Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 10:44 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
But isn't being realistic about your appearance an acknowledgement that leagues or something like leagues exist.
I personally don't think so because ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post

Attraction is subjective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckOfMs View Post

With humans, attractiveness is much more subjective.

Also, attractiveness doesn't just involve physical appearance. Personality, biological factors (types of immunity plays a big part in attraction), intellect, social status, etc...

These things all differ from person to person.
... and when that many factors vary among that many people, when we all like different things that can vary in different combinations, you can't really have agreed-upon "leagues," when you drill deep down and think about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 10:47 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
Quote:
Don't believe in leagues.

Attraction is subjective.
So you think that people are equally attracted to a guy with fitting clothes, fresh haircut, white teeth, sparkly eyes than a guy with droopy eyes, comb over, rotten teeth and moles in his face?

Old 01-26-2017, 11:14 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,350,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I personally don't think so because ...

... and when that many factors vary among that many people, when we all like different things that can vary in different combinations, you can't really have agreed-upon "leagues," when you drill deep down and think about it.
So you'd put your money on Giamatti over Cavill

Attractiveness is subjective, but people tend to value similar things. Generally, the more people who find you attractive, the easier time you'll have in the first impression department. And often, the subjectivity of attractiveness shows up in one person finding attractive person A more attractive, and another finding attractive person B more attractive. It's far more rare for one person to find generally unattractive person C more attractive than A or B.

Old 01-26-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Oh, I don't value him for those things lol. Those were just what I immediately saw. Honestly, sometimes the physical appearance is what piques our interest first...not always but sometimes, especially if we're only looking at a photo. I guess the point I was trying to make is that no one should feel that someone is out of their league because you never know what that other person is physically attracted to. We shouldn't assume that if the other person is more attractive that they wouldn't be attracted to us. Never know 'til one tries, I suppose. He didn't hold back in telling me that he was attracted to me (he actually brought it up first) and the more we chatted/talked, the more we became attracted to each other based on personalities, which is the most important thing and those are what I value in him. There's chemistry in our talks...similar humor/interests/backgrounds, etc.

The bolded--not sure what you mean?
Yeah, that was worded awkwardly. I'll take your word that you weren't attracted to his appearance, but you listed those qualities because they communicate his attractiveness. Tall, fit, handsome and young are nice things to be, in part because people find those traits attractive. Most often, men who are tall, fit, handsome and young gravitate toward women who are fit, pretty, and young. Not always, but most of the time, and so that means something.

Old 01-26-2017, 11:25 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,725,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
So you think that people are equally attracted to a guy with fitting clothes, fresh haircut, white teeth, sparkly eyes than a guy with droopy eyes, comb over, rotten teeth and moles in his face?
Maybe not the majority but it's certainly happened a few times.

I see it every time I'm out in public.

I don't believe in leagues because it gives off a certain level of superiority, which I personally CANNOT stand. It's like calling someone a lesser being because they don't have XYZ or aren't seen as attractive as such and such. Some people like to call this a REALITY....but I think it's just an excuse to bring people down. That's just my opinion.

Old 01-26-2017, 11:29 AM

217 posts, read 237,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
Yeah, that was worded awkwardly. I'll take your word that you weren't attracted to his appearance, but you listed those qualities because they communicate his attractiveness. Tall, fit, handsome and young are nice things to be, in part because people find those traits attractive. Most often, men who are tall, fit, handsome and young gravitate toward women who are fit, pretty, and young. Not always, but most of the time, and so that means something.
Hey, I gravitate toward those kind of women too. That doesn't mean I'm tall, fit, or handsome. In fact, I know I am at most, only one of those three (fit).

Old 01-26-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Maybe not the majority but it's certainly happened a few times.

I see it every time I'm out in public.

I don't believe in leagues because it gives off a certain level of superiority, which I personally CANNOT stand. It's like calling someone a lesser being because they don't have XYZ or aren't seen as attractive as such and such. Some people like to call this a REALITY....but I think it's just an excuse to bring people down. That's just my opinion.
I totally agree that there's no "value" in being attractive. I'm also not a fan of people talking about this in terms of value or superiority. I can also agree that there's no REALITY that we all have to agree on. It's my opinion that being conventionally attractive has real advantages in most cases. I think that enough people seek out as many attractive qualities in a partner as they can, and that leads to the artifact that couples are most often about the same level of attractiveness, exceptions notwithstanding. That is real.

Old 01-26-2017, 11:42 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
Quote:

I have a different one but you might be right, many people may think like that.

I have dated guys who weren't super hot. I did not feel superior or better. I don't feel superior or better than anybody because everybody has "something." If it is warm eyes, charm, humor, witt, intelligence, ...

According to your concept, who should feel superior: they average looking guy with a high IQ or the hot guy with a lower IQ or the average guy with tons of money?

Old 01-26-2017, 12:16 PM

217 posts, read 237,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
According to your concept, who should feel superior: they average looking guy with a high IQ or the hot guy with a lower IQ or the average guy with tons of money?
I'd say whichever guy has the least amount of trouble getting a girlfriend who's attractive. And after a breakup, the one who takes the least amount of time to get another one.

Old 01-26-2017, 12:16 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,870,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Anyone who doesn't think leagues are real should ask themselves if they could ever TRUTHFULLY visualize Jennifer Lawrence dating and sexing up a 300lb neckbearded guy with a beer gut. That will give you your answer.
I didn't say leagues don't exist, I said they're for people who are superficial and don't understand what is important. They never seem to find happiness with another, because they can't be happy with them-self. IMO

I've seen plenty of JL/neckbearded couples. I didn't wonder what she saw in him, I assumed she saw something attractive to her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships