Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 04:52 PM

2,625 posts, read 11,221,289 times

Advertisements

BASICALLY... i was married for 6 yrs, together 10 with my ex wife, anyway we bought a house in 1999, she cheated, i moved out in 2003, i let her keep the house, didnt fight for anything, because i wanted my kids to have a good home.Time went by, she has another baby, my kids moved in w/me and now shes trying to get a new house, the morgage company asked for me to go and sign off on the old house, because she never removed me the lease.Anyway their giving her a check for 36000 dollars, i asked her to give me atleast 4000 or else im not going to sign off, she got all mad, and called me greedy. I dont think im wrong for doing this.I lived their 4 yrs, helped pay the bills, if you break it down for what im asking for, thats less than 100 dolLars a month, which i contributed, i know i payed alot more than that!The divorce decree sts, i should get half, i should, shes the 1 that cheated, but anyway to make along story short, im only asking for 4000, to help buy my kids new bedroom sets, i dont think that too much to ask for.She already told me she wanst goint to pay Child Support, but thats another long story, first things first, am i wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 04:55 PM

733 posts, read 4,655,129 times
Are you divorced? If so your property settlement/decree will control.

Old 02-27-2008, 04:59 PM

Yes i am divorced , and it sts in the decree that if we ever sold our property, i would be entitled for half of whatever we got. I dont want halF because shes lived there for 9 yrs, and has paid the bills by herself for 5 yrs, RENT included, all i want is 4000 dollars for the time i lived there and helped pay the bills and rent.Ill be willing to cash the check give her 32000 and i'll keep 4000 for me, toi help me with the kids.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:18 PM

2,489 posts, read 8,178,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVOW View Post
Yes i am divorced , and it sts in the decree that if we ever sold our property, i would be entitled for half of whatever we got. I dont want halF because shes lived there for 9 yrs, and has paid the bills by herself for 5 yrs, RENT included, all i want is 4000 dollars for the time i lived there and helped pay the bills and rent.Ill be willing to cash the check give her 32000 and i'll keep 4000 for me, toi help me with the kids.
I would take the half the decree says you're entitled to! Put it in a savings account or trust or whatever for your kids if it would make you feel better taking the half. You never know what's down the road and you may need that money at some time.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:35 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,876,903 times
I don't think you are asking for to much. You are being more than fair and she's the one that cheated. You should get half.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:51 PM

338 posts, read 1,369,661 times
You are establishing a role model for your children... follow the guidelines the two of you set in your decree. That's what court is for... to come to terms. The terms were half/half. You take your half and demonstrate to your children how to stand up for themselves. Otherwise what they will have learned is devaluation for the time, monies, energy, and whatever other resources you invested into the settlement process in the first place. They will respect you more when you demonstrate that you stood for what was right - and stood up for them and yourself. Then pat yourself on the back for having done so! Best of everything to you and your family as you continue down your journey together. Peace ~

Old 02-27-2008, 09:19 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,869,787 times
All I can say is you should talk to an attorney about this stuff. You should have really got a prenup to protect yourself. Your fault for being naive.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:28 AM

thank you all for your advice, i will definately take them into consideration.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:35 AM

51 posts, read 191,422 times
Take what the court says that you are owed. Write her a check if you don't want to keep all of it, or put it into savings to pay for your kid's college.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:47 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,327,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVOW View Post
Take what she agreed to in the divorce settlement. It can't be re-written after the fact to suit one or even both parties without going back to family court. Get what was agreed to and if you don't want/need it, put as much or as little as you want into college funds. As for child support, make her pay. If she's the non-custodial parent, she MUST contribute, whether she likes it or not. Children don't stop eating or wearing clothing or needing a place to sleep every day and night, just because it's not 'convenient' for someone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships