Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2017, 09:34 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
It is slim for most of us. I listen to relationship podcasts and read a lot of psychology books. The thing that's changed a lot from the male perspective (as it relates to online dating specifically, which has ruined us) is this feeling women have of an abundance of available "bigger better deals" as it relates to men. Hence they have a list of 53 "must haves", rather than 5 must haves and many "nice to haves". I've been through this exercise myself, and I know what my must haves are. Its not a huge list. Although I'd love to find a woman who can have kids, at my age I'm throwing in the towel. I may be open to adoption. I've just had to accept it. Aside from that, I just want someone I'm attracted to who values health and fitness and personal growth. Obviously, I want someone with some intelligence, and nurturing, loyal, and who will also challenge me. That's really the extent of it though. Not easy to find.
But women say the same thing about men on OLD. Not only that, they say OLD is full of players (including the for-fee sites), who use OLD to collect as many notches on their belt as possible, scrolling through the catalog at their fingertips. As soon as they achieve a sexual relationship with a woman, they dump her and move on to the next one. "The guys are like kids in a candy store", I keep hearing.

I don't know why men would think that OLD is a one-way street that favors women. Women don't feel that way at all; to the contrary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 09:44 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,795,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
But women say the same thing about men on OLD. Not only that, they say OLD is full of players (including the for-fee sites), who use OLD to collect as many notches on their belt as possible, scrolling through the catalog at their fingertips. As soon as they achieve a sexual relationship with a woman, they dump her and move on to the next one. "The guys are like kids in a candy store", I keep hearing.

I don't know why men would think that OLD is a one-way street that favors women. Women don't feel that way at all; to the contrary.
Well, I'm not like the men you describe and I'm speaking from my perspective, although I do hear men complain about it a lot. I also talk to women who get hundreds of emails vs my 4-5 emails from fake profiles or Phillipine scammers. Just sayin.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:47 AM

I just want find a woman who appreciates a man who takes care of himself, is career oriented, and most importantly is focused on personal growth. I actually do things to make myself a better man, not for a woman, but for myself. I take workshops on vulnerability (Brent Brown) and openness, read books on these subjects, challenge myself. I face my fears and push myself to get through them. I want someone who appreciates those things and loves that about me.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:51 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,802,860 times
Quote:
I just want find a woman who appreciates a man who takes care of himself, is career oriented, and most importantly is focused on personal growth. I actually do things to make myself a better man, not for a woman, but for myself. I take workshops on vulnerability (Brent Brown) and openness, read books on these subjects, challenge myself. I face my fears and push myself to get through them. I want someone who appreciates those things and loves that about me.
Hope you don't rent..you know the new checklist item is the man must own, not rent right?

It's tough out there bro. Go younger my man, go younger.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Well, I'm not like the men you describe and I'm speaking from my perspective, although I do hear men complain about it a lot. I also talk to women who get hundreds of emails vs my 4-5 emails from fake profiles or Phillipine scammers. Just sayin.
I know you're not like that, Atlguy. But it sounds like too many men are. These women you talk to, who get hundreds of emails, have they specified the nature of those emails? Many of then, I'm sure, are scammers and bots. Many others are probably one-word messages ("S'up?") Some may be obscene pix. That's the nature of OLD.
Remember our own NorthwestGirl? She was on OLD for YEARS before she finally got a "real" message. For years, all she got was bots and scammers. How discouraging do you think that was? I guess you would know. Both genders struggle, Atlguy. There's no free ride for anyone. Even the beautiful women, who you'd think would have it easy, only get approached by arrogant jerks, while the shy, humble guys that are their type are too shy to approach.

It shouldn't be so hard, but it is. It just is.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:55 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Hope you don't rent..you know the new checklist item is the man must own, not rent right?

Renting never held me back. I just bought awhile ago, it certainly isn't a help, especially having less time and money to go out.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:

If renting held me back, I'd be the first to admit it. The way around that is to just say I'm waiting until I get married to buy. I mean, thats the reality for me. Of course, thats only a part of it. The bigger reason I rent is because I'm stuck in a city I don't like. If I was back in Atlanta, I would buy for sure. But the only reason to stay in this city long term is if I get married to a woman who doesn't want to leave.

Go younger. Thats funny. I do go younger. 35-40ish is sort of what I tend to date. The ones here are just flakes.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:00 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
I said mens market value drops too unless he is loaded. Mikala you yourself admitted you've only dated/married men that make a lot of money.
I said "higher paid range", which is what I was also. I turned down guys that made more because of other factors, money is not the be all and end all, it cannot make up for other negative traits.

If women and men's market value all drops..... then it is a wash, and you are right back to where you started.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-27-2017, 10:02 AM

4,828 posts, read 4,286,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Renting never held me back. I just bought awhile ago, it certainly isn't a help, especially having less time and money to go out.

You nailed it here. I spend more time at home, because I enjoy the peace in my home compared to my apartment. In my apartment I had neighbors walking in and out and I had to hear them through the thin walls and floors. That style of living became old. Once I bought my own house, even though it's nothing special, I feel more at peace and relaxed than I have in years. What also comes with homeownership is responsibilities of the lawn and any upkeep inside.

Our lives change and evolve. Going out is still fun here and there, but I do prefer my time at home or someone else's home over going out.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:

People are so mobile these days, that it's not realistic to expect someone to own, unless they have roots in the area. Atlguy is hoping to get back to Atlanta. It's unrealistic to expect people who are moving around to build a career, say, to buy, until they find their optimum situation.

But the own-not-rent checklist item is not new. Been around for a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships