Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 01:19 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,954,275 times

Advertisements

I'd like to do the married with children thing one day and I would like to be their primary caregiver, so I'd rather he work while I stayed home with the house and kids. That being said.. even without a job I have another steady source of income so the financial burden wouldn't solely depend on his pay. Actually he could probably do whatever he wanted job wise... as long as he was out and not under foot 24/7.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 01:31 PM

581 posts, read 456,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothick View Post
We all know the concept of a SAHM has always been a thing, but women, would you honestly be okay being married to a SAHD? Say you were the one with a great career and he did do all the cleaning, cooking, errands, child care and everything that SAHMs do, would you be fine with it?
Honestly no, I wouldn't. I think men should be providers.

Old 09-11-2017, 01:39 PM

902 posts, read 747,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklesNShine View Post
Honestly no, I wouldn't. I think men should be providers.
But, but feminism, empowerment, girl power.................yet it still comes down to the bolded LOL

Old 09-11-2017, 01:48 PM

52,214 posts, read 52,642,422 times
As per usual on these kinds of threads the complete lack of life experience and understanding in general rears its uninformed head.

This time it's just pointed toward dads instead of moms.

Old 09-11-2017, 02:10 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,954,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
As per usual on these kinds of threads the complete lack of life experience and understanding in general rears its uninformed head.

This time it's just pointed toward dads instead of moms.
What's up Chow? Women traditionally were usually stay at home parent. Some like the tradition, some wouldn't have an issue being the bread winner.
When these threads are about women staying home with the kids are posted by men... some have the same attitude in regards to to her sitting on her butt while he's out earning the dough.... some don't
I am curious as to where " complete lack of life experience and understanding" comes into play? What am I missing?

Old 09-11-2017, 02:14 PM

581 posts, read 456,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1975 View Post
But, but feminism, empowerment, girl power.................yet it still comes down to the bolded LOL
I'm not a feminist or an SJW. I'm willing to work and provide as well, but I just can't see myself busting my tail for fifty hours a week while my husband sits at home. If it works for others, more power to them.

Old 09-11-2017, 02:19 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,333,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Even if as a result of him "staying home" you rarely, if ever, had to do laundry or go grocery shopping or had to waste a vacation day waiting for the furnace guy to come fix the furnace or to take the cat to the vet? I would be so up for that.
I never felt that my working full time and more absolved me from chores, errands, child care or handyman duties at home. That's part of providing too, and part of family life.

Old 09-11-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
What's up Chow? Women traditionally were usually stay at home parent. Some like the tradition, some wouldn't have an issue being the bread winner.
When these threads are about women staying home with the kids are posted by men... some have the same attitude in regards to to her sitting on her butt while he's out earning the dough.... some don't
I am curious as to where " complete lack of life experience and understanding" comes into play? What am I missing?
People who think that staying at home with the kids is "sitting on their butt" and other similar sentiments. It's hard work doing the stay at home thing running the house and dealing with a couple of kids. It's a full time job, you can't call in sick or whatever.

There are a lot of variables that go into this decision that some couples make, it's way more involved than someone just sitting on their ass all day watching soaps as some would tend to think.

Old 09-11-2017, 02:21 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,448,003 times
Never once did I get to "sit" at home when I was watching the kids and taking care of the house. With two kids it was a constant struggle just to keep up with everything I personally had to do for myself, let alone them and whatever the household needed on top of the kids needs.

People have this idea that because you are in the home it means sitting on the sofa relaxing and living it up on anothers dime.

I suppose if you have zero responsibility or ambition and your idea of taking care of the kids is looking if they are still alive every so often, life might be pretty easy going...

Most people have a little more going on in life though

Old 09-11-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
Never once did I get to "sit" at home when I was watching the kids and taking care of the house. With two kids it was a constant struggle just to keep up with everything I personally had to do for myself, let alone them and whatever the household needed on top of the kids needs.

People have this idea that because you are in the home it means sitting on the sofa relaxing and living it up on another dime.

I suppose if you have zero responsibility or ambition and your idea of taking care of the kids is looking if they are still alive every so often, life might be pretty easy going...

Most people have a little more going on in life though
I've never had kids but I got enough common sense to know that it's a tough job at times, unless you're just throwing a happy meal at them and letting Dora the Explorer keep them busy. I mean that sorta of thing works here and there but on a serious note it's a challenge for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships