Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 03:40 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,331,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTony View Post
Most men wander if they get an opportunity regardless of being happy between the sheets or not. The internet and social media has provided that opportunity. OP should go for the root cause. Probably keep an eye out on the credit card and monthly bank statements, phone records etc. Shutting down all individual fb accts and creating one joint fb acct for husband and wife would be a good start.
Ugh. I hate those joint FB accounts. I see one and think "I wonder which member of this couple got caught screwing around?"

LOL.

It just makes people look foolish.

I give a pass to very old folks. I figure they are only on FB to see pics of their grandkids and stay in touch with old, family friends.

Old 10-25-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP never returned to thread after her opening post. Case closed, I guess.
Yeah... I reckon she didn't have much to say.

Old 10-25-2017, 03:43 PM

462 posts, read 1,010,465 times
Here's what I did:

To get some sense of emotional balance, I went to regularly Alanon meetings several days out of the week. That helped tremendously. My husband had been a drinker in his earlier years; at present, he's more of a dry drunk (same issue/different affect). I told him that I was going to go into psychotherapy & I hoped he would. He is a Vietnam Vet (retired service member also) and has health issues >> diabetes from Agent Orange in Vietnam which began about 15 years ago. He is at present (I hope) going to the VA for PTSD (Vietnam) psychotherapy. He is from Louisiana; I am from East Texas so our cultures mesh. He was a mama's boy. He has always had issues with sex; that went away about 20+ years ago. It would have been nice...... but that's not the most imp. thing. He still has his computer locked up with no available password, etc from me. I have stopped asking for it. I don't care like I once did. One day I happened to look over his shoulder when I was talking to him about another subject & that young woman is on his Facebook still. After going through what I did with him, I don't have the respect or love for him that I did before. I cried a lot of tears over this. He & I are 68 soon to be 69. I am his retired "military" dependent, am on his bank account, etc., etc. It would be more difficult financially and emotionally to become single at my age; I'm at least with a southern man who I know fairly well. He's not 'mean'; he's just what one would call "unconscious", not aware of what the heck he's doing and it's impact on others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 04:09 PM

20,771 posts, read 20,035,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northanna_2001 View Post
Here's what I did:

To get some sense of emotional balance, I went to regularly Alanon meetings several days out of the week. That helped tremendously. My husband had been a drinker in his earlier years; at present, he's more of a dry drunk (same issue/different affect). I told him that I was going to go into psychotherapy & I hoped he would. He is a Vietnam Vet (retired service member also) and has health issues >> diabetes from Agent Orange in Vietnam which began about 15 years ago. He is at present (I hope) going to the VA for PTSD (Vietnam) psychotherapy. He is from Louisiana; I am from East Texas so our cultures mesh. He was a mama's boy. He has always had issues with sex; that went away about 20+ years ago. It would have been nice...... but that's not the most imp. thing. He still has his computer locked up with no available password, etc from me. I have stopped asking for it. I don't care like I once did. One day I happened to look over his shoulder when I was talking to him about another subject & that young woman is on his Facebook still. After going through what I did with him, I don't have the respect or love for him that I did before. I cried a lot of tears over this. He & I are 68 soon to be 69. I am his retired "military" dependent, am on his bank account, etc., etc. It would be more difficult financially and emotionally to become single at my age; I'm at least with a southern man who I know fairly well. He's not 'mean'; he's just what one would call "unconscious", not aware of what the heck he's doing and it's impact on others.
Thank you for the update on your situation. I am sorry for what you are going through. I don't know what else to say.

Old 10-25-2017, 05:56 PM

1,178 posts, read 687,190 times
Didn't read the whole thread but...never a good reason for that.

Old 10-25-2017, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northanna_2001 View Post
Here's what I did:

I think you might as well see if you can get him to go to counseling with you.

You saw this and you won’t be okay until you two can work it out.

I’m sorry you’re going through this.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:06 AM

15,076 posts, read 10,146,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Ugh. I hate those joint FB accounts. I see one and think "I wonder which member of this couple got caught screwing around?"

LOL.

It just makes people look foolish.

I give a pass to very old folks. I figure they are only on FB to see pics of their grandkids and stay in touch with old, family friends.
I noticed a lot of my friends who went into education occasionally post on their SO's FB account. I asked one time and they all said the same.

Parents of the children they teach are extremely judgemental, critical, and near impossible to meet their expectations. They constantly walking on egg shells around these parents. As such, they are also always looking for some sort of personal fault in these teachers.

OMG He/She smokes.. I don't want that around my child.
OMG He/She likes to party... I don't want that around my child.
OMG He/She participates in cosplay/steampunk stuff.. I don't want that immaturity around my child (actually happened in my circle)

etc...

God forbid you are in a same-sex relationship and post pictures of your SO... oh my (actually happened in my circle).

So they either avoid FB all together (which many people I know do) or they occasionally piggy back on their SO's account to keep in contact with friends and family (without divulging who their spouse is at work).

Its spread to others as well... I have a lot of friends that won't link to my account because I in turn have a few friended people that well.. lets.. just say... know how to party... very hard.. They are afraid of what their newer acquaintances and work friends will think. I really should just create two accounts; I practically live a double life anyways.

Last edited by usayit; 10-26-2017 at 08:49 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-26-2017, 08:16 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,018,559 times
You should make sure he isn't sending her money. She might be catfishing him.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:29 AM

384 posts, read 377,958 times
I'm sorry but I doubt counseling would help , he crossed the line. I would confront him and ask him to tell the truth. Unfortunately you get to babysit this man the rest of your life , he cannot be trusted . My ex ? When we were separated I found him on foreign dating sites , he traveled a lot . I said forget it and filed divorce , he can have Olga. He later screamed at me but nobody "did anything". I bet . No trust , no marriage .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships