Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 05:46 PM

272 posts, read 185,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I rejected a guy after I saw him eat for several weeks. His (over-)weight didn't bother me but he always picked the worst foods in restaurants (fastfood only) and added a shake and several refills of coke and it started to disgust me watching him eat.

It felt like he as on a getfatterfast track. He only ate fast food. Burgers, soda, milkhakes, fries, pizza, donuts, hashbrowns, bacon. His dad was so big he didn't fit in normal cars anymore and had diabetes and he seemed to want that, too.

Well that was a good decision on your part. In a way, he rejected himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2018, 05:53 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninglikethieves View Post
I know this was probably just a joke, but come on, guy. Just because someone doesn't wanna fast occasionally does not make them a person with no discipline, unhealthy or overweight or on their way to the 600 pound life. Tell an athlete that. Those guys eat like an ogre.
It’s not just athletes. Plenty of people eat 3 meals a day and exercise self-restraint. Fasting isn’t about discipline so much as it is about listening to your body and recognizing that you don’t have to eat on a fixed schedule.

As for your other comment about that other individual, I agree. LOL

Old 09-26-2018, 05:53 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
In the world of dating, people have all kinds of dealbreakers. Diet is one of them. Maybe you’re a strict vegetarian and can’t see yourself with someone who eats meat. I was on a dating site recently. I started chatting with one woman, we had a had a lot in common and seemed to be hitting it off. Then somehow we got on the topic of health and I mentioned that I do intermittent fasting, which really isn’t a diet, but for the purposes of this post, I’ll treat it as one. She decided she was no longer interested in me. Her reason? I can’t see myself with someone who can’t sit down and eat meals with me due to such self imposed dietary restrictions. Oh and this was before she suggested that intermittent fasting was close to being an eating disorder. I can deal with rejection and I don’t always agree with the other person’s reasons. But this one just made me laugh and made glad things didn’t work out.

Anybody else experience something like this?
Diet CAN be an issue, but IF is certainly a minor difference! I'm with a vegetarian and I usually go veggie with him and cook some veggie dishes we both eat for dinner...for lunch during the week we are on our own so no issue. On the weekends we may go to an Indian buffet and I can eat some meat dishes. It's really not a big deal - so to not even DATE someone by anticipating a problem is silly.

In today's world, it's not as expected that people sit down together and eat every meal as a family - families/partners eat at different times and even fix their own food, maybe eating at the same time or not.

This woman may find out that it's silly to have such minor dealbreakers. If she is that picky about diet she may have a lot of other rules even tougher to live with! But you don't have to change your diet to get along with her - you should each be able to accommodate the other.

Old 09-26-2018, 06:33 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,928,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
Hm, usually it's mostly women that are the vegetarians/vegans. And they typically have no problem dating male omnivorous sense it's rare to come across a male version of a vegetarian/vegan.
That's not even close to true, dude.

I know many guys who are vegetarian/vegans. They're guys I either play/have played music with or work with in the music scene.

I tried being vegetarian for a couple months when I was like 15.

I still can't kill an animal and I don't even like killing insects. I won't even fish, but I have no problems eating them if someone else does the catching. I won't even cook a live lobster or crabs, myself.

Old 09-26-2018, 09:17 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I rejected a guy after I saw him eat for several weeks. His (over-)weight didn't bother me but he always picked the worst foods in restaurants (fastfood only) and added a shake and several refills of coke and it started to disgust me watching him eat.

It felt like he was on a getfatterfast track. He only ate fast food. Burgers, soda, milkhakes, fries, pizza, donuts, hashbrowns, bacon. His dad was so big he didn't fit in normal cars anymore and had diabetes and he seemed to want that, too.
Yes, that would be a deal breaker for me, too. I don't want to end up a caretaker to someone who destroyed his health through his own bad habits. I rarely eat the things you mentioned above, and only in small quantities. Someone mentioned picky eaters and that would bother me, too.

Old 09-26-2018, 09:26 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,721,626 times
One person's ridiculous, is another person's reasonable. Dismiss it as incompatibility and move on. To be fair Op, I think you're just trying to laugh off a bruised ego. People are going to have preferences regardless of what you think. You didn't fit the bill, oh well.

Old 09-27-2018, 03:04 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,016,445 times
I'm not sure of the OP's age, but I find that the majority of my friends and family (50 ish) have some sort of dietary restriction. Whether it's for medical reasons, general health reasons or for weight reasons.

Examples (simply from my personal world):
Kidney stones - low sodium, low oxalates
IBS -- FODMAP diet
Allergy - no onions, lactose
Medical - no oranges or tomatoes
Medical - certain fruits and vegetables off limits
Medical - no nightshade vegetables
Celiacs - gluten free
Diabetes - diabetic diet
Diet - Keto, intermittent fasting, Atkins, no sugar

These are all issues just from my own circle of friends and family. If I were dating right now, I'd absolutely expect someone to have some sort of restriction....

Old 09-27-2018, 04:07 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Everyone fasts. Some of us just fast for longer periods. What bothered me were her misconceptions about IF and those who do it. She claimed it was close to being an eating disorder. She also acted like I would never deviate from my eating schedule. I think online dating makes people anxious to render a quick decision, up or down. Oh, she’s a vegetarian? Ok, that won’t work. Next. Everyone’s in such a hurry to rule people out.
I think if you think of any deviation from the "norm" as equal to "smoking" you'll see that when people are first assessing their mutual interest.....anything can be a red flag.

Maybe if you want to lead with your dietary requirements in your intro that will weed folks out and you'll feel less attacked by the rejection.

As others have said, it could have been any number of reasons, and the fasting was a convenient excuse.

I say...it is always good to know this early, before you are attached to someone. Keep looking.

Old 09-27-2018, 04:37 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
One person's ridiculous, is another person's reasonable. Dismiss it as incompatibility and move on. To be fair Op, I think you're just trying to laugh off a bruised ego. People are going to have preferences regardless of what you think. You didn't fit the bill, oh well.
Actually I had lost interest the moment she referred to fasting as an eating disorder. That immediately told me this person is misinformed and narrow minded. I politely corrected her. It was only in a follow up message the next day that she said she couldn’t date someone who skipped meals. But even if she hadn’t done that, I probably would’ve stopped communicating with her since her comments about IF felt like an attack on me. Effectively, she was saying she doesn’t respect what I do. So why would I date someone like that?

Old 09-27-2018, 04:52 AM

853 posts, read 4,037,828 times
I wouldn't date someone, that wouldn't date someone who ate meals intermittently, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships