Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 02:06 PM

80 posts, read 112,297 times

Advertisements

My sister isn't really religious, I would have to ask her about church activities. My sister loves Wyoming and small town atmospheres in general. Convincing her to move will be very hard as she has fallen head over heals in love with Wyoming. We are different in that way because I am very much a city girl.

A lot of the men in her town are relatively well of thanks to the gas/oil industry.

Here's an article about her town:https://mobile.nytimes.com/2008/10/0...05wyoming.html

Last edited by LisaMesa; 04-12-2017 at 02:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 02:34 PM

52,233 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Guys like to hang out in bars and give women dirty looks to stay away.

Not true. Period. Or so rare, you can walk down the street to another bar.
Agreed. The OP is full of generalization and hyperbole to the point of being a little silly, or an excuse to bash the men in that city, IDK, take your pick.

Never in my life have I ever seen a group of men give a woman dirty looks to get her to stay away. LOL. If she was an Ebola carrier I can see it, other wise it sounds like a made up story.

Old 04-12-2017, 02:42 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
She needs to find a way to connect more with ranchers, perhaps, teachers or school principals, and other men whose lives don't revolve around the oil industry, maybe. There are some decent guys out there. The question is: how/where to find them. Rodeos and county fairs? She'll need to look beyond her small town.

Old 04-12-2017, 02:45 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,722,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Agreed. The OP is full of generalization and hyperbole to the point of being a little silly, or an excuse to bash the men in that city, IDK, take your pick.

Never in my life have I ever seen a group of men give a woman dirty looks to get her to stay away. LOL. If she was an Ebola carrier I can see it, other wise it sounds like a made up story.
Maybe if it was a male leather bar?

Old 04-12-2017, 03:56 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMesa View Post
My sister says when she goes out at night that bars are basically filled with men.
That's 99% of the problem right there.

Quote:
So what would you do if you were in my sister' position? She can't leave this city yet and actually enjoys her job there. It's just the dating scene that has been terrible. Have any women experienced living in a predominantly male blue collar town before? If so, how did you guys survive the dating scene?
Your sister needs to get involved with volunteer activities in and around the local community. That would put her into contact with higher quality men, as well as letting her meet people outside of the bar scene.

Old 04-12-2017, 04:22 PM

226 posts, read 297,988 times
You've heard the expression "safety in numbers"? Advise your sister to go to bars with a group of women. A woman going into a bar alone can sometimes be mistaken for a prostitute, in which case the men might treat her with less respect.

Old 04-12-2017, 04:25 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,069 times
I would of guessed Fayetteville NC

Old 04-12-2017, 04:43 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
Quote:
Hello, I need some relationship advice for my younger sister. My younger sister is in her mid twenties and lives a blue collar city with a lopesided gender ratio. The fact that there are so many more men than women has turned the dating scene where she lives into a nightmare.

For starters because there is a shortage of women and young women especially, there is a huge stripper scene as well as underground prostitution industry. My sister says it's impossible to meet a man where she lives that doesn't sleep with strippers or prositutes on a semi regular basis. All her single male friends and coworkers are pretty open about doing this as well. My sister has OCD and it makes physically ill thinking being with a man that was with a Prositute.
My sister says when she goes out at night that bars are basically filled with men. She says she doesn't feel comfortable approaching any of the men in bars because they are usually hangout in groups. The times she has approached a group of men they have given her a dirty look or just ignored her. She says that at most bars the men prefer to hangout with each other doing guy stuff like drinking beer, watching sport, or playing a game of pool then talk to women. The only women in these bars are the waitresses/bartenders or really skanky looking females. Often times there will females that don't fit those descriptions that are in the bars but usually only for a short period of time before leaving.

My sister also says that the only time she does gets approach it would be by very creepy or homeless looking men. In the six months my sister has lived in this place she has been solicited for prostitution by very creepy looking men, had several homeless looking men follow her around yelling obscenities and one men atttempt to sexually assault her(luckily a male friend scared him off). My sister says she never gets approached by any normal men, every guy that has approached her has been off in someway or another.

So what would you do if you were in my sister' position? She can't leave this city yet and actually enjoys her job there. It's just the dating scene that has been terrible. Have any women experienced living in a predominantly male blue collar town before? If so, how did you guys survive the dating scene?
I would like to see a picture of your sister. I don't believe what you are saying at all. And if so, then I think your sister dresses provocatively, hangs out with the wrong people, in the wrong bars and every man who approaches her is weird? Come on!

A workplace where every guy gloats about having been with a prostitute?? Where does she work at??

It's her. Not the whole town around her.

Old 04-12-2017, 04:57 PM

52,233 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I would like to see a picture of your sister. I don't believe what you are saying at all. And if so, then I think your sister dresses provocatively, hangs out with the wrong people, in the wrong bars and every man who approaches her is weird? Come on!

A workplace where every guy gloats about having been with a prostitute?? Where does she work at??

It's her. Not the whole town around her.
Of course it's her.

When ever you see these kinds of posts most people know it's probably not based in solid objective reality. Most normal fair-minded people don't jump to these kinds of irrational and over-generalizations about things, there are way too many factors at play.

Old 04-12-2017, 05:06 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Says there are 1000 more men than women. Doesn't seem that dire based upon demographics.http://www.city-data.com/city/Rock-Springs-Wyoming.html

Median household income is 71K........ that's upper end blue collar.
The stats say it's only 51% male. That's not much of an imbalance at all. 2014 population figures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships