Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2010, 03:59 AM

219 posts, read 527,357 times

Advertisements

Let's say you start dating a guy and all seems well. He's got a job, pays his bills, votes, knows how to change a tire, can cook (and makes awesome sangria!), etc etc, but one day he tells you he also has a feminine side that he enjoys expressing through cross-dressing. He assures you he's straight. Do you dump him on the spot, ask questions, stay with him? What would you ask him? What would you want to know in order to move on with the relationship or to at least keep it as a friendship? Would you dump a friend if you learned he was a cross-dresser?

I'm 28 and I've been dressing part-time for about 2 years now. It's always been something that's intrigued me. I like the idea of being somewhat gender fluid and creatively expressing my feminine side through crossdressing. It's harmed absolutely no one. It's allowed me to meet some really great people and actually made it easier for me to talk to girls. I'm straight and have no desire to alter my sex. I enjoy shopping for heels, shaving my legs and playing with makeup, but I also have other interests such as traveling, running, swimming, cooking, meeting new people, going out, playing craps, etc. Sometimes I'll go out to clubs/bars as a girl just because I feel it's important to not keep it in the closet and it's a good way to meet people--it's been an interesting conversation starter.

Is cross-dressing such a big turn off to women? I totally understand if it is. I'll be the first to admit it's unusual and many women prefer "manly men". Attraction is not a choice, but would you really distance yourself from a male friend that dressed?

Would you date...-p1030254-3-bsmall.jpg

Would you date...-p1030210-2-b-small.jpg

Would you date...-p1030075small.jpg

Would you date...-picture0016-closer.jpg
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 04:45 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,862,571 times
I wouldn't drop a friend over that, no way. But I'm not sure I could be in a relationship with a cross dresser, even if I genuinely believed him to be straight (even some men who have sex changes to become women are still only sexually attracted to women). I would be concerned that in the future, he might decide that it's who he really is and want to permanently cross dress - or worse, that he might want a sex change. I'm not saying all cross dressers want a sex change, of course, but it's a possibility. And since I'm straight, I'm not interested in being with another woman (even if he's just dressing like one - I could never be attracted to him while he was dressed up like a woman).

Old 04-16-2010, 05:20 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,330,045 times
I know who would but I ain't telling.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:28 AM

115 posts, read 273,982 times
No, I wouldn't drop someone as a friend for being true to himself. I think Eddie Izzard is an attractive guy, even when he dressed as a girl.

I have been married for almost 20 yrs and if my dh suddenly told me he was a cross dresser, it wouldn't ruin our marriage or make me think less of him.

I prefer genuine, honest people, and if that means they tell or show me something about themselves that is outside of my comfort zone, so be it. Sometimes my comfort zone gets a little cramped and needs expanding! I say keep being yourself, you might just meet the gal of your dreams when you are dressed as a girl.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:24 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,674,794 times
I dont know. This is a tough one. I guess if i cared about the person enough I would learn to accept it.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:27 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,067,241 times
A friend is fine. Would not date a cross dress..if I was single...nope, sorry..

Old 04-16-2010, 06:30 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,480,110 times
Were I a woman I would drop you very quickly. You do have the right to explore your feminine side but you would have to do it someplace else. But have fun!

Old 04-16-2010, 06:38 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,686,307 times
No, I wouldn't drop a friend over this. I think it would be fun to do "girl stuff." Romantically, though, I don't know if I could wrap my head around having a boyfriend and a girlfriend in the same person. Like you said, I like the manly man stuff. I've had relationships with women, but there was a different dynamic than my relationships with men. I couldn't really say how I'd react without experiencing it first-hand.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:56 AM

44,348 posts, read 20,049,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppiepc View Post
No, I wouldn't drop someone as a friend for being true to himself. I think Eddie Izzard is an attractive guy, even when he dressed as a girl.

I have been married for almost 20 yrs and if my dh suddenly told me he was a cross dresser, it wouldn't ruin our marriage or make me think less of him.

I prefer genuine, honest people, and if that means they tell or show me something about themselves that is outside of my comfort zone, so be it. Sometimes my comfort zone gets a little cramped and needs expanding! I say keep being yourself, you might just meet the gal of your dreams when you are dressed as a girl.

Good answer, o Wise One!

Old 04-16-2010, 08:11 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,480,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
Good answer, o Wise One!
You gonna share your wardrobe with him??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships