Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 12:06 AM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
My husband is probably the kindest, most generous, most compassionate person I've ever known. Also unflappable and easygoing.

But he's not syrupy, is funny and irreverent, and like anybody else, he isn't immune to being stressed, tired, irritable.

People are human, and having expectations that are unrealistic serves nobody well.
I'm probably a decent man too. I think these types of threads derail real quick when you apply real human traits to them.

I'm sure the hubby is a kind, generous man and most certainly compassionate.

The days I feel that humans are worthy are the days where men like yours register high......

Does he live up to all of the traits in the OP?, Only you can answer that, just like any woman on this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2018, 02:09 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,305,161 times
They've all been snapped up. Turns out there's not a lot of competition lately.

Old 09-29-2018, 05:08 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,459,619 times
Actually, this is probably a great time to snap up one of those “nice guys” who finished last.

Old 09-29-2018, 07:00 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,353,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I am looking for a nice guy. Really nice. Kind. Sweet. I mean, syrupy sweet. Disgustingly nice. I simply can not be with a man who is not incredibly nice. Like all the time. No anger, no sarcasm, no snippy-ness, no moodiness, no resentment, no fighter, no bitterness, not easily set off, and I don't mean the kind who is good at holding it in or hiding it. Everyone says they are a nice person and easy-going, but that's hyperbole by now, I want a truly nice and easy-going man. I know they exist but I haven't known one in like a decade. (admittedly, I don't have a large sample size to draw from). So I'm wondering how many nice guys exist out there, especially after they get married? I am asking the ladies for information sake.
Are you looking for a robot or a human being?

Many people tell me how nice my husband is, but he's not syrupy sweet. He does experience emotions because he's human. He gets moody, angry, and sarcastic. Again, he's human, and he doesn't act out in inappropriate ways based on those emotions.

He's definitely nice and easy going the vast majority of the time. He's not easily set off. Often he's nicer than me if I'm being honest.

Part of being in a long term relationship is being able to accept the humanity of the other person. That includes both positive and negative feelings. FYI--we've been married almost 35 years now.

Old 09-29-2018, 07:12 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,222,483 times
Bill Murray in Ground hog day, they're in the gazebo and Bill says "This is a man we're talking about, right?"

Old 09-29-2018, 09:13 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,372,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I am looking for a nice guy. Really nice. Kind. Sweet. I mean, syrupy sweet. Disgustingly nice. I simply can not be with a man who is not incredibly nice. Like all the time. No anger, no sarcasm, no snippy-ness, no moodiness, no resentment, no fighter, no bitterness, not easily set off, and I don't mean the kind who is good at holding it in or hiding it. Everyone says they are a nice person and easy-going, but that's hyperbole by now, I want a truly nice and easy-going man. I know they exist but I haven't known one in like a decade. (admittedly, I don't have a large sample size to draw from). So I'm wondering how many nice guys exist out there, especially after they get married? I am asking the ladies for information sake.
They exist. Temperament, personality, quirks, etc., are a definite factor. My husband is super mushy-gushy and incredibly affectionate, kind, compassionate, and sincere. Not Nice Guy nice, but a genuinely kind and loving soul, and very patient. He's not really sarcastic, but he can be witty and goofy. Very reserved, mild-mannered and doesn't anger easily, at all. He's always been this way. Physical touch and words of affirmation are his top love languages. Mine, too. He tells me he loves me several times a day. We have our own "I love you"/"I know" that we do and secret hand gesture that we use to say I love you. We do it with the kids as well.

According to MIL, he's always been mild-mannered, kind, easy-going, etc. That's just who he is. I got that vibe when I read his profile. He seemed like a total sweetheart and hopeful romantic.

Old 09-29-2018, 09:21 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,372,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
My husband is probably the kindest, most generous, most compassionate person I've ever known. Also unflappable and easygoing.

But he's not syrupy, is funny and irreverent, and like anybody else, he isn't immune to being stressed, tired, irritable.

People are human, and having expectations that are unrealistic serves nobody well.
This.

Genuinely kind and compassionate people still experience an array of emotions. Mr. Meta isn't the type that gets angry. He's very chill. But yeah, frustration, stress and annoyance are a thing. Like it taking several calls and long wait times to get in touch with the right dentist for an emergency visit. We were both annoyed at the process. Even during those occasions, though, he's not OTT about it.

Old 09-29-2018, 10:24 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Actually, this is probably a great time to snap up one of those “nice guys” who finished last.
lol! True. Going by what a lot of guys say on this board, there should be hordes of lonely "nice guys", genuine nice guys, around. It's all the jerks, the "bad boys" who have been snapped up, according to prevailing theory in certain circles of the blogosphere.

Old 09-29-2018, 01:42 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,252,432 times
Okay, this is what I'm talking about. Just now I jokingly commented to my SO that a new in-law thought I was the younger sister of my brother, when I'm actually the older one. Without missing a beat, his head buried in the fridge, my SO mutters under his breath (but so I could hear him, of course), "She needs to get her prescription updated..." I suppose some people would think that's horrible, but I laughed out loud and cursed him out.

Old 09-29-2018, 01:45 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,017,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
Okay, this is what I'm talking about. Just now I jokingly commented to my SO that a new in-law thought I was the younger sister of my brother, when I'm actually the older one. Without missing a beat, his head buried in the fridge, my SO mutters under his breath (but so I could hear him, of course), "She needs to get her prescription updated..." I suppose some people would think that's horrible, but I laughed out loud and cursed him out.
That's fantastic! My husband once watched me take yet another brownie and then pointedly looked at my backside - hysterical!

(FTR, I'm fairly thin).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships