Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 03:25 PM

10,505 posts, read 7,072,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Except that that doesn't mean the same type of thing wouldn't happen in the next and next unless she realizes she doesn't have to let this type of thing continue.

It's true that you can't change another person but you CAN change how you react which effectively can change the other person once they realize the 'same old' same old' doesn't work anymore.
If they then still don't catch on and change, then it is time to walk.
Too many couples play the same game, over and over and over without understanding that if you change the rules, the game might change and the outcome might be different.
Perhaps. But the point here is that the boyfriend is an emotional abuser, a bully. And the only way to deal with bullies is through strength. Sadly, she didn't seem to demand better treatment from the beginning, which set the tone for how the a-hole would treat her over the past three years. What she needs to know is that is a form a violence. No, it doesn't physically hurt the way a fist would, but the wounds are just as tangible.

I've been married 27 years. I have never called my wife a name. I'm a pretty mild-mannered guy, so I think I've actually lost my cool with her three times. And I've certainly never behaved in the ways this woman describes as her daily life. So I have a really hard time understanding people who behave like this--or the people who allow it in their lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2018, 03:29 PM

23,175 posts, read 26,246,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Perhaps. But the point here is that the boyfriend is an emotional abuser, a bully. And the only way to deal with bullies is through strength. Sadly, she didn't seem to demand better treatment from the beginning, which set the tone for how the a-hole would treat her over the past three years. What she needs to know is that is a form a violence. No, it doesn't physically hurt the way a fist would, but the wounds are just as tangible.

I've been married 27 years. I have never called my wife a name. I'm a pretty mild-mannered guy, so I think I've actually lost my cool with her three times. And I've certainly never behaved in the ways this woman describes as her daily life. So I have a really hard time understanding people who behave like this--or the people who allow it in their lives.
That's the main point, isn't it? And that it is her that needs to change so it doesn't just become a pattern in her life.

Old 05-11-2018, 03:29 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,057,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post

^ This is the thing. People are saying it's the OP's fault for not stopping the nastiness and name-calling and so on...as if the natural default for men is to be abusive "unless" a "foot is put down". That's just not true..and what an awful way to view men.

How about getting together with a guy who doesn't default to abusiveness in the first place? Isn't that a problem all by itself? Not that she didn't somehow handle his abusiveness correctly?

Old 05-11-2018, 03:37 PM

16,072 posts, read 7,086,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonandstars33 View Post
My boyfriend and have been dating for nearly ~3 years and I've noticed something about him that I have no explanation for but am also really unhappy with and am not sure what to do.

If my boyfriend is in the middle of something important, or something he's focusing on or pretty much anything he doesn't understand (i.e having to repeat himself) then he becomes very short tempered, angry and lashes out.

For example, tonight he was playing a video game and he turned around to talk to me, but he couldn't hear what I was saying. He become annoyed that he couldn't hear so I texted him. Then when he turned around again I tried pointing at my phone (to signal I had texted him) but he started abruptly shouting "I can't fing hear you, I'm the middle of something. You're so fing annoying." I don't understand why he gets so irate with me but I immediately want to cry. He doesn't seem to see his behavior as an issue and usually just blames me for being angry because his behavior makes me so upset I don't know what to do. His behavior really makes me question my relationship with him because I find it incredibly hurtful, unhelpful, mean spirited and disrespectful. What makes it worse is that we live with friends, and I'm pretty sure they hear him loudly scolding me and it's embarrassing.

Lately I feel sometimes that I should only prompt him when promoted first, so that I won't be yelled at or spoken down to.

My boyfriend usually shows this behavior about 1 time a week on average. It has a pattern of behavior and a lot of it repeats itself. I always ask myself why this is happen and he promises he'll "try to change" but it just happens again and again.
Tell him it is not acceptable. it is not the way you want him to communicate with you. You need to come to an understanding of what annoys him. If it is unreasonable then he needs to figure out how to respond in a way that is polite and respectful. How would he like you to respond to him when you are annoyed.

This pattern will not change and will only get worse if you do not insist that he needs to communicate with with respect and courtesy. If he does not understand that then describe how he needs to talk to you that does not make you cry.

Old 05-11-2018, 04:03 PM

11,079 posts, read 6,021,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
She needs to understand why she would pick (she said there were always red flags) and stay with such a person.

She doesn't need to understand "him" to the point of reading a whole book about it...meanwhile delaying her departure. She's not his therapist. She's his victim.

She doesn't need to understand more about him. She needs to understand more about her. But first and foremost she needs to leave this situation.

The time invested, among other things, is one major factor in people staying in awful, abusive relationships. It's just one more anchor. She shouldn't be thinking of it that way, or perhaps she'll let it go on indefinitely. And then it'll be, well, she's invested 4 years...5...well, now she's had a kid with him...and a few black eyes...but now it's been 6 years...10...NOW what is she going to do, she's older, she's tired, she has these kids, she can't feed them by herself, how can she go now...and on and on...There are no limits on this sort of thing except those imposed by the person who NOW, before there are kids or marriage or some other anchor, has the opportunity to realize how bad a situation she's in, and leave.
Definitely not delaying her departure. But understanding what is going on may help her get closure - but she must surely move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Ding ding ding ding ding! The Golden Buzzer is showering gold confetti down on JerZ!

She needs to understand herself better, once she's safely away from this potential abuser, She's said she's already afraid he could become abusive toward her (more than just verbally). She should't be sitting around reading about him, she should be leaving.
No man should be treating the woman he loves (or anyone else) that way this man (and I use the term 'man' loosely here) is treating her!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
... People are saying it's the OP's fault for not stopping the nastiness and name-calling and so on...as if the natural default for men is to be abusive "unless" a "foot is put down". That's just not true..and what an awful way to view men.

How about getting together with a guy who doesn't default to abusiveness in the first place? Isn't that a problem all by itself? Not that she didn't somehow handle his abusiveness correctly?

Old 05-11-2018, 05:07 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,830,121 times
Quote:

My boyfriend usually shows this behavior about 1 time a week on average. It has a pattern of behavior and a lot of it repeats itself. I always ask myself why this is happen and he promises he'll "try to change" but it just happens again and again.
This. Is. Who. He. Is.

Do you want to live with This?

Old 05-11-2018, 05:20 PM

48,581 posts, read 34,980,811 times
Quote:
T

He's had similar outbursts when I couldn't decide what we were going to watch on the T.V. His behavior is not acceptable.
Exactly. So at some point it is no longer about him, and it's about why you stay.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-11-2018, 05:21 PM

11,079 posts, read 6,021,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post

This. Is. Who. He. Is.

Do you want to live with This?
Yup. I'm afraid so.

Old 05-11-2018, 05:27 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,551,555 times
Walk.

Old 05-11-2018, 05:35 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,672,109 times
Next time he does that, leave (go for a walk, a ride, a movie, a hotel)

And the time after that, leave (same as above).

If he doesn't stop, pack up for good and get out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships