Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 12:28 AM

19,723 posts, read 20,259,734 times

Advertisements

Ehhhh... Your family isn't exactly qualified to judge your level of attractiveness...lol (my 2cent)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 01:16 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Why are you aiming at 10's? Why not go for the women with the best personality who have their act together? Those would be all over the spectrum. I'm assuming you want someone you can get along with, right?

Old 01-26-2017, 03:24 AM

574 posts, read 377,283 times
Physical attractiveness only opens the door. Once you get inside, everything else becomes just as important. In my case, it is an age thing. I am 60. So that means that I need to not even bother outside my age range. I see it at the gym a lot. Older men trying to chat up young girls. Its just rude and creepy. You would not like it if Mildred in the rest home rammed her walker into you and asked you for a date.

We all need to be honest with ourselves about exactly what league we are in.

Old 01-26-2017, 03:34 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,618,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie60 View Post
Physical attractiveness only opens the door. Once you get inside, everything else becomes just as important. In my case, it is an age thing. I am 60. So that means that I need to not even bother outside my age range. I see it at the gym a lot. Older men trying to chat up young girls. Its just rude and creepy. You would not like it if Mildred in the rest home rammed her walker into you and asked you for a date.

I see your point with the huge age differences, but I would say that it depends. I guess you can have a general idea about what league you're in, but there are a lot of men out there that I personally would never be interested in, yet I'm sure they can attract other women of similar or higher quality. So you shouldn't necessarily assume that a certain look or "type" of person is out of your league just based on one rejection. And just because you think that someone should be in your league doesn't mean that they'd actually ever consider you.

Old 01-26-2017, 03:50 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,428,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 786man View Post
I wanted to know, do you guys feel the same way?
No I do not subscribe to the notion of "leagues" at all. I think it is a self-fulfilling thing where people convince themselves they can not get the people they want - so they do not try - and so they do not get them - and so their idea is confirmed.

The entire notion is predicated on the assumption that who you are attracted to is dictated by who is attracted to you. But ask yourself - if I transplanted your entire mind into other bodies - say a morbidly obese 30 year old man for all tomorrow - and a hollywood superstar stud all day for the day after - do you honestly believe that your attraction to the people you are attracted to _now_ would go away? Or that your lack of attraction to the people you are _not_ attracted to _now_ would go away?

No I see no reason to believe that myself. And the probability that a person _you_ rate as a "10" is attracted to you is likely identical to the person _you_ rate as a "3". And I say _you_ because this rating scheme is subjective nonsnese. What is a "10" for you may well be a "1" for me. Hollywood female stars for example. I know many men dream about them but I can not think of a single one that has done it for me.

Give me - for example - the Irish Singer Lisa Hannigan any day. She is my version of a "10" and most holywood lead role actresses of the last 20 years would barely manage a "5" on my scale. With the sole exception of Jennifer Lawrence who would certainly be pushing a little past 7.

I know my girlfriends - as I am the M in an MFF relationship - reach a level of consensus attractiveness among my male peers that they are genuinely baffled how someone like me "landed" people like them. It seems they hit 7-10 on the scale of all my male friends while I - someone who admits to looking like a 40 year old version of the Milky Bar Kid turned computer programmer - barely rate in the 2-4 area.

Why they ask me? Because - I tell them - I did not let myself be held back by nonsense artificial subjective constructs and I simply pursued the people who _I_ found attractive safe in the knowledge that the probability they were mutually attracted to me was the same as anyone else on the planet.

Old 01-26-2017, 03:57 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,959,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie60 View Post

This is a great and funny post!

I like the outside/inside thing. It would be a disappointment if upon driving up to a very nice looking house only to find the inside undesirable.

Good advice from this guy to you OP. Clean up!

Old 01-26-2017, 04:17 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,351,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
This is a great and funny post!

I like the outside/inside thing. It would be a disappointment if upon driving up to a very nice looking house only to find the inside undesirable.

Good advice from this guy to you OP. Clean up!
You have to understand this guy is 18. How much advise, if any, will he heed to? Most likely none.

He will soon learn the realities of dating once he's out there experiencing it for himself.

Old 01-26-2017, 04:35 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
Leagues are as real as working class, middle class, and upper class in the United States.

Old 01-26-2017, 04:49 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,211,073 times
'Leagues" exist in one's own mind.
The way the term is used around here implies that some people are 'better' or more worthy than another for one reason or another, most generally based on looks.
Either you put them there yourself or allowed other's opinions to do so.
Someone is 'out of your league' if you already believe it to be so.
Compatibility is a different matter.

Old 01-26-2017, 04:50 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,870,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Leagues are as real as working class, middle class, and upper class in the United States.
Real to those who use that superficial crap for relationships. Funny thing is THEY are the ones with the most difficulties in dating.

You ever read here: "Things are going great! I found myself an 8 who thought she was only a six, I am a domineering 5 and we really CLICK!!"

No, you don't read that. Those types have a hard time figuring out what's important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships