Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 08:07 PM

15 posts, read 37,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
The meteor shower idea is great, but I think that it shouldn't be the first thing that you ask her out to. Work up to it. Think about daytime activities and having other non-high school people around you for the first few times. Walks in a park, going to the zoo or art museum for a school project... If you don't make it a formal romantic date, she will be a lot more likely to say yes to you.
I definitely understand what your saying. Thanks. As of know, though, it seems like something like that would seem out of place to her, if I asked her to go pick out a birthday present. Maybe not, if I talk about it a few times before that just in class. Unfortunately, I don't have science class with her so no being her study partner, I only have Language Arts with her. What if I have a...small party like event with the whole meteor shower thing, maybe that wouldn't work, because we don't have the same...line of friends, kind of, but it would also give her a chance to not be only with me, in other words, someone else may...take the spotlight, unless it's like one of my best friends who's like the school clown, we kind of work well together, but she still has a chance to spend more time with one of the girls than with me, it just wouldn't help very much. She might not be against the idea of the alone meteor shower, but it would still seem out of place to her, but I don't think she'd be too afraid of me coming on too strong, she knows I'm abstaining from sex, and everything else, but it would still add pressure to her. So I pretty much have to give her a reason to spend time with me alone, in a public place, or during the day time, not romantic or anything, but to get there, I have to make her my really good friend, which will be hard to do. I don't know. I was kind of feeling confident that maybe now was the time, but I see your point about her needing a friend. But even if I asked a good friend that was a girl to hep with a birthday, she'd probably think it was weird. I'm almost afraid that if it's too casual she might say oh I'm too busy or just No, thanks, because she won't understand that I really would call it a date. She might think about it more if it was. If it's really casual, she's not going to make room for it. I guess I just need to know how to be best friends with a girl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollygolightly View Post
Hey, if you really feel you love this girl, tell her. What do you have to lose?

I don't think you're too young to know what love is.
Thank you for understanding and not thinking I'm too young.

As to your first comment, remember that scene in Hitch, at the speed dating thing, when he's making that speech, and all the guys respond to the girl, after she says something about telling her he loved her, by saying that they've done that before and it didn't work. What do I have to lose? Her, the chance with her, the potential.

But thanks for sticking up for me.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:53 PM

549 posts, read 1,931,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollygolightly View Post
C'mon, leave him be, high school can be tough times.

Hey, if you really feel you love this girl, tell her. What do you have to lose?

I don't think you're too young to know what love is.
You think he should tell her that he loves her? That's kinda forward (except, substitute the word "kinda" with "really"). I like the idea of seeing if she wants to hang out more. If she does hang out with you and you two have a great time, awesome. If you two hang out and have a horrible time, at least you know. If she doesn't hang out with you, you have your answer (her making excuses, any excuses constitutes as not interested unfortunately). But at least you have an answer...

I think what you need is a definite answer. The only thing that really sucks is not knowing. If you find out she doesn't like you, it'll give you a chance to move on without regrets.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by endersshadow View Post
You think he should tell her that he loves her? That's kinda forward (except, substitute the word "kinda" with "really"). I like the idea of seeing if she wants to hang out more. If she does hang out with you and you two have a great time, awesome. If you two hang out and have a horrible time, at least you know. If she doesn't hang out with you, you have your answer (her making excuses, any excuses constitutes as not interested unfortunately). But at least you have an answer...

I think what you need is a definite answer. The only thing that really sucks is not knowing. If you find out she doesn't like you, it'll give you a chance to move on without regrets.
Except I won't be moving on without regrets, I'll have regretted that I didn't try hard enough to get her to like me, or to give me a chance. But I agree no telling her I love her.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:15 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,182,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by endersshadow View Post
You think he should tell her that he loves her?

Eeee gods, no, don't tell her that! But I don't think it would be unwise to say something like "I'd like to get to know you better -- wanna get together for a cup of coffee sometime?"

Old 04-03-2008, 10:22 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,209,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonely_and_in_love View Post
I guess I just need to know how to be best friends with a girl.
Yes you do! A good relationship is a lot more than just lovey-dovey stuff. Otherwise, don't spring the L word on her right away. Especially if you aren't comfortable just talking to her. That's a really great way to scare her off.

So what is your language arts class about? Is it a creative writing course? I'm not familiar with the terminology.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:05 PM

My language Arts class is nothing special, it's just a required class, although I'm in honors. We just read, write, do vocab, stuff like that, just recently we did poetry.

And about getting to know her better, it's just really hard, because in high school, there's never time to talk about anything serious, saying stuff like we should hang out more, seems out of place. There's a big gap to jump between not doing anything outside of school, to *bam* always hanging out friends.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:11 AM

549 posts, read 1,931,241 times
I don't know... don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of friends first. But this is different. It's one thing if you are friends first naturally. Then something happens and you two like each other.

But in this case, you like her already. You want to something but instead going for another. It can be real crushing if you two are best buddies and she starts telling you about her crush. Also, you might get caught up in that dreaded FRIEND ZONE. When you're there, it's not the situation that sucks (aside from her telling you about her guy problems). It's the fact that you don't know how to get out of it. When you're here, you don't want to risk the relationship you currently have to get something more.

Oh, and don't mind Fat Freddy. He lives on one-liners (sometimes two-liners). They're funny though.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:57 AM

5,073 posts, read 4,739,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
Eeee gods, no, don't tell her that! But I don't think it would be unwise to say something like "I'd like to get to know you better -- wanna get together for a cup of coffee sometime?"
I get what you're saying...the "L" word would probably be too much at an early stage in the relationship. But, I got from the original post that he already knew her pretty well. Let us know how things turn out.

I had to edit this to say: I'm sticking with my guns. Against all practicality, say what you feel. If you do, so maybe things don't work out. You'll live. If you don't, though, it could be a lot of regret that you can't take back. Speak your mind.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:02 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,845,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonely_and_in_love View Post

My language Arts class is nothing special...We just read, write, do vocab, stuff like that, just recently we did poetry.
That's not Language Arts. That's just English class.

Here's a "Language Arts" exercise that you can try.

First of all, take off your glasses and unbutton the first couple of buttons of your shirt down to where hair will eventually grow on you chest.

Now get up real close to the girl, lean forward, gently touch that spot on your chest, and say in a low soft voice, "Would you like to meet me in the shower?"

Pay close attention to her reaction and watch for things like widening eyes, fluttering eyelashes, and slightly parting lips, especially if you can see her tongue.

However if you see none of these positive signs and instead she jumps back and yells "What did you just say to me?", immediately straighten up, slap on your glasses, hunch your shoulders, stick your neck a little forward like a turkey and say with a halting stammer "I said would you like to see a meteor shower?"

But, just because you had to jump quickly into Nerd Mode to avoid some unpleasant instant repercussions doesn't mean that you should abandon Lothario Mode.

If you play your cards right you may even be able to plant the seeds in her mind that your original question was innocent and the outrageous idea came from within herself.

This, kiddo, is Language Arts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships