Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2019, 09:08 AM

19,649 posts, read 12,235,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
How do you be accommodating, compromising and still protect yourself? Like in this situation... he feels like the house is not his. It’s not and it would be a lousy idea to add his name.

After being burned by an ex, I would never share accounts and doubt I would co-own property ever in the future
Then don't get married or have LTRs. Eventually a guy is going to want to be a real partner or he will bail or become passive aggressive. Some guys are ok with being the less equal partner but they don't tend to be desirable men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 09:41 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,455,752 times
Quote:
Well I have ocd and a perfectionist so my rigid way of doing things has benefited me substantially. Very rarely have I found someone that has a better way of doing things. Granted I am all for listening but he brings nothing of substance to the discussion

This reads like someone who only wants to listen when people have something you want.

You have (presumably) stayed with someone who has brought nothing of substance with them for 4 years. I think you need to revisit this statement and honestly ask yourself if you’re so much of a perfectionist why you can’t seem to get you’re **** together in this area and stop blaming the people you allow in to your life for how you feel.

Your stories are beginning to fall apart, both logically and chronologically.

Old 01-03-2019, 02:44 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,037,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
You posted this a couple of months ago:

My fiancé and I have been together since April 2016, so over 2 years. Plenty of time to develop a trust in regards to money.

Not anywhere near 4 years.

You are treating him like you are his mommy. And he's acting like your spoiled adult kid. And you wonder why he doesnt feel like it not his home? Because its not.
You are correct it was April 2016. So almost 3 years. To long for someone to not feel like it is his home.

I have owned the home 4 years.

Old 01-03-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Then don't get married or have LTRs. Eventually a guy is going to want to be a real partner or he will bail or become passive aggressive. Some guys are ok with being the less equal partner but they don't tend to be desirable men.
How do you ever trust someone to make them joint in everything? I just don’t think that I could ever after previously having to go through a divorce owning things jointly. It was much easier to do the process when I owned everything.

Old 01-03-2019, 02:51 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,240,677 times
Quote:
You are correct it was April 2016. So almost 3 years. To long for someone to not feel like it is his home.

I have owned the home 4 years.
Its not too long for him not to feel like its his home, because its not his home. Period. His name is on nothing. There is no ownership for him, none, nada. I dont care how long you live in someone elses home, it will NEVER be his home, until you add him to the deed. If you arent willing to do that, why would he feel like its his home?

Old 01-03-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Its not too long for him not to feel like its his home, because its not his home. Period. His name is on nothing. There is no ownership for him, none, nada. I dont care how long you live in someone elses home, it will NEVER be his home, until you add him to the deed. If you arent willing to do that, why would he feel like its his home?
Lots of people live in a residence they don’t own but it feels like their home.

Old 01-03-2019, 03:30 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,032,233 times
Here's what I don't understand; how can you be engaged to someone you don't trust? WHY be engaged to someone you don't trust?

I get that you've been burned before...but should you be professing to love and join lives together with someone you don't trust?

Old 01-03-2019, 03:34 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,270,958 times
Quote:
How do you ever trust someone to make them joint in everything? I just don’t think that I could ever after previously having to go through a divorce owning things jointly. It was much easier to do the process when I owned everything.
I can relate to this in many ways, especially when there's no marriage involved. First husband and I kept everything separate but owned the house jointly even though the $100K down payment came from his inheritance. I worked FT at a good job so my income was certainly an important part of being able to keep up the mortgage payments. I got 40% of the equity when we divorced. Second husband brought far less financially into the marriage than I did and again we kept everything separate but owned the house jointly. It was a match made in heaven and ended only when he died.

I do feel like the OP and her Significant Other would be happier separated, but there's no way in heck I'd add the name of an unmarried partner to the deed on a house that I acquired prior to the relationship.

Now that I think of it, DS bought a house and married a couple of years later to a wonderful young woman who's a SAHM to their 2 little girls. I don't think he ever put her name on the deed but she made that house a home. She even used her Grandma's sewing machine to make curtains! She always referred to it as "our home". They just sold it and bought a bigger one (3rd baby on the way- woo-hoo!) and I assume that one has both their names on the title.

Old 01-03-2019, 04:32 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,641,111 times
Quote:
I don't agree at all; this has not been my experience.

Old 01-03-2019, 05:08 PM

19,649 posts, read 12,235,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
I don't agree at all; this has not been my experience.
He doesn't have legal rights to "his home", maybe as a month to month roommate tenant but that's about it. I would not live as a month to month tenant where I could be evicted at any time, I would at least need a year lease with an apartment. In someone else's owned home you are less than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships