Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 07:18 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times

Advertisements

We weren't married, but we were together for 7 years and lived together for 4.

You absolutely MUST find someone who shares the same values and is an EQUAL PARTNER in effort and direction.
You absolutely MUST find someone who is committed to being a grown-up.
You absolutely MUST respect them and trust them 100% (and it has to be because they earned it).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 07:24 AM

28,899 posts, read 30,279,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I was divorced at 21 after a brief 3 year marriage that thankfully produced no children. I was stupid young and he wasn't much better despite being 24. We both made many mistakes. My second husband and I were married for 26 years until his death and I can see where I made a lot of mistakes, different than the first but still mistakes. I was 29 when I married him, he was 49.

Looking back I saw red flags but chose to ignore them because I was "in love" and a certain part was purely "lust". If I had the wisdom then as I do now 35 years later I would not have gotten involved with him at all. Not saying he was a bad person or husband, he was just not the right guy for me.

As we get older I think the majority of us realize what we can live with and what are deal breakers. I know I have and if I ever marry again (which I'm 99% sure I won't) I hope I will have learned by these mistakes.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
We weren't married, but we were together for 7 years and lived together for 4.

You absolutely MUST find someone who shares the same values and is an EQUAL PARTNER in effort and direction.
You absolutely MUST find someone who is committed to being a grown-up.
You absolutely MUST respect them and trust them 100% (and it has to be because they earned it).
I used to tell my son, while he was growing up....be honest, no matter how much it hurts....

and I lived by that, except one time, b/c of bad advice from family members....literally went against my own personal constitution. It was a series of events....that turned out very badly and believe you me, I learned a very difficult lesson, to never ever lie, regardless, always be upfront and honest.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:38 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,113,422 times
I learned that I cannot fix other people- only God can do that. I also learned that I needed fixing- from God.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:25 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,037,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrich View Post
I am not a shrink but if I was my question would be "What did you do that made these guys you "fixed" all leave you?"
I have no idea. They just say they are not happy with me. Like I do not make them happy. But I don't think it is my job to make anyone but myself happy. Happiness is within and you just choose to be happy...or not.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
I could answer this for you..... Counseling!!
I have done counseling for years and still can't pinpoint why I only attract users, losers and very damaged men. I wish I could tell you. Thankfully at this point, I can now pick them out and send them on their way prior to becoming invested, but it certainly would be nice to find a normal, mentally healthy man that wants me.

Here lately I seem to have the married men going through a mid life crisis sniffing around... And I want my own husband and not someone else's fool, so I do not give them a minute of my time.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:08 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,407,210 times
I learned not to try so hard to be a good woman that I fail to ask myself if the person I am with is a good man.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:43 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I have done counseling for years and still can't pinpoint why I only attract users, losers and very damaged men. I wish I could tell you. Thankfully at this point, I can now pick them out and send them on their way prior to becoming invested, but it certainly would be nice to find a normal, mentally healthy man that wants me.

Here lately I seem to have the married men going through a mid life crisis sniffing around... And I want my own husband and not someone else's fool, so I do not give them a minute of my time.
By nature, theirs, some people are "fixers." Some are "savers." Some are both. I "saved" my first wife and should have let someone else do it. While our marriage benefitted my current wife financially after she spent 18 years as a single, working mother raising and helping her daughters with no help, whatsoever, from their father, she was and remains a strong woman with income of her own. This marriage has been much better all around for both of us.

What I learned from the first marriage which collapsed after 25 years and should have done so much earlier is to avoid those who are needy because of their life choices. Try it. You may like it. Unfortunately, those you "save" may lack the capacity for appreciation. They may be merely users. You attract them because you allow them in your life. Stop it!

Old 03-23-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
By nature, theirs, some people are "fixers." Some are "savers." Some are both. I "saved" my first wife and should have let someone else do it. While our marriage benefitted my current wife financially after she spent 18 years as a single, working mother raising and helping her daughters with no help, whatsoever, from their father, she was and remains a strong woman with income of her own. This marriage has been much better all around for both of us.

What I learned from the first marriage which collapsed after 25 years and should have done so much earlier is to avoid those who are needy because of their life choices. Try it. You may like it. Unfortunately, those you "save" may lack the capacity for appreciation. They may be merely users. You attract them because you allow them in your life. Stop it!
I am definitely a fixer by nature. But over the last 18 months or so, I have gotten very good at not volunteering to fix anything. One would think this would cause me to stop having the strays appear in my life if I do not "feed them", and I would have room for those that do not need fixing, but the result has been to not really have anyone around. Which is honestly getting a little lonely. However I have learned why many of my friends were my friends for years, and I now know how valuable I was to them.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post

the same thing used to happen to me, but no more, as I realized, I allowed them in my life, and I started to cut out my so called, Toxic Friends. you can spot them pretty quickly. Just say No....

You don't owe anyone but your self a thing, and you deserve better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships