Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 02:00 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
The fastest growing group of consumers of Facebook by far is actually Baby Boomers. I recently did a research project on generational usage of social media platforms, and this came up repeatedly in the review of literature.
According to my young nieces and nephews, "Facebook is for old people." The youths are on social media sites I've never heard of.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 01-29-2018 at 02:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2018, 02:09 PM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Maybe this person equates that with being sneaky or secretive or just saying they don't because they have something to hide (Instead of just not giving a crap about it)
I would say to them, one could just put a bunch of lies on your page and provide misinformation. The sneakiest people WILL use it to misrepresent themselves. There is nothing secretive about not participating in something that is merely social and quite impersonal being it is online and subject to all manner of deception and manipulation. I would be more wary of people on Facebook if they are on it too much or seem to be too perfect.

Maybe those who don't use it prefer keeping it real, socializing one on one in person. It's a lot more difficult for someone to be fake when they are looking you in the eye.

Old 01-29-2018, 02:14 PM

599 posts, read 693,442 times
Another dumb question, stop trolling and trying to get info to complete your homework.
Who the f cares about a Facebook. Some people want to maintain privacy by not having a Facebook account. F Facebook

Old 01-29-2018, 03:03 PM

641 posts, read 405,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
What is the problem with FB? And is it just FB or also Twitter, Instagram, and similar such mediums. (I guess CD forums are ok.) In my observations, those that are deeply averse to FB are acting illogically based on extreme views. Usually because they have formed opinions of FB users based on the FB "addicts" that must post 20x per day telling us about every minute detail of their life. Like a reformed alcoholic that cannot handle a drink for happy hour, they don't see it is possible to have a FB account and use it in moderation.
Never used any of these sites. No problem with people who do, assuming they're used somewhat responsibly.

There's no requirement to use these sites though. The world coped okay without them.

Old 01-29-2018, 08:35 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,928,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by startingfromscratchagain View Post
Does those people exist? If they exist are you weary of them?
Yes I exist! My husband does too. The chances were good for us, apparently. I'd say it's not very likely, but it is possible. Weary of them? Like as in tired of them, or wary? Wary seems to fit better. I'm not wary of them, of course. I was never interested in facebook and someone who is not as well may share more interests with me, perhaps. It worked out that way with my husband at least.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:02 AM

946 posts, read 776,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Facebook reports 214 million users in the USA. If the U.S.population is around 323 million, you can literally do the math.
Don't overlook the fact that many people have a facebook account just to see pictures of family members. They have id's that are completely bogus and do not use facebook to advertise there life. So out of 214 million users, there many only be 100 million that actually use Facebook to interact with people, rather than actually living in the real world.

Old 02-01-2018, 03:27 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Timeliness alert! I'm a "non-traditional student" (we all know what that means) at my school. I was standing outside of class talking about a test we'd just taken to guess which questions we'd gotten right. The person I was talking to - I think he's 20, 21-ish? - said he was going on to another school in the fall and he had to sell his books. I asked whether he knew about the school's FB page and he said he doesn't have FB.

They're out there! They exist.

Old 02-01-2018, 03:34 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,004,194 times
I don't have one. I got rid of mine a long time ago after it proved to be a waste of time.

Old 02-01-2018, 05:02 PM

12,776 posts, read 14,987,827 times
From what I've seen, the chances are VERY, VERY, VERY slim. Heck, even I have a FB acct, but don't really use or post on it, but I still have one & most of the FEW friends on there are people I never really see & a few I don't even know personally. From time to time, I find that I have to contact certain companies to ask them about something & they reply, so it's proven at times better than contacting the company by phone or even email.

But I can close it up right this second & not give a care. Most other people would act like the sky's falling if FB suddenly shut down, in fact, I wish it would because I'd like to see how much in a tizzy everyone would be in, ha!!!

Old 02-01-2018, 06:42 PM

235 posts, read 148,563 times
Ugh. Reminds me when I was online dating. Everyone was asking for my FB and when I said I have none. The reaction was like it was the end of the world or something. WTF.

LOL. The reality is I had FB but I deactivate it. And even if it was active, there is no way in hell I will let them 'friend' me. LOL. Nor let them stalk my FB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships