Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2018, 05:57 PM

431 posts, read 352,307 times

Advertisements

I think everyone has to learn to compromise.

In the past, I've had the Groucho Marx philosophy on dating. I wouldn't want to date any woman that would have me. "You want to go out with me? What's wrong with you?"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2018, 06:26 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
You quoted lyrics from Steve Miller's Band, "The Joker." Cannot some things remain sacrosanct?

"... jokers, smokers or midnight tokers..." Not that I endorse any of that concept, but Steve Miller's Band is one of my favorite bands!

Just call me Maurice!

Old 06-20-2018, 07:45 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
A coworker is trying to set me up with someone who looks good on paper. I’ve never met the guy and I knew I probably wouldn’t be attracted to him, but I told my coworker that I’d be willing to talk with him, maybe make a new acquaintance, but not to expect anything more than that. This was all before I had even seen the guy. So I texted with him for a few hours and he seemed ok. He also provided some photos. He isn’t unattractive, but his looks don’t inspire any amorous feelings within me and I doubt that communicating with him in person would change my feelings. The book would tell me to get over this and give this guy serious consideration on the grounds that 1) I’m not getting any younger and a few years from now, I might be wishing that I could attract a guy like this one as the pickings get even slimmer as I continue to age and 2) There are lots of women out there who are happily married to guys who they weren’t initially physically attracted to (and maybe they still aren’t). But the author isn’t saying those things just so that women will give any ol’ guy a chance. She’s saying it for the woman’s benefit, not the guy’s. She doesn’t want women to miss out on a good guy who they could potentially be happy with if only they were willing to be more open-minded about things and not be so focused on their “type.” This guy is not my physical type at all, so yes I can see how some of you were asking the question of “How often are men advised to date women who aren’t their physical type at all?” When they’re desperate for sex maybe, but probably not for anything more than that. I am not desperate for anything but since my coworker had mentioned to me several times that he wanted me to meet this guy, I felt like it wouldn’t hurt to at least talk with him. But as I said before even though the advice given in the book makes sense to me, I can’t make myself operate in this way when it comes down to things.

Old 06-20-2018, 07:54 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
A coworker is trying to set me up with someone who looks good on paper. I’ve never met the guy and I knew I probably wouldn’t be attracted to him, but I told my coworker that I’d be willing to talk with him, maybe make a new acquaintance, but not to expect anything more than that. This was all before I had even seen the guy. So I texted with him for a few hours and he seemed ok. He also provided some photos. He isn’t unattractive, but his looks don’t inspire any amorous feelings within me and I doubt that communicating with him in person would change my feelings. The book would tell me to get over this and give this guy serious consideration on the grounds that 1) I’m not getting any younger and a few years from now, I might be wishing that I could attract a guy like this one as the pickings get even slimmer as I continue to age and 2) There are lots of women out there who are happily married to guys who they weren’t initially physically attracted to (and maybe they still aren’t). But the author isn’t saying those things just so that women will give any ol’ guy a chance. She’s saying it for the woman’s benefit, not the guy’s. She doesn’t want women to miss out on a good guy who they could potentially be happy with if only they were willing to be more open-minded about things and not be so focused on their “type.” This guy is not my physical type at all, so yes I can see how some of you were asking the question of “How often are men advised to date women who aren’t their physical type at all?” When they’re desperate for sex maybe, but probably not for anything more than that. I am not desperate for anything but since my coworker had mentioned to me several times that he wanted me to meet this guy, I felt like it wouldn’t hurt to at least talk with him. But as I said before even though the advice given in the book makes sense to me, I can’t make myself operate in this way when it comes down to things.
I am one of those people who loves meeting new people and talking to random people. I will literally go to a party hosted by people I don't really know just to see what the crowd is like.

So I am always willing to grab a drink or a coffee to chat - even if I think there is not even remotely any potential for dating.

Unfortunately this can lead to some people perceiving this as interest.

But this advice makes sense to me, because I guess I see it as you never know who you'll have a good time with. But guess I am wired to just chat/connect with randos.

Old 06-20-2018, 08:03 PM

Jade, I hadn't realized how close you and I are regarding meeting people and being outgoing. I like meeting new people just because I like it. Being with people and chatting about things is just a lot more fun than being at home sitting on the couch watching TV. I get involved in such things as shortly as a shared elevator ride or as long as new good friends I've met just in the last several months and see repeatedly (since I adjusted my attitude). It's just a lot more fun to be with people and share good times!

I'm not looking for anybody to settle with. I'm just looking for love and figure one day it will suddenly hit me that I'm with the person I want to be with permanently. This isn't settling. This is just finally succeeding in a long term life goal.

Old 06-20-2018, 08:47 PM

5,324 posts, read 6,101,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
If you don’t mind me asking what is your type exactly?

Old 06-20-2018, 09:23 PM

431 posts, read 352,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
You quoted lyrics from Steve Miller's Band, "The Joker." Cannot some things remain sacrosanct?

"... jokers, smokers or midnight tokers..." Not that I endorse any of that concept, but Steve Miller's Band is one of my favorite bands!

Just call me Maurice!

Do you speak of the pompatus of love?

Old 06-20-2018, 09:37 PM

I see we have musically cultured members of this forum.

Old 06-20-2018, 09:45 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackopotamus View Post
Do you speak of the pompatus of love?
The 'potamus of love?

Old 06-21-2018, 03:33 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
If you don’t mind me asking what is your type exactly?
Slim or fit (not too muscular), full head of hair preferably not cut too short, minimal or no facial hair, youthful looking, attractive facial features (one or more of the following: pretty eyes, long lashes, cute smile, kissable lips, great bone structure, clear skin, cute nose, nice eyebrows, cute freckles/moles). Oh, and cat lovers preferred.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships