Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 05:16 PM

9 posts, read 4,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
How clean is the house kept? Is the cat on grain free food ? Grain free food is awesome for many reasons but foremost it cuts out dander and shedding.
Please don't rehome the cat or lock in the basement. It's not kitties fault.
Also asking son to clean and step up care for cat is good upbringing.
1/2 tsp refined (non coconuty tasting) coconut oil given to a cat daily will cut back shedding/dander. Most cats love it and will come running when jar opens.
A simple Albuterol inhaler will help you a lot before the shots. Do shots last; compromise til then.
The house is kept reasonably clean but the cat sheds a lot . He’s a Maine coon. Not sure if the shedding is typical of the breeed.
He is on grain free food (Canidae brand)
Will try the coconut oil.
My prescription was for Symbicort (the $300 inhaler) and Albuterol and I was asked by the Dr to only use the Albuterol for emergencies and not regularly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2018, 05:19 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,879,986 times
The boy will be bringing cat dander up and down from the basement. Is the boy to be kept in the basement as well? There's a lady in my office who says she can't sit anywhere near cat owners or she won't be able to breathe. So far she's breathing ok...I guess I won't tell her.

Not sure if you should plan on a wedding in a year. After this crisis is solved, you get an idea of how the next one will go, not in your favor. This is actually quite common in the single parents I know, child comes first, it's their responsibility to speak for them.

Email the drug company for coupons, if your insurance doesn't cover it, there are many that have coupons for great savings out there.

Good luck!

Old 11-20-2018, 05:41 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,045,784 times
This is so sad.

Can't you just get rid of the child?

Spoiler
You guys know I'm kidding.

Old 11-20-2018, 07:05 PM

1,660 posts, read 1,213,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwars19 View Post
The son is 9. We don't live together as of now. I have my house but planning to sell it after the wedding next month.
ITs good you still have your house...your fiance can move in with you, while the son and cat can live in his house.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:30 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,044,580 times
I have asthma and allergies as does my youngest. We have two cats. We have no carpet in our house and all bedding is washed weekly. Furniture is also vacuumed often, a few times a week.

Neither my son or I would choose to rehome the cats. They bring us greater joy than the little bit of health inconvenience. Inhalers are covered by health insurance.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:36 AM

888 posts, read 556,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwars19 View Post
The house is kept reasonably clean but the cat sheds a lot . He’s a Maine coon. Not sure if the shedding is typical of the breeed.
He is on grain free food (Canidae brand)
Will try the coconut oil.
My prescription was for Symbicort (the $300 inhaler) and Albuterol and I was asked by the Dr to only use the Albuterol for emergencies and not regularly.

I totally get it, I am on 3 different types of asthma inhalers just day to day, but I am lucky in that insurance covers about 70 percent of it. I know how awful it is to walk around with asthma symptoms being bad all the time.

I really think you only have two options here. The cat goes to the basement, and the son and his dad spend time down there with the cat playing video games or doing whatever they do. Or you end this relationships. It doesn't sound like getting rid of the cat is an option, and it kind of shouldn't be since this 9 year old loves the cat and would be incredibly upset ( not to mention probably hate you when you move in)

Old 11-21-2018, 08:37 AM

3,027 posts, read 2,250,081 times
Symbicort and Albuterol are for the asthma but do basically nothing for allergies. Your doctor should get you Rx strength antihistamines, flonase, etc. Vacuum all the time, etc. Shots ABSOLUTELY work, but they take a long time; there are oral allergy drops that work more quickly but may not be covered by insurance.

Some cats are better than others when it comes to allergies, but a maine coon is one of the worst, in my experience.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:47 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,044,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiangirl_2015 View Post
I am actually of the belief that if one person wants/can have pets, and the other doesn't, for whatever reason, it is a deal breaker. I don't think you can just expect people to give up pets they love. And on the other side of things, I have asthma and you can't live your life in a constant asthma attack. So unfortunately this may mean you both have to move on. Also, if you make them give up the cat, for you, do you really think the son is going to enjoy having you around? It's hard enough to be a blended family. When I was dating, I had to actually never date men who had dogs that shed, for this same reason, they give me asthma attacks. But I would never ever ask a person to give up a pet, I am involved in animal rescue and couldn't do that. So it was an automatic no date right off the bat if they said they had a dog that sheds.

Also, would the cat be alone all the time if the cat lived in the basement? Because that isn't a nice life for a cat.

Also, of course the son should come before the new fiancé, new girlfriend, whatever the case may be. Especially if the son is a minor. I don't understand why that is a bad thing that this guy is putting his kid first.

I'm so sorry this is all happening, but I really think this is what is called a deal breaker. It doesn't mean either of them are bad people.
Agreed. We have a houseful of pets. Anyone that dates or lives with me has to accept that we are a pet household.

Old 11-21-2018, 09:05 AM

553 posts, read 303,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Agreed. We have a houseful of pets. Anyone that dates or lives with me has to accept that we are a pet household.
The unfortunate thing here is that they got engaged before the dad got the cat.

Old 11-21-2018, 09:06 AM

553 posts, read 303,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiangirl_2015 View Post
I totally get it, I am on 3 different types of asthma inhalers just day to day, but I am lucky in that insurance covers about 70 percent of it. I know how awful it is to walk around with asthma symptoms being bad all the time.

I really think you only have two options here. The cat goes to the basement, and the son and his dad spend time down there with the cat playing video games or doing whatever they do. Or you end this relationships. It doesn't sound like getting rid of the cat is an option, and it kind of shouldn't be since this 9 year old loves the cat and would be incredibly upset ( not to mention probably hate you when you move in)
This is pretty much the bottom line. And if the dad isn't being flexible then I don't see this relationship succeeding. I'm glad she asked before getting married and selling her home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships