Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2008, 09:33 PM

5,412 posts, read 15,921,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softtail_Honey View Post
My grandmother has emphysema(she only has the capacity of 1 lung left and is on 90 percent oxygen and can't even talk on the phone for a few minutes without huffing and puffing) and was diagnosed today with lung cancerHer doctor said that she doesn't even have years. Surgery cannot be done because they don't think she could make it through the surgery. Good reasons to not smoke.
I'm sorry to hear that. Good luck to your family and grandmother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 04:55 PM

170 posts, read 581,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
I'm sorry to hear that. Good luck to your family and grandmother.
Thank you!

Old 04-08-2008, 12:05 AM

Default Secondhand smoking

Did anyone watch the Jay Leno show tonight? He mentioned a University of Texas study that found secondhand smoking causes a weaker erection (by 23%, I believe). There's another reason why smoking stinks.

Once that monologue is posted on nbc.com (probably by Tues. evening), I"ll post a link here where he mentioned it.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:57 AM

22,334 posts, read 29,427,518 times
My mother was just diagnosed with lung cancer in Oct and quit immediately. The hospital put her on the patch and we continued it (I tried several years ago to stop her...Maybe this wouldn't have happened if she listened??) She just went through both chemo/radiation and it really had a hard toll on her. Not to mention she just had half of her lung removed last Friday and is now on oxygen for the rest of her life..Shes 69. Sigh..
My friends who have smoked tried Chantix and said it completely worked for them.
As for me personally, I don't smoke and never have and won't touch anyone who does. I also work in a bar environment so I'll probably die of lung cancer

Old 04-08-2008, 07:31 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,262,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I can't stand it. It's such a nasty habit. He's tried stopping tons of times, but it never works. It's such a turn off kissing him. It's like kissing an ashtray. YUK! What do I do?

My husband hid the fact that he smoked from me-- I fell in love with him not knowing. Im asthmatic with a heart condition and when I found out he lied and was in fact a HEAVY smoker, I couldn't leave him. I am now married to a heavy smoker- I hate it. It smells on his hands, clothes, hair and breath. It nauseats me and makes my lungs tingle. He won't smoke around me, so he spends his day walking in and out of our house. I have begged him to quit, cried and almost left him- but he is a good man otherwise. His father died of cancer when he was 52, and my husband smokes just less than 2 packs a day. I encourage him so much for our daughter, doesn't he care if he misses her wedding or dies when she is 20? He has hardly tried to quit. Bottom line is: despite my nagging and tears, he won't quit because he doesnt want to. It's an addiction more severe than heroine or cocaine. If it bothers you that much, try getting him Chantix, Ive heard good things but its' costly. If nothing else- you need to either live with it, or leave him. Take it from me, you have no control over it, I tried. I realized it's his choice and I can't make him take care of himself. It's not an easy thing to do, but I need to worry about me and our daughter now- He's on his own as far as thats concerned.. Good luck

Old 04-08-2008, 08:55 AM

^ Wow, sorry to hear that. But I wonder if he was such a heavy smoker, you didn't sense that during the "courting period". No amount of fragrance spray and breath spray can cover up that.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:29 PM
ttz

677 posts, read 1,666,473 times
A drug addict will never quit until they are ready. And they will never be ready without a miracle or professional help.

They do not want to quit and they will never otherwise "be ready" and wake up one day and be ready to quit. They love to smoke because their are addicted to it and their brain loves getting the constant nicotine.

The ones that quit with a scare or "awakening" I refer to as miracles.

The ones that quit with professional help are the ones that went to their Doctor and went on Chantix, Wellbutrin, couceling, Hypnosis, etc.

I can sympathise with the OP and I hope she is doing well. Hopefully her and her husband are doing ok and he gets the help he needs to be healthy and around for his family.

It is extremely selfish for smokers to want to continue to indulge in their self destructive habit. After their death the friends and familty are left with the pain and sorrow. Not to mention the children. How terrible it must be for a child to not have their parent around anymore due to this stupid and meaningless habit.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:03 PM

751 posts, read 1,673,747 times
This thread has put a bad taste in my mouth pardon the pun.My late husband passed away two yrs ago from lung cancer cause he smoked. He also had what the doctors called as the smokers cough.No matter how much I coaxed him to quit he wouldn't.

To the original poster of this thread hopefully before it's to late your husband will quit.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:11 PM

1,629 posts, read 3,477,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oobie119 View Post
My husband hid the fact that he smoked from me-- I fell in love with him not knowing. Im asthmatic with a heart condition and when I found out he lied and was in fact a HEAVY smoker, I couldn't leave him. I am now married to a heavy smoker- I hate it.
I am so sorry. I have asthma as well, and I know what it's like to beg and plead and guilt-trip loved ones into quitting. I grew up in a house where both my parents smoked (probably WHY I have asthma).

I remember being as young as 7, and terrified of losing them both.

They both still smoke, and both my younger brothers are on and off smokers. Dad has emphysema, barely even walks anymore to the point that his feet are perpetually swollen. Mom is okay so far, except for her nasty cough. Only time will tell.

Both of them used it - and alcohol - to self-medicate their stress. Nothing treated the anger, though. They were always angry.

I didn't really "get" that nothing I could do would make them quit, until a few years ago. I grieved for some time over my childhood lost to constant anxiety, all that wasted time to futile efforts. And angry that I'm left with a chronic illness because I had no one to protect me.

There is a great distance between all of us because I cannot physically be around them for very long. When I visit, I stay in a hotel, because they cannot keep from smoking in the house while I am there. Even when I visit for a few hours, I can smell the cigarette that was just extinguished, plus of course the ingrained smell in every wall and textile. I'm nauseous for the first 20 minutes that I'm there. I'm leaning toward only visiting with them in public, soon.

Last time I was there, I was sitting in the living room with my mom, and she all of a sudden just lights up in front of me. "Mom! Seriously?!" She said, "Oh right, I forgot."

Anyone who says the anti-smoking movement is about controlling others for its own sake, is informed only by anarchistic paranoia. Smoking, like any addiction, ruins lives and relationships. And affects innocent children who cannot get away from it. In which case, it is nothing short of abuse.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:16 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,664,027 times
Although...this is an old thread, brought up, by a newbie....my advice would be, that if you knew he smoked when you got together...deal with it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships