Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2017, 01:40 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,522,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I feel for you...it has to be horrible to try and date out there as a man.

I have a lack of options but at least the women in my area are real and have good values. They will give middle class or working class guys a chance.

With some of my friends their wife actually makes more than they do. You would think people in more progressive states wouldn't still be stuck on 1950's era gender roles. I don't know I guess they just like money out there :-/.

I'm a man over 35 but my standards are about the same as they always have been, other than the no kids requirement which naturally wasn't an issue when I was younger.

I don't get why women say they get pickier as they get older. That makes no sense, it's not like their market value goes up as they get older or something. Mens do not either unless he's loaded or is a 40 year old bodybuilder that looks 27 or something.

I think what most people mean is as they get older, things that didn't bother them or they overlooked when they were younger, now are going to be deal breakers as they get older. As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, things such as having a job, a place to stay, a car are things they may be picky over. And also as we get older and more established we realize that we want someone we WANT to be around, more so than need. Because we can take care of ourselves, most of us have friends to keep us company, whomever our mate is, would have to be someone that we really enjoy being around, instead of compromising on things, because we have to. And I don't see anything wrong with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 01:47 PM

901 posts, read 747,700 times
Quote:
I feel for you...it has to be horrible to try and date out there as a man.

I have a lack of options but at least the women in my area are real and have good values. They will give middle class or working class guys a chance.

With some of my friends their wife actually makes more than they do. You would think people in more progressive states wouldn't still be stuck on 1950's era gender roles. I don't know I guess they just like money out there :-/.

I'm a man over 35 but my standards are about the same as they always have been, other than the no kids requirement which naturally wasn't an issue when I was younger.

I don't get why women say they get pickier as they get older. That makes no sense, it's not like their market value goes up as they get older or something. Mens do not either unless he's loaded or is a 40 year old bodybuilder that looks 27 or something.
Men are usually smarter with money so as their wealth increases so does their value. Men's value has always been their wealth and ability to provide, not their beauty or fertility

Old 06-26-2017, 02:02 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,645,240 times
Quote:
Ah yes. The tired market value arguments. I worry about the market value of my house because I know that, sooner or later, I'm going to have to sell it. But when it comes to relationships, I always have the option of staying single. So even if someone like me is no longer in demand, I'm not going to lower my standards. And by the way, a lot women get pickier because they've been burned enough times and don't want to repeat those experiences.

Old 06-26-2017, 03:05 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,981,005 times
Quote:

Because when I was 20 I did not care if he lives in his parents basement, has a car, a job, is compatible or has the same values, clean, smokes, ... didn't care because I was easy going, didn't worry about retirement, future, children, genes, money, ... everything was different. As long as he was cute and liked me back, I didn't care about the rest because I was still developing and figuring stuff out. That's why I think people shouldn't get married in their early 20s. They are still not mature enough.

Things are getting more complicated by age. You develop standards. You learned from mistakes. You know what you want. You established your own life.

Old 06-26-2017, 03:17 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,869,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Things are getting more complicated by age. You develop standards. You learned from mistakes. You know what you want. You established your own life.
Yep, 'cute n likes me' just doesn't cut it anymore. Some of us get better looking as we get older, anyway.

Old 06-26-2017, 03:51 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Yep, 'cute n likes me' just doesn't cut it anymore. Some of us get better looking as we get older, anyway.

Heck, cute, likes me, fun to be with, and good in bed isn't enough either.

Old 06-26-2017, 03:59 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,408,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Heck, cute, likes me, fun to be with, and good in bed isn't enough either.
Assuming compatibility and enough common interests in addition to that list, that'd be more than enough for me, lol.

Old 06-26-2017, 04:38 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,372,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor76 View Post
I think what most people mean is as they get older, things that didn't bother them or they overlooked when they were younger, now are going to be deal breakers as they get older. As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, things such as having a job, a place to stay, a car are things they may be picky over. And also as we get older and more established we realize that we want someone we WANT to be around, more so than need. Because we can take care of ourselves, most of us have friends to keep us company, whomever our mate is, would have to be someone that we really enjoy being around, instead of compromising on things, because we have to. And I don't see anything wrong with that.
Well said.

Old 06-26-2017, 06:49 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
Quote:

I absolutely got pickier as I got older. I knew what was important, what I liked and what I disliked.

My market value didn't suffer at all when I started dating at 42. My "market value"
may have increased as I had a successful career and my own home.

The whole women lose market value as they get older is BS, it's what guys tell themselves so they will feel better.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-26-2017, 07:09 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,802,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I absolutely got pickier as I got older. I knew what was important, what I liked and what I disliked.

My market value didn't suffer at all when I started dating at 42. My "market value"
may have increased as I had a successful career and my own home.

The whole women lose market value as they get older is BS, it's what guys tell themselves so they will feel better.
I think I meant pickier as in silly pickiness and nitpicking things. Like one of my guy friends is over 50 and he nitpicks the dumbest things about women. He's just getting old, set in his ways and has no patience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships