Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 08:46 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,678,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
True, I'll give you that. But... men who act like entitled pricks are promptly shamed into good behavior (and rightfully so), while women who acts like entitled princesses are often told "you go, girl!" or "gurrrrl power!"
Dude. If you think that your typical woman is going through life without being buffeted by the winds of outrageous social expectations, you are out of your mind. You have no idea.

I guess to some degree, my rejection of what men are complaining about here is part of my overall "to heck with that" feeling with regard to these moronic gender role things. It's not just some unspoken nonsense that men have to give all sorts of ongoing courtship gifts to women, to keep us sweet. It's also the notion that women aren't allowed to relent and enjoy love, sex, and romantic companionship unless the man "convinces" us. It goes back to the idea that a properly demure and modest lady must blush, play coy and hard to get, and make a man chase her before she ultimately relents and gives up the nookie.

Um, I happen to like sex. And love. And romantic companionship. The price for sex, from me, is sex, from him. If he is giving me a gift, I am also going to be giving him a gift, or else I'll probably feel VERY uncomfortable. Some men and women, and "society" might judge me as easy for this behavior, and all I have to say to that is, "I'm happy, so I win."

Now he could have ASSUMED that certain behavior on his part is required. He could be doing unnecessary gestures out of some ingrained idea that as a man, he's just gotta, because I'm a woman, and TV and society has dictated that even if I say I don't need or want that stuff, I MUST because hey...TV and society knows better what I want than I do, surely... Thank god that idea sounds incredibly stupid to both of us, and instead we communicate with each other about what we want, so that neither of us is left frantically watching sitcom reruns or rom-com films to figure out how to conduct our relationship.

As for you guys here, the few still pushing this argument, I am not saying that your experience is invalid, but if all you can find to possibly partner with, are women who are walking, breathing media tropes, then I am so sorry. Just make sure that what you're seeing is the real picture, not some manufactured combination of projection and assumption on your part. Try talking and listening, maybe, one time, and see how that goes. You might be surprised.

Old 04-02-2018, 09:10 AM

1,047 posts, read 727,108 times
Default re

Quote:
What's lesbianism got to do with it?
It was a joke. Like saying lesbians are really into it and straight men not. Not a funny joke but now you know what I mean
It's a gushy and mushy holiday. A lot of Alpha males think silly.

Old 04-02-2018, 09:18 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,880,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_me View Post
It was a joke. Like saying lesbians are really into it and straight men not. Not a funny joke but now you know what I mean
It's a gushy and mushy holiday. A lot of ___ males think silly.
Ah! Gotcha.

Heads up: You can't say "alpha" or "beta" on the Relationships forum, unless you're talking about fraternities.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:50 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,110,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I guess to some degree, my rejection of what men are complaining about here is part of my overall "to heck with that" feeling with regard to these moronic gender role things.
I don't think your attitude, healthy one IMO, is the norm. When i was I senior in college and there where a a number of couples getting married, the first thing the ladies did was compare the size of engagement rings. That still true today even for adults...

Expectations of beauty for women and expectations of money for men. Valentine's day for. Many men is the manifestation of the later. Women cannot get all upset over the former but ignore the later that gets men upset.

I too am not the norm... I could care less about gender roles and society. I've lived in and out of mainstream society all my life. However, rejecting and denying some of the answers to the OP question is like men denying that women do not have to endure societal pressures regarding beauty.

The OP wouldn't have created this thread if the observation wasn't already noticed. Guys do not dislike something for no reason... Gotta give them some credit.

Last edited by usayit; 04-02-2018 at 11:05 AM..

Old 04-02-2018, 11:05 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,678,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
I don't think your attitude, healthy one IMO, is the norm. When i was I senior in college and there where a few couples getting married, the first thing the ladies did was compare the size of engagement rings. That still true today even for adults...

I too am not the norm... I could care less about gender roles and society. I've lived in and out of mainstream society all my life. However, rejecting and denying some of the answers to the OP question is like men denying that women do not have to endure societal pressures regarding beauty.
Guess the point is that there are men and women in this world who are tired of "norms" and just want to live by our own rules, which hopefully in a relationship, we are writing cooperatively.

We exist. We are out there.

It is a choice to conform, it is a choice not to. I just get annoyed with the feeling that "No, there's no choice, you just don't know how it is." Well...if it's a matter of "If I want A, I've got to put up with B" then that's fine, do what you need to do, but just acknowledge that it was a choice you made.

Chriz recently told me I just got lucky. That's pretty funny to me. Lucky? Well, I do feel lucky. But my own choices led me to where I stand. The relationship I have now wouldn't have happened, had I not chosen to get my tubes tied (he isn't willing to risk getting a woman pregnant) had I not joined the BDSM community, which is where we met, had I not pursued the self-awareness that led me to understand what I needed, which makes us perfectly compatible in that respect, and had I not given him a chance, which many women wouldn't have. I'm a decent looking 39 year old woman, outgoing, people like me...I had a number of younger, wealthier, objectively better looking men after me. Many of my hottest female friends could not really understand my choice. And in fact I broke up with the younger, hotter, and wealthy boyfriend I had, and one of the biggest reasons was that we had major problems with COMMUNICATION.

That was a choice. I could be with someone who makes me uncomfortable with extravagant gifts and one where I can't have the conversations with, to "write our own script" as I need to do, just because (based on other women's criteria) he's the "more desirable choice." Instead, I chose the man who is most compatible for me. I had options, and I chose him.

But like they say, "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice!" (thanks, Rush...)

Old 04-02-2018, 11:24 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,310,947 times
My girlfriend is a huge nerd (like myself ) what she wanted for Valentine's Day surprised me..

She wanted the new God of war video game that's coming out late this month... I pre-ordered it for her.. I want to see her happy cause she really wanted it but couldn't afford it.

I put my feelings towards Valentine's day aside to see my woman happy.

Old 04-02-2018, 11:40 AM

1,047 posts, read 727,108 times
Default hi

Quote:
Ah! Gotcha.

Heads up: You can't say "alpha" or "beta" on the Relationships forum, unless you're talking about fraternities.
Wow, I had no idea. Thanks for the heads up. P.C. times are crazy. Taking so much of our history and words.

Old 04-02-2018, 11:51 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,870,295 times
Quote:
True, I'll give you that. But... men who act like entitled pricks are promptly shamed into good behavior (and rightfully so), while women who acts like entitled princesses are often told "you go, girl!" or "gurrrrl power!"
If entitled princesses are "often told this" please provide a couple of links because I can't find where anybody has ever posted tha.t ever. Entitled princesses are called out just as often as pricks. Spare us this constant lanent.

Old 04-03-2018, 09:35 AM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
No, because the one thing we want is for the wife to leave us the hell alone but that seems to be asking too much. We sure don't want a football shaped tie and be taken to a restaurant.
Uh, no. You want the wife to leave you the hell alone while you're watching the game but at the same time to keep the wings and chips and salsa and pigs-in-blankets and beer flowing from the kitchen!

And then to not be upset when the rent money has to be paid to the bookie the next week.

Old 04-03-2018, 04:25 PM

818 posts, read 456,833 times
And there's always another side of the coin too, a lotta guys probably just plain don't feel all that lovey dovey about the women they're with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships