Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 01:41 PM

60 posts, read 36,221 times

Advertisements

I posted here about the guy I'm currently going out with.

He's someone I met on Match and we had a back and forth relationship.

This time around, after 3 dates, I asked him to take down Match profile, he freaked out big time and didn't see me for 2 weeks.

After 2 weeks, he came back and we continued going out. And we pretended the conversation never happened.

We only see each other on weekends due to the distance. We've gone on a few weekend get always trips. But still no exclusive talk.

He's still on Match, Active.

I don't feel like I can see other people while he and I are going on dates. But as the same time, not knowing where this is going make me wonder if I'm wasting my time and emotional investment. I can't just "have fun" and not be emotionally attached, I just can't.

He's sick this weekend and we're not seeing each other, I feel I just want to call and talk things out. If the feelings are not mutual what's the point to wait for another "date" only to break up? I'd rather break up over the phone, save some embarrassment.

I'd greatly appreciate your opinion. Thanks everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 01:47 PM

34,303 posts, read 18,687,771 times
He's not sick, he is dating other women. This guy is a PLAYER. You don't even have to call him to "break up" as in his mind there is no relationship. Did you sleep with him?

Old 02-10-2018, 01:51 PM

88,860 posts, read 85,293,411 times
Well...that's not a great phone conversation to have with a person who is sick.

How about making some soup and bringing it over, then when he is better have a face-to-face conversation.

Whose embarrassment are you saving, his or yours? Yours because you feel odd saying to his face that you want an exclusive relationship? You CAN say that, because--get this--it is true. You can say exactly what you said to a bunch of strangers on City-Data:

"not knowing where this is going make me wonder if I'm wasting my time and emotional investment. I can't just "have fun" and not be emotionally attached, I just can't."

Honesty really is the best policy. There's a risk involved. He could say he does not feel the same way. It will hurt, but you will know and can go about looking for someone who does want to be exclusive with you. And it won't hurt forever, just temporarily.

Don't worry about trying to save him embarrassment from having to say to your face that he doesn't feel the same way. You aren't responsible for his emotions.

In the end, "To thine own self be true" wins the day. Don't pretend not to feel what you feel because you are afraid it won't be well received.

Good luck however it goes.

Old 02-10-2018, 01:51 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,158,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzhidao View Post
I can't just "have fun" and not be emotionally attached, I just can't.
You two are not a "Match."

Don't embarrass yourself by having another talk. Just phase out. Or tell him next time you DO speak that you don't think it's going to work.

Old 02-10-2018, 01:52 PM

88,860 posts, read 85,293,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
He's not sick, he is dating other women. This guy is a PLAYER. You don't even have to call him to "break up" as in his mind there is no relationship. Did you sleep with him?
Yes, that occurred to me, too.

Even better if she shows up at the door with soup.

Old 02-10-2018, 01:54 PM

34,303 posts, read 18,687,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's a bit "stalkerish". She shouldn't waste her time.

Last edited by Pilot1; 02-10-2018 at 02:25 PM..

Old 02-10-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
You two are not a "Match."

Don't embarrass yourself by having another talk. Just phase out. Or tell him next time you DO speak that you don't think it's going to work.
I believe in honesty and open conversation. Phase out in my opinion is cheap and classless. I'll let the other person know what's in my mind.

Old 02-10-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:

He did call to say that he's sick and on the phone he did sound like he's having some congestion. So I don't know how sick he really is.

Old 02-10-2018, 02:04 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,158,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzhidao View Post
I believe in honesty and open conversation. Phase out in my opinion is cheap and classless. I'll let the other person know what's in my mind.

You say you believe in honesty and open conversation, all while stalking his Match account and WISHING he would commit to you.

Just call him with the intent of breaking up.

You two view relationships differently, and given this relationship's VERY sporadic history of flakiness and timidity, I definitely would not humiliate myself by revealing that I have feelings hoping that he will magically have them also.

Old 02-10-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:

Thanks so much for taking the time and giving suggestions. I want to talk over the phone cause

1. If the feelings are not mutual, if he says no, I'll be embarrassed to face the person who i have kissed, cuddled, and slept with. It's a humiliating situation to put myself in.

2. If it's hard for him to say no to my face, he agrees on being exclusive, but ghost on me after, it's more upsetting than a clear break up over the phone where at least you get your closure.

3. Since we only see each other on weekends, I feel it's a lot pressure to wait for another week to do face to face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships