Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 04:43 AM

5,110 posts, read 3,074,874 times

Advertisements

I have been having troubl in my relationship and asked for advice on here, before. A lot of people on here are saying that I should break up and I have decided, I am going to take the advice and do it. Basically the problems were in these previous threads.

How much fighting is normal in a healthy relationship?
If my girlfriend refuses to sign a pre-nup, should we not get married?
My girlfriend hurt me, but did I deserve it?

But everytime I try to break up, there is this emotional force, that stops, me that makes me feel like it is wrong, or that I am causing both of us, too much pain, since it feels like it is. This is second first break up and my first serious relationship, so I am new to this.

But does anyone have any advice on how to make it easier since it has been hard for some reason? Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 04:50 AM

914 posts, read 738,486 times
How to Break Up (with Pictures) - wikiHow

Old 09-27-2016, 05:22 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,128,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I have been having troubl in my relationship and asked for advice on here, before. A lot of people on here are saying that I should break up and I have decided, I am going to take the advice and do it. Basically the problems were in these previous threads.

How much fighting is normal in a healthy relationship?
If my girlfriend refuses to sign a pre-nup, should we not get married?
My girlfriend hurt me, but did I deserve it?

But everytime I try to break up, there is this emotional force, that stops, me that makes me feel like it is wrong, or that I am causing both of us, too much pain, since it feels like it is. This is second first break up and my first serious relationship, so I am new to this.

But does anyone have any advice on how to make it easier since it has been hard for some reason? Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it.
It's going to hurt no matter what. When I've done it, I've always been matter of fact about it, and when the other person freaked out, I just didn't argue. You don't need to be right, ( you already know you're right, and nothing you say will matter) you just need to move on.

Old 09-27-2016, 06:02 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,190,505 times
Toxic relationships have to go, whether it be a friend, or a girlfriend. The fact that you have posted more than once about different issues should confirm your own fact and feelings that this is not a relationship you should take forward. Relationships are hard enough when they're good, but when you have signs that raise a red flag, you better heed those signs. Many people don't, and think things will get better after they get married, and then they have even bigger problems. Why invest more time and energy in something you know in your heart isn't right.

Trust me, life moves on. I was cheated on after a 14 year relationship. I thought my life was over, I was devastated. Little did I realize, life was just beginning in a way I never knew possible. My life improved tremendously, his went down a crap hole, real, real fast and continued to spiral.

If there was an idol called Karma I'd build a shrine to it and thank it every day!!!

Just my 2 cents -

Best of luck!

Old 09-27-2016, 06:20 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,214,723 times
It's not easy unless you want to take the 'easy on you' way out and do it by text /email.
But you should do it in person, make it short and decisive and leave...no blaming or hashing over who did what.
Then, as said so many times on here, cut off all contact and her ability to contact you.
You might second guess it yourself for days after but don't let that change your mind.

Old 09-27-2016, 07:15 AM

22,599 posts, read 47,707,443 times
Sooooo... you would rather take the constant pain of being in a bad relationship, rather than the one-time pain of breaking it off.
Makes zero sense to me.

Old 09-27-2016, 07:21 AM

531 posts, read 384,911 times
Just tell her that youre done with her, and block/delete her from all forms of communication. Social media, phones, etc.

Old 09-27-2016, 07:21 AM

1,261 posts, read 972,241 times
Ask Rocky, hes an relationship expert.

Old 09-27-2016, 07:34 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,815,531 times
This is your two weeks notice that I am breaking up with you. After our formal exit interview I will not be writing you a reference letter nor training my replacement. Per our original agreement, all copies of our written discussions of compensation/benefits, vacation time, background checks, credit reports and/or drug tests are sealed by force of law.

Or go to lunch or dinner and do this (have the staff bring out a cake and sing a catchy break up song):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrtUDosTrS0

Old 09-27-2016, 09:29 AM

594 posts, read 380,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hand McLovin View Post
Ask Rocky, hes an relationship expert.
What I like do when I'm breaking up with someone is a little less conventional, but I believe it mitigates some of the heartbreak.

So, I'll plan a nice evening, dinner at my house or something. I'll cook a good meal, bottle of wine. We'll chat, keep everything friendly. As she's leaving, I'll see her to the door and, as she's exiting I'll simply say "I don't want to see you anymore. Please don't contact me." Then I'll close the door and that will be that. 60% of the time it works every time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships