cause she needs to pay bills, what do you think of that?
All I want to know is what flavor are you, cherry, grape, maybe watermelon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 12:29 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Okay thanks, I guess I just sometimes feel like helping out a gf or friend less fortunate than me.

What about her resorting to selling my promise ring, cause she needs to pay bills, what do you think of that?
I think she's telling you you don't matter.

And who the heck gives a "promise ring" after high school? More whackiness.

Old 09-27-2016, 12:36 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
If anyone remembers back to earlier posts if may be more understandable why this girl was so set against a pre nup.

Old 09-27-2016, 12:38 PM

997 posts, read 937,599 times
I didn't read the whole thread but the way to do it is to be direct.

You tell her in person and say that you don't want to see her anymore, or to continue the relationship.

You are sure this is what you want to do and what needs to be done.

My rule was that once I made the decision then the next time I saw the person I would break up. It is not fair to drag it on when you don't want to be there. It is fair to let her go, and let yourself go.

Be honest and say that you are fighting too much and it's not working out or something to that effect. The truth is, if you are fighting all the time, it is a sign that it is time to separate.

No hard feelings because you had something special and that is meaningful but sometimes it is time to go.

Old 09-27-2016, 12:44 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:

That ring meant nothing to her except that she could get rid of it for cold cash.
You should have broke up with her right there and then....

So you LIKE being used as a human ATM?
That is all you are to her.

Old 09-27-2016, 12:53 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Okay thanks, I guess I just sometimes feel like helping out a gf if I love her.

If you love her, why have you decided to break up with her?

Old 09-27-2016, 12:57 PM

594 posts, read 380,049 times
OP, something I've learned from having friends, girlfriends, wives, family members is that, there is nothing at all wrong with lending people money. But there is a very fine line between being helpful and being enabling. Your heart is in the right place, but what you may need to consider is that you're not, in fact, helping this woman.

Old 09-27-2016, 12:57 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,072,062 times
Because when I asked for people's advice on here, they said things like she is manipulating me, and that I should. So I thought my heart maybe is not the best judgement and that maybe I should break up with her.

Old 09-27-2016, 01:03 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Because when I asked for people's advice on here, they said things like she is manipulating me, and that I should. So I thought my heart maybe is not the best judgement and that maybe I should break up with her.
And I think you should to.

But dammit, dude, we're strangers. You're an adult. Think. Use that noggin. Make up your own mind and make a darn decision. It's not that hard.

Old 09-27-2016, 01:31 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Okay thanks, I guess I just sometimes feel like helping out a gf if I love her.
There is a huge difference between "helping out" your GF and buying a few bags of groceries or new tire for her car or chipping in for the electric bill because money is very tight for her one month and supporting her because she voluntarily left her business and lost money or because she is supporting someone else is just crazy. A big difference.

Quote:

My husband and I said the "for better or worse, in good times and in bad" etc. vows when we married.

Unfortunately there have been plenty of Bad Times and then even Worse Times. Frankly, I would sooner sell my kidney on the black market than ever consider selling my wedding ring or engagement ring. Your GF can do what I did during our bad times, get a second job in addition to the current full time job and if that is not enough get a third job to help with the money.

At one point, I had a fulltime job, a part time job and also two other very part time paying gigs (when my husband developed dementia and lost his good paying career and then had cancer and could not work at all). Yes, four jobs and I still helped care for my ill husband, that is what a real adult woman does when she has financial difficulties. A real adult woman does not beg her current lover for money. Sheesh, is she 12 years old or a hooker?

She is playing you for an absolute fool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships