Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 08:53 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I have life insurance. My children inherit everything but in the trust it is set up so that fiancé could remain in the home. So yes I did make plans to protect him, although he makes twice my salary. He should be fine on his own.
Bad move. You should take him out of the trust, like immediately.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 08:56 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
Quote:
So clearly I am fine or not fixable.

What is wrong with me specifically that I only attract damaged men? Maybe I can just google it and resolve it my self.

Remember when you met 60 men off OLD in a short period of time?

You know what's wrong? You are desperate to be married, and desperate people make poor decisions.

You broke up with the guy on your couch? Well, that's good, because if I recall he was seeing another woman, and you knew about it the whole time. It didn't even sound like he was WITH you at all.

It is WAY past time for you to put your children first and stop this damaging parade of men through your house.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-04-2019, 08:59 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Remember when you met 60 men off OLD in a short period of time?

Ah yes, right after the statement she only dates people she has known awhile.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:13 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,641,111 times
Quote:
I have gone to three different therapists. Not including my children’s therapists over the years that we have done family sessions. So yes been there and done that.
But hon, you keep picking these guys who you say are deeply flawed. Why is that? A good therapist can help you figure it out.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:38 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,641,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Well as long as you are fine with having to move if something happens to him.

Personally I would not feel great about that.
Yes, I am fine with it. Even if I didn't have to move, I would most likely choose to move to Colorado (from California) to live near my daughter. (He and I may do that at some point anyway.)

I am in the process of selling my house right now (under contract, but escrow has not yet closed). I am looking forward to no longer owning much tangible property. I don't know that I will ever buy another house. I am thinking more along the lines of a 5th wheel and a full-sized truck.

For me, "home" is much more about feeling comfortable and happy where I am than about equity in real estate.

Old 01-04-2019, 10:16 AM

494 posts, read 286,277 times
Live by yourself.

If you decide you want to live with someone, make sure you understand the rules BEFORE moving in (or letting someone move in with you) I have a very good friend that wanted me to move in with her to save on rent costs, but I refused. She has habits that I knew would not work out well and eventually ruin our friendship........She has a heart of gold, but loves to spend money on everyone else so, therefore, doesn't think about upcoming bills; likes having things her way; eats certain foods; etc. Today, we have been best friends for over 55 years and I attribute that to making sure we didn't get into situations that could jeopardize that wonderful friendship.

As far as owning property and letting someone move in with you, it's a bad idea without some sort of written contract. People and situations change throughout relationships.

Old 01-04-2019, 10:42 AM

19,649 posts, read 12,235,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Yes, I am fine with it. Even if I didn't have to move, I would most likely choose to move to Colorado (from California) to live near my daughter. (He and I may do that at some point anyway.)

I am in the process of selling my house right now (under contract, but escrow has not yet closed). I am looking forward to no longer owning much tangible property. I don't know that I will ever buy another house. I am thinking more along the lines of a 5th wheel and a full-sized truck.

For me, "home" is much more about feeling comfortable and happy where I am than about equity in real estate.
I see. You don't mind moving, but some of us as we get older would dread that. If I love my home and feel settled, I would want to stay.

Old 01-08-2019, 12:41 PM

561 posts, read 324,734 times
Quote:
Have you ever moved into a home your significant other owns? How did you make it feel like it was your home?

My fiancé walks around constantly harping on the fact that this is my house, my responsibility and not his home. Today he actually said “if this is my home, the rules would be different”.

This is a common issue I have found. I use the phrase “our home” when I speak. I don’t know how to make him feel better. It has been almost 4 years.
The bolded indicates to me that this is about the people in the home perhaps and not the building that you live in so it's got nothing to do with furniture, curtains or kitchen items. You have kids right? I'd ask him point blank what he meant by that. What rules and how would they be different?

I can tell you from experience that two adults coming together with kids that do not belong to both of them is a difficult situation. Most couples that decide to have kids have hopefully talked about how they themselves were raised and what they would do the same or differently with their own kids. Obviously you have been raising your kids and running your household in a certain way without his input prior to his existence and it's probably not the way he thinks he would do it given a choice. So you ask him what he would do differently and you either consider a compromise or you tell him his input is not welcome and he decides if that's a situation he's willing to stay in. Or you decide if you are willing to have someone around that clearly isn't on the same page as your are and likes to remind you of that.

Old 01-08-2019, 01:15 PM

971 posts, read 689,560 times
Quote:
Lots of people live in a residence they don’t own but it feels like their home.
I was in a situation much like your guy. I always heard, my house this and my house that. And it was her house she was right. Her furniture, her pictures, her everything. My stuff was in storage cause she didnt like it and no room for any of it.

Like you, she was a headstrong, OCD control freak that wanted it her way. Also, like you, she wanted to go drink with her buddies and act like a single woman with no explanation necessary and never felt guilty.

However, i DID pay half of everything. I got tired of it all and left. Sooner or later he will too if you don't send him away first. His self esteem must really be low or he would already be gone.

Old 01-08-2019, 01:28 PM

971 posts, read 689,560 times
Quote:
So clearly I am fine or not fixable.

What is wrong with me specifically that I only attract damaged men? Maybe I can just google it and resolve it my self.
Just because you attract damaged men, it doesn't mean you have to end up dating them or living with them. They probably see you as cute and desperate for a man. You come off as extremely needy online, so i am sure it is the same or worse in person. Plus, they all know you as you say.
You probably are attractive to them until they get to know the real you and the ex drama and by then, there they are all moved in and stuck, trying tp figure out how they ended up in that situation and how to get out.

If you don't get outside your circle, expand who you are willing to date, you will never find someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships