Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 09:10 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,733,015 times

Advertisements

No. And if you really felt people just cancel women after age 40, why would you even want to deal with, let alone date, people like that? Is the real question.

Reality suggests that you can meet someone to be with at any age. If being "alone" is your main concern, you can easily find someone who can stop you from simply being by yourself. Finding someone you can connect with and is good for you is difficult at any age. Everybody struggles with that. Why? Because everyone is different. All you can do is put yourself in situations to meet people similar to you and go from there.

I would focus more on yourself and being the best version of yourself. Do not view a relationship as a determinant on whether you succeed or fail in life. It's not that serious. Constantly exercise introspection and self-reflection. Live your life the way you choose.

Good luck.

102,235 posts, read 108,093,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKenzie885 View Post
I am 40 years old and I've gotten mixed messages about my age and relationship prospects. I think I look very well for my age as I'm often mistaken by men and women for my late 20s to early 30s. I've been told I have a nice body etc.. I'm educated with 2 graduate degrees and 2 jobs. I think I'm a decent person. Perfect no but I am kind to others and when it comes to guys I am always being open minded and try to be non-judgemental even if I feel they aren't for me. I've been told that some guys will think I have alot of "mileage". I've only been in 5 sexual relationships in my lifetime.

But some men have told me I'm a lost cause because I'm 40 and old. Further, that no man will really want ME but only my body at this point. While some say 40 isn't old and I allegedly still have my life ahead of me. No, I do not have children but I am physically able to with IVF. I realize this may not be idea for some men but I don't think I'm a complete dud....though I have my moments like now.

What do you guys think? Are 40 year old women only good enough for sex and not a relationship? Are we just old hags? Or, is there hope for us?
Where do you live, that people tell you you're "old" or "have a lot of mileage"? How would they even know how much "mileage" you have?? And who actually tells someone to their face, that they're "a lost cause" because they're 40? Are you getting this nonsense off the internet? You should know better than that.

Madame, you are in your prime. These people are bamboozling you. And you're falling for it.

If anything, I would think your obstacle is looking too young. Do you get approached by men who are in their 20's and early 30's, but not by men your age? Where do you socialize? Where do you go, to meet men your age? What kind of activities do you seek out? That's the most important information to provide, so we can try to help.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 03-28-2019 at 09:19 AM..

13,261 posts, read 8,045,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants6 View Post
I swear, does ANYONE on this forum in their 40's say they look 40? If you are 40, then you look 40. People are just being polite when they say you look like you are in your late 20's/early 30's. When someone asks me how old they look, I guess close to the correct age in my head, but then of course knock it back several years younger than that when I tell them my guess.

Embrace being 40. I'm in my early 40's and I feel like I am in the prime of my life.

I was 40 when I got carded for buying cigarettes. Legal age here is 18. Me personally, I didn't think I looked younger than 18. LOL But apparently the youngish clerk couldn't tell the difference. He blushed and apologized when he saw my I.D. It was funny to me, and how can anyone be offended for being mistaken as someone much younger?

Old 03-28-2019, 09:15 AM

48,559 posts, read 34,935,042 times
Seriously, who are the guys telling you this? I find that weird. Random internet guys don't count.

I started dating in my 40s and never experienced any guys telling me this, dated, got married...
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-28-2019, 09:17 AM

102,235 posts, read 108,093,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants6 View Post
I swear, does ANYONE on this forum in their 40's say they look 40? If you are 40, then you look 40. People are just being polite when they say you look like you are in your late 20's/early 30's. When someone asks me how old they look, I guess close to the correct age in my head, but then of course knock it back several years younger than that when I tell them my guess.

Embrace being 40. I'm in my early 40's and I feel like I am in the prime of my life.
lol. No, this is a real issue for some women; petite women, baby-faced women, can have a lot of trouble getting the attention of men in their age-range.

Old 03-28-2019, 09:17 AM

971 posts, read 690,518 times
I could care less about degrees, but the fact you have no kids is appealing to me. If you are a nice person, even better. I would date you.

Old 03-28-2019, 09:25 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,649,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKenzie885 View Post
I am 40 years old and I've gotten mixed messages about my age and relationship prospects. I think I look very well for my age as I'm often mistaken by men and women for my late 20s to early 30s. I've been told I have a nice body etc.. I'm educated with 2 graduate degrees and 2 jobs. I think I'm a decent person. Perfect no but I am kind to others and when it comes to guys I am always being open minded and try to be non-judgemental even if I feel they aren't for me. I've been told that some guys will think I have alot of "mileage". I've only been in 5 sexual relationships in my lifetime.

But some men have told me I'm a lost cause because I'm 40 and old. Further, that no man will really want ME but only my body at this point. While some say 40 isn't old and I allegedly still have my life ahead of me. No, I do not have children but I am physically able to with IVF. I realize this may not be idea for some men but I don't think I'm a complete dud....though I have my moments like now.

What do you guys think? Are 40 year old women only good enough for sex and not a relationship? Are we just old hags? Or, is there hope for us?
I think any man who thinks this way is not a man who you want to have a relationship with anyway. Lots of happy, committed couples meet past age 40.

Old 03-28-2019, 09:45 AM

52,309 posts, read 52,777,716 times
Of course not.

Old 03-28-2019, 02:53 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,665,410 times
OP: You can have a relationship if you want.

The pool is smaller:

% are married
% are gay
% are *******s
% have substance abuse problems
% are sexist
% are unattractive for other reasons

But the numbers don't dictate what YOU can have, if you want it.

Old 03-28-2019, 02:58 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,275,777 times
I married for the second time at age 50 and had another passionate relationship before that at age 43. DH died 2 years ago and I'm now in a wonderful relationship; he's 67 and I'm 66. I'm only average-looking but smart, in good shape and nice. Don't let the naysayers discourage you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships