Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2017, 02:02 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,645,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Um, since almost everyplace is effectively 50/50 male/female (even the places that are skewed are like 1050/950, not enough to really notice on the ground) and the women are settled down, wouldnt' the men be as well?
Exactly. That's why I've never bought into this idea that male to female ratio is a skewed, except maybe Silicon Valley which attracts lots of men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 02:17 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,802,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Exactly. That's why I've never bought into this idea that male to female ratio is a skewed, except maybe Silicon Valley which attracts lots of men.
It will be skewed in any area where there's a lot of men migrating for work.

My area is a total sausage fest due to the companies coming in that are male dominated.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:43 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,441,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I clearly remember you're the same person that in one of the OLD threads said any woman has a right to have as long of a checklist of requirements as she wants, work the system, cherry pick and be extremely picky. Now you're getting butthurt about a guy that says he prefers a woman with no kids? So typical.

Excuse me. I will have the no kids preference for any damn list of reason I please. You will not dictate when it's ok for me to have that requirement.
I'm sorry that you have such difficulty with reading comprehension. Not only have I never, in my life, said "work the system," but I didn't dictate anything to anyone.

Butthurt, lol.

Why would I be butthurt about a man who doesn't want kids in his life not dating me, when I would NEVER date a man who doesn't want kids in his life? No logic there at all, grasshopper.

Last edited by MoonBeam33; 06-22-2017 at 06:03 PM..

Old 06-23-2017, 12:34 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,644,928 times
Quote:
There was a post on here that talked about the ratio of single men to single women and how it varied based on location and age. When I was younger, I figured that, if I was still single in my 40s, dating would be easier because the numbers would become more favorable. Now that I'm in my 40s, I can see that the numbers have indeed gotten better. In many respects, dating has gotten easier. Compared to when I was younger, I have a clearer idea of what I want and don't want, I'm more confident, and I'm better off financially. But in other respects, it's actually gotten harder. I don't want kids and would prefer not to date someone who already has them. The problem is that a lot of the single women my age already have kids from a previous marriage. I could date someone who's younger, but many of those women are looking for someone to start a family with. Plus, I'd much prefer to date someone closer to my own age. So I feel severely limited by my age, which I can't change, and my preferences, which I don't want to change. And that's before accounting for looks, personality, etc. A female coworker said that I have big advantages over other guys my age because, unlike a lot of them, I don't have any kids, I'm in good shape, and I'm actually willing to date a woman over 40. And while that may be true, I don't really feel like it's helping that much. So I was curious to hear about your experience being over 40 and being single.
Just be thankful you are not divorced with children. With that said, there may be a viable alternative with your dilemma which is (1) many women closer to your age are divorced with children and (2) the much younger women are easy to meet and have no children but are not compatible due to the age gap. A pragmatic solution would be a compromise - aim for the "target demographic group" that is older (late 20s to early or mid 30s) but not divorced. A lot of women in their 20s are now holding out against rushing into marriage and parenthood. The key is to be in a regional location where that demographic group exists: New York, Metro DC, I4 Corridor between Orlando and Tampa, etc. The places where you will likely not find that demographic group in abundance is rural America, college towns, the family-oriented suburbs where people are already married (or divorced), etc. Location and demography are crucial parameters to reach that compromise.

I had the same problem in Tallahassee which is a college town. The women closer to my Generation X age where mostly divorced with children. Conversely, the younger single women were usually just college students or recent college graduates who are not compatible. They will likely go through a maturation process in their mid to late 20s in finding themselves. I saw that a lot of young FSU graduates rush into marriage and become divorced single parents in their 30s and 40s. It's common in the "Bible Belt" where early marriage for unprepared young adults is the "norm". Hence, the bimodal distribution evolves in the Florida Panhandle into (1) a cluster of divorced single parents in their 30s and 40s and (2) a cluster of young adults not yet married or divorced but incompatible with older single adults. That was the summary of the "FL Panhandle". So I left and moved to Phoenix, AZ.

So a compromise of a demographic target of age range in late 20s to early 30s can still offer opportunities to date women who are not divorced with children and are far more compatible. The key is to live in a location that offers that has that type of population. Tallahassee definitely did not but Phoenix does - especially Scottsdale where I live now. Best wishes.

Old 06-23-2017, 08:15 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,645,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
I'm sorry that you have such difficulty with reading comprehension. Not only have I never, in my life, said "work the system," but I didn't dictate anything to anyone.

Butthurt, lol.

Why would I be butthurt about a man who doesn't want kids in his life not dating me, when I would NEVER date a man who doesn't want kids in his life? No logic there at all, grasshopper.
I think the person who's having difficulty with reading comprehension here is you. If a person doesn't want to date a person with kids, that's not the same as saying he doesn't want kids in his life. You just keep inferring that. The issue here is in what capacity does a person want kids in their life. I have nieces and nephews that I love spending time with. Some of my friends have kids that I'll hang out with. So I take issue with your repeated accusation that people like me don't want kids in our lives. If that were true, I would all my friends and relatives with kids. I don't want to raise them and I don't want to take on the role of stepparent. Why is that so hard for you to grasp? Why the constant bashing of people who don't want that?

Old 06-23-2017, 08:23 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,337,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
...Tallahassee definitely did not but Phoenix does - especially Scottsdale where I live now. Best wishes.
Funny, I now live in the FL panhandle but used to live in AZ, though closer to Flagstaff and Sedona.

Only been in FL 6 months. Like it so far, but so much has happened since I got here!

I loved AZ and often wonder if I ever should have left. My only problem with Arizona is how landlocked it is. I think I need to be near the Ocean.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:32 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,522,111 times
It's funny my best friend and I were at a bar watching the draft last night, and he believes that dating at 40 and older is so much easier than it was when we were younger. However, I guess it would depend on what each person's criteria for success is. For me, getting dates was WAYYYY easier now than it was when I was younger, but finding long term relationships was extremely more difficult.

Old 06-23-2017, 11:09 AM

97 posts, read 61,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthescreen View Post
Cant have it both ways. You complain the first guy didn't like or want to raise your two kids then the second guy who would raise your kids can't discipline them.

Very typical of dating single moms. Too much drama.
It's the presumptuousness in his statement. To 1) assume that she even wants to get married to this dude, and 2) to think he can make up the rules for her children.

Nah.

Old 06-23-2017, 11:12 AM

37,624 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
So I feel severely limited by my age, which I can't change, and my preferences, which I don't want to change.
You've created your own limitations. Which of course, is usually the case.

Old 06-23-2017, 11:47 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,660,299 times
I've seen several mention about the kids out or almost out of the house. What about when they have kids? If you would marry the woman how many events would they expect you to show up at? The grandchildren will have school plays, concerts, sports, and other things. What if they want to baby sit?

Those kids will always be their mother's children when they are 4 and when they are 40 and that's the way it should be.

There is a big difference between no kids and older kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships