Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2018, 05:14 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,359,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I've just heard lots of men say women want them to spend a lot of money. I haven't seen much of this, a few flowers, cards, etc. I don't see big money spent on Valentine's. It's not like Christmas.
Yeah, but those roses are jacked up to triple the price. You. Can go the cheap route and get from grocery stores but even so. By the time you bought the cheaper roses for $20, candy for $10, card for $5, you are in for $35. That's for the most basic thing for even a new relationship. Throw in dinner and maybe a movie and you're over $100. All because the man feels obligated to do it. I am not cheap but I find flowers to be the biggest waste of money. I hate buying the,pm. They are usually dead in a few days.

It is just a waste of money all around and men feel they must do it plus women do expect it for the most part.

Old 03-29-2018, 05:16 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
It's not as simple as speaking to someone you're sleeping with?

Yes it is. If you only have relationships with people you can, and want to, talk to.

This is partly down to YOUR initial choice. In fact, that is the whole basis for whatever comes after the choosing part.
We just have to agree to disagree.

I think I explained my perspective on the matter pretty clearly.

Old 03-29-2018, 06:27 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,101,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I've just heard lots of men say women want them to spend a lot of money. I haven't seen much of this, a few flowers, cards, etc. I don't see big money spent on Valentine's. It's not like Christmas.
Didn't we just have a long thread about a guy who thought he was take advantage of when his date ordered am expensive dinner on Valentines Day?

Roses cards candy and dinner add up. All of them are premium on that day.

Both valentines and mothers day rank pretty high.

Halloween 2017: The Most Expensive Holidays Ranked | Money

This is the first year I got a present in Valentines... Welcome surprise I must say.... 17 years later.

Old 03-29-2018, 06:33 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Didn't we just have a long thread about a guy who thought he was take advantage of when his date ordered am expensive dinner on Valentines Day?

Roses cards candy and dinner add up. All of them are premium on that day.
Yeah, we did, and he was a one hit wonder who refused to clarify one single question, so nobody knows exactly what happened, if it even did. He didn't say a thing about flowers or candy or a card, if I recall. Just a $50 dish from a menu at a place of his choosing.

Old 03-29-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Yeah, we did, and he was a one hit wonder who refused to clarify one single question, so nobody knows exactly what happened, if it even did. He didn't say a thing about flowers or candy or a card, if I recall. Just a $50 dish from a menu at a place of his choosing.
He wasn't the only one speaking..... And no matter how many people speak about it, it's easy to marginalize and dismiss them. Not exactly being open to discussion.... But never the less.. Flowers, dinner, roses, cards candy do add up and are a premium. Two of those, flowers and dinner are typically paid by the guy.... Two of the more expensive items on that list... Excluding any gifts. . And guys do loath it for a reason.

A big thumbs up to the ladies that make it a shared experience with their loved one.

Old 03-29-2018, 07:06 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy18 View Post
Maybe because an equivalent day doesn’t exist for men.
Superbowl Sunday?

Old 03-29-2018, 09:27 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,876,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
He wasn't the only one speaking..... And no matter how many people speak about it, it's easy to marginalize and dismiss them. Not exactly being open to discussion.... But never the less.. Flowers, dinner, roses, cards candy do add up and are a premium. Two of those, flowers and dinner are typically paid by the guy.... Two of the more expensive items on that list... Excluding any gifts. . And guys do loath it for a reason.
This makes me wonder---and I mean it with all due respect: in same-sex relationships, with two men or two women, which partner shoulders greater responsibility for providing Valentine's Day presents? While we're at it, which partner ends up in the doghouse for failing to do so?

Edited to add: Come to think of it, this sounds an awful lot like a Seinfeld line by George Costanza: "If you and Susan were to dance, how do you decide who leads?"

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 03-29-2018 at 09:37 PM..

Old 03-29-2018, 11:05 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
This makes me wonder---and I mean it with all due respect: in same-sex relationships, with two men or two women, which partner shoulders greater responsibility for providing Valentine's Day presents? While we're at it, which partner ends up in the doghouse for failing to do so?

Edited to add: Come to think of it, this sounds an awful lot like a Seinfeld line by George Costanza: "If you and Susan were to dance, how do you decide who leads?"
Sometimes it seems like men take more heat for deviating from gender roles than women do.

Old 03-30-2018, 12:36 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:

Maybe like many, many hetero couples, they don't keep tabs but just celebrate together the way they both like to, and nobody whips out a receipt to see whether somebody spent $2.50 more on the chocolates or movie tickets? Or on whether it was harder to cook the rosemary potatoes or the steak for couple who celebrate by a romantic eat-in dinner?

Most relationships don't come with Excel spreadsheets. You just....do stuff for one another. And enjoy that stuff together.

Old 03-30-2018, 01:09 AM

Quote:

MIL and her partner are the only same sex couple I really have any in depth knowledge in regards to the dynamics of a same sex relationship. There are no preconceived gender roles when it comes to them....at least that I can tell. Everything is defined by them... As far as I know, they don't do any thing for Valentines.

Their Anniversary is celebrated and seems to be the holiday to show their love and affection for each other.

One does take the dominant role in thr relationship while the other, my wife's mother, is the more passive one... Not that is a bad thing... It's just what works for them. Considering that she was previously married in a very conservative household and she only came out later in life, and had a daughter during that time, I think she is comfortable in that role.

Her partner has always lived independently working her own farm and raising horses. She is the dominant one in their relationship in part due to her strong willed and independent personality.

And when I say dominant and passive... I it's only slightly only noticeable to those who spent a significant time with them. Both seem to have equal say so in decisions.

Of course this is just one couple and really has no baring on the general.

Last edited by usayit; 03-30-2018 at 01:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships