Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 12:19 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,038,508 times

Advertisements

Have you ever moved into a home your significant other owns? How did you make it feel like it was your home?

My fiancé walks around constantly harping on the fact that this is my house, my responsibility and not his home. Today he actually said “if this is my home, the rules would be different”.

This is a common issue I have found. I use the phrase “our home” when I speak. I don’t know how to make him feel better. It has been almost 4 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2019, 12:31 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
I honestly don't know what you want us to say this time to make this situation palatable.

I made room for my significant other, and he has made himself at home, but he's also not passive-aggressive and wouldn't say something like, "If this were my home, the rules would be different."

I would say, "if you want to change something, speak up."

Old 01-01-2019, 12:38 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,564,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Have you ever moved into a home your significant other owns? How did you make it feel like it was your home?

My fiancé walks around constantly harping on the fact that this is my house, my responsibility and not his home. Today he actually said “if this is my home, the rules would be different”.

This is a common issue I have found. I use the phrase “our home” when I speak. I don’t know how to make him feel better. It has been almost 4 years.
When I moved in with my former husband after our engagement, I felt as if it was home within a few weeks.

What helped with making it feel like home physically was combining our things as harmoniously as possible (the contents of my former two-bedroom apartment had a new life in the upstairs bedrooms, bathroom, and loft), choosing to buy a few new items together (for both house and yard), and arranging our things--both new and old, his, mine, and ours--in a manner that was pleasing to both of us. Our tastes were bit different in some areas, but overall, we made it work. (It helped that he had a good eye for design!)

What helped to make it feel like a home emotionally was doing household tasks together or dividing them in a somewhat equitable manner. For example, he did the lawn mowing and I did the gardening/flower beds. He paid the mortgage and I paid the property taxes and "operating expenses" such utilities and most groceries. I'd wash and he'd fold. I'd dust and he'd vacuum. I could go on, but surely you get the point on this one. If there was one task that he enjoyed doing and I disliked such as mowing (I hated it, but he loved doing it and vice versa on gardening/weeding)we'd simply do the task that pleased us, although if necessary, we would switch roles as part of sharing a space is sharing household chores.

We didn't have any "rules" per se. Things seemed to naturally fall into place, but I'm guessing that this happened for us because we'd had a very similar upbringing and we were older when we married so we already were used to and enjoyed managing a household on our own.

Old 01-01-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I honestly don't know what you want us to say this time to make this situation palatable.

I made room for my significant other, and he has made himself at home, but he's also not passive-aggressive and wouldn't say something like, "If this were my home, the rules would be different."

I would say, "if you want to change something, speak up."
How did you make room?

I purchased a new bedroom set and all new linens. I cleared two closets for only his items. He didn’t have furniture to bring. But all his kitchen stuff that was not broke, I made room for it. He brought all his pictures of his past relationships and family. He took over my garage.

I don’t know what more I can do to make him feel like it is his place also. He doesn’t want to buy anything for the home jointly.

Old 01-01-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
When I moved in with my former husband after our engagement, I felt as if it was home within a few weeks.

What helped with making it feel like home physically was combining our things as harmoniously as possible (the contents of my former two-bedroom apartment had a new life in the upstairs bedrooms, bathroom, and loft), choosing to buy a few new items together (for both house and yard), and arranging our things--both new and old, his, mine, and ours--in a manner that was pleasing to both of us. Our tastes were bit different in some areas, but overall, we made it work. (It helped that he had a good eye for design!)

What helped to make it feel like a home emotionally was doing household tasks together or dividing them in a somewhat equitable manner. For example, he did the lawn mowing and I did the gardening/flower beds. He paid the mortgage and I paid the property taxes and "operating expenses" such utilities and most groceries. I'd wash and he'd fold. I'd dust and he'd vacuum. I could go on, but surely you get the point on this one.

We didn't have any "rules" per se. Things seemed to naturally fall into place, but I'm guessing that this happened for us because we'd had a very similar upbringing and we were older when we married so we already were used to and enjoyed managing a household on our own.
I have offered to have him pay some of the household bills. He wants nothing to do with that. He agreed to just give me a set amount monthly, which happens every few months of if I ask on payday.

He will mow the grass but not really willing to help more. He works long hours so I and my teenager do all the housework.

Old 01-01-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
I have offered to have him pay some of the household bills. He wants nothing to do with that. He agreed to just give me a set amount monthly, which happens every few months of if I ask on payday.

He will mow the grass but not really willing to help more. He works long hours so I and my teenager do all the housework.
To lend some clarity to your situation, may I ask what your fiancé's living situation was prior to moving in with you? I ask because how someone manages a household and bills on their own (or with roommates or family) is very telling as to how they are going to continue to live once you share a space with them. It's difficult at best to change a person's long-ingrained habits once you're under the same roof.

If he's only contributing financially sporadically at best (which is what I'm gathering from the above post) and is barely willing to pitch in with household tasks, is this truly a man to whom you'd want to be legally bound? (Working long hours is not an excuse to help out around the house, garage, and yard. I often work long hours as did my former husband as do many of my friends and acquaintances and we still manage to get "house things" done. In fact, it's easier when everyone does their bit.)

Old 01-01-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
To lend some clarity to your situation, may I ask what your fiancé's living situation was prior to moving in with you? I ask because how someone manages a household and bills on their own (or with roommates or family) is very telling as to how they are going to continue to live once you share a space with them. It's difficult at best to change a person's long-ingrained habits once you're under the same roof.

If he's only contributing financially sporadically at best (which is what I'm gathering from the above post) and is barely willing to pitch in with household tasks, is this truly a man to whom you'd want to be legally bound? (Working long hours is not an excuse to help out around the house, garage, and yard. I often work long hours as did my former husband as do many of my friends and acquaintances and we still manage to get "house things" done. In fact, it's easier when everyone does their bit.)
He rented his own apartment in a run down building. He paid rent but I think all utilities were included, with the exception of cable and internet. He just didn’t have them.

I only saw his apartment when he was almost done cleaning it out. It had sat almost a year at that point because he had been in my house.

This seems like one of his contributing issues that is making him a very miserable person. And yes if this continues, he will be finding somewhere else to live.

Old 01-01-2019, 01:35 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:

How did you make room?
I made mental and emotional room for him. It's a metaphor. I tried very hard not to be controlling about "MY" house.

Quote:
He doesn’t want to buy anything for the home jointly.
This is a problem. You chose poorly. He hasn't made the mental/emotional bond with you and still thinks of everything separately.

Quote:

And yes if this continues, he will be finding somewhere else to live.
It's way past time for this, but it's been discussed ad nauseum in your other threads.

Old 01-01-2019, 01:53 PM

He views everything separately. Nothing is joint to him. My house, my kids, my pets...

He has been feeding the animals forever. His new thing is to not. And he stands in the room and talks to the dog “oh your bowl is empty? That is terrible.” Ok dude, I will feed the dog.

Last edited by LowonLuck; 01-01-2019 at 02:12 PM..

Old 01-01-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
He views everything separately. Nothing is joint to him. My house, my kids, my pets...

He has been feeding the animals forever. His knee thing is to not. And he stands in the room and talks to the dog “oh your bowl is empty? That is terrible.” Ok dude, I will feed the dog.
Why would you want to live with a person who behaves in such a passive-agressive manner, let alone be engaged to be married to him?

Your house is never going to feel like home for him as it seems as though he has neither physically nor financially nor emotional connected with it even after four years of living under its roof with you and your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships