Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2022, 10:16 AM

1,655 posts, read 776,517 times

Advertisements

Another concern with sleeping with these people so soon might be STDs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2022, 10:24 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillygirl123 View Post
I know. I kinda just thought of it a vacation and added bonus to hang with the guy I met. But I wouldn’t have gone if if it weren't for him. I had met my ex husband in Florida too so thought I’d take a chance. But yes lesson learned ! I clearly didn’t know him well enough and got screwed over.

I actually did send him a message after running in to him at the bar. Basically just saying how disrespectful it was when I came all the way to hang and he could have just communicated instead of ghosting. His response was he got too drunk cleaning a boat and wasn’t his intention. But when I responded after that saying I took the hint and it was just really not cool to do to someone he never answered. Clearly a selfish immature person.
OK, wait. Let's look at that excuse for a moment. He ghosted you that day, because he "got too drunk" while cleaning a boat, and forgot about the date? But after he was done with the job, he went out to a bar to drink some more??

Not buying it. Or, if he's not lying, he's an alcoholic, and you dodged a bullet.

Old 08-02-2022, 11:43 AM

670 posts, read 481,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OK, wait. Let's look at that excuse for a moment. He ghosted you that day, because he "got too drunk" while cleaning a boat, and forgot about the date? But after he was done with the job, he went out to a bar to drink some more??

Not buying it. Or, if he's not lying, he's an alcoholic, and you dodged a bullet.
Yea it’s clearly BS. Made me even more mad he couldn’t just be honest. That much of a coward.

Like how do you get that drunk cleaning the boat but are able to go home and change and go back out ?! He’s a complete idiot. You’re right I dodged a bullet ! Clearly deserve better than that. Hope karma gets him.

Old 08-02-2022, 12:00 PM

2,234 posts, read 2,407,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Sure, men get attacked, mugged too, but who's the gender who gets raped, attacked, & killed a WHOLE LOT more often (by usually men)? The physically weaker sex. If it was up to me ALL women would be an expert in some kind of martial arts, etc., which I know isn't as fast as a gun, but it sure helps in scary situations.
I honestly think it's pretty pointless for most women to take self-defense classes. While there will always be outliers, most women are smaller and weaker than most men. Even if you learn how to throw a punch or kick, most men will still overpower you.

Old 08-02-2022, 02:05 PM

1,140 posts, read 619,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
I honestly think it's pretty pointless for most women to take self-defense classes. While there will always be outliers, most women are smaller and weaker than most men. Even if you learn how to throw a punch or kick, most men will still overpower you.
Lol, wow that is as incorrect a statement that I've ever read in my life.

You clearly have never taken a self defense lesson before or know the dynamics of physical conflict.

One of my friend is a small stature woman with teenage daughter. Both her and her daughter have had years of karate lessons. They are both VERY capable of taking down a man if they wanted to.

Knowing what body parts are venerable and how to exploit it is key to any "fight". And practicing the moves gives you confidence and the muscle memory to deliver the proper blows.

Old 08-02-2022, 02:34 PM

1,702 posts, read 784,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
Lol, wow that is as incorrect a statement that I've ever read in my life.

You clearly have never taken a self defense lesson before or know the dynamics of physical conflict.

One of my friend is a small stature woman with teenage daughter. Both her and her daughter have had years of karate lessons. They are both VERY capable of taking down a man if they wanted to.

Knowing what body parts are venerable and how to exploit it is key to any "fight". And practicing the moves gives you confidence and the muscle memory to deliver the proper blows.
What’s the karate move to use when a 250-pound maniac is on top and has his hands wrapped around your throat? The *ground* is almost always were these kinds of survival conflicts go, and body weight & power is as (maybe more) important as skill. Even among professional martial artists there are WEIGHT CLASSES.

The most important way to protect one’s self is situational awareness, and NOT flying out to meet strangers they hardly know. Also, carrying a weapon you’ve had practice drawing can be effective (pepper spray, taser).

Old 08-02-2022, 02:40 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerlingHitchcockJPeele View Post
What’s the karate move to use when a 250-pound maniac is on top and has his hands wrapped around your throat? The *ground* is almost always were these kinds of survival conflicts go, and body weight & power is as (maybe more) important as skill. Even among professional martial artists there are WEIGHT CLASSES.

The most important way to protect one’s self is situational awareness, and NOT flying out to meet strangers they hardly know. Also, carrying a weapon you’ve had practice drawing will can be effective (pepper spray, taser).

Eyeballs. Or smashing a flat hand over both ears at the same time. Physical training is NEVER a waste.

Even for the mere fact that learn how HARD a man can hit, many women are surprised at the brute strength of men when they first start sparring. That alone can make a woman much more leery and realize her vulnerability. From there you learn what you CAN do to help yourself defensively.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-02-2022, 02:57 PM

1,702 posts, read 784,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Eyeballs. Or smashing a flat hand over both ears at the same time. Physical training is NEVER a waste.

Even for the mere fact that learn how HARD a man can hit, many women are surprised at the brute strength of men when they first start sparring. That alone can make a woman much more leery and realize her vulnerability. From there you learn what you CAN do to help yourself defensively.
Even as a 210-pound man, I’d be much more effective against a larger opponent with a weapon. I’m not saying “don’t train”, I’m saying carry a weapon that will keep a larger opponent at a distance because when larger opponents go to the ground with you, they will almost always try to strangle you. I’ve been in a choke hold while street “training” and it’s HARD to think while you’re not breathing.

Everybody has a plan until they get hit, and I’m simply saying pepper spray to the face or a taser (or firearm) will prevent them from getting close in the first place. Karate classes can not replicate the stress of an actual conflict with someone who wants to murder you, so never let him get close in the first place. And I’m not trying to offend people who train, keep doing so if it gives you confidence.

Old 08-02-2022, 03:05 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerlingHitchcockJPeele View Post
Even as a 210-pound man, I’d be much more effective against a larger opponent with a weapon. I’m not saying “don’t train”, I’m saying carry a weapon that will keep a larger opponent at a distance because when larger opponents go to the ground with you, they will almost always try to strangle you. I’ve been in a choke hold while street “training” and it’s HARD to think while you’re not breathing.

Everybody has a plan until they get hit, and I’m simply saying pepper spray to the face or a taser (or firearm) will prevent them from getting close in the first place. Karate classes can not replicate the stress of an actual conflict with someone who wants to murder you, so never let him get close in the first place. I’m not trying to offend people who train, btw
Absolutely, do not let them get close if you can prevent it. But one should not get a false sense of security from tools either. Got to remember to check wind direction before pepper spraying someone . I assume you mean the type of taser you can fire from a distance? Most models only give you one shot, and then it's done. They have the dry stun too, but that's up close, and really if the attacker is prepared, that will just **** them off, some sketch guy just hoping for an easy target? That could scare him away.

It's all complicated, but I think all good advice.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-02-2022, 03:09 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,650,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillygirl123 View Post
I feel like a complete idiot. I met a guy on vacation in key west back in March. Had a great time and we kept in touch since. He kept telling me to come visit again. So here I am visiting key west for him for the weekend. He had asked me to stay with him but I booked a hotel just in case. Plans were to spend the whole weekend together minus the times he had to work.

We hung out Friday night and thought the night went fine. He stayed over and had work the next day so told me he would msg me after work at 7.

I didn’t hear from him all day.I was sitting there waiting for him thinking we were going out together. I finally msg him at 830 saying I’m hungry lol. He just wrote back “I was hungry all day”. I then said “when are you getting off work!?” Then he never responded. I am sitting there thinking the best of situation that maybe he fell asleep.

I go out to the bar and there he is with a friend. Completely shocked. Went over to him and said “what are you doing? I was here visiting you and waiting for you to msg after work. That’s completely disrespectful. I flew all the way here to hang with you”. He just said “oh I didn’t get your msg im sorry “ and then I walked away.

I am literally shocked. Like I was that bad that he felt the need to just ghost me after i came for him?!! Like I get if you’re not feeling it then just communicate that. Why are people so awful. No decency to just send me a quick message. Feel like I am always doing things for guys and making efforts where none is ever returned. Should I send him a message saying something ?

Block him, lose his number. Use this as a lesson.

Never date a guy that lives outside your zip code. Not worth it. Count your blessings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships