Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2022, 08:24 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,887,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
So I met this perfect southern gentleman, he is very smart, works with his hands, outgoing, never met a stranger. Easy on the eyes. Today on our second date we had sushi for lunch, then went to a park and sat on a blanket in the shade and fed the ducks. THen he tells me he has something he needs to say and I have an omg moment wondering what shoe is about to drop.

About 20 years ago he was working as a bail bondsman. He was chasing a guy who skipped out on his bail and during a scuffle he shot the guy who then bled to death. He was charged with involuntary manslaughter and served 6 months. So he has a felony on his record. This was the nail in the coffin of his marriage and he suffered some hard times as a result but seems to have come out of it just fine.

He was concerned I would find this to be a deal breaker. It seems like ancient history to me and I was not bothered by it at all.

Should I be?
It’s completely up to you if you’d like to look beyond that one “red flag”, unless you have children in the home, IMO. If it’s public record anyone can find out and make assumptions, or gossip. I wouldn’t want to burden children with that potential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2022, 08:35 PM

1,555 posts, read 788,141 times
So he was just doing his job? Why was he even charged?

Old 08-28-2022, 09:16 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,241,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
So I met this perfect southern gentleman, he is very smart, works with his hands, outgoing, never met a stranger. Easy on the eyes. Today on our second date we had sushi for lunch, then went to a park and sat on a blanket in the shade and fed the ducks. THen he tells me he has something he needs to say and I have an omg moment wondering what shoe is about to drop.

About 20 years ago he was working as a bail bondsman. He was chasing a guy who skipped out on his bail and during a scuffle he shot the guy who then bled to death. He was charged with involuntary manslaughter and served 6 months. So he has a felony on his record. This was the nail in the coffin of his marriage and he suffered some hard times as a result but seems to have come out of it just fine.

He was concerned I would find this to be a deal breaker. It seems like ancient history to me and I was not bothered by it at all.

Should I be?
You know the guy better than any of us. If you aren't bothered by it why are you looking for reasons to be bothered by it?

Old 08-29-2022, 05:21 AM

8,088 posts, read 10,113,473 times
Bail Bondsman, huh? That would be something i would be concerned about and do some checking. Maybe it is just because of the way these guys have been popularized (think that "Dog" nit-wit that TV has chronicled---that guy alone has a few cards missing in his deck). Maybe most of the folks in that line of work are fine people. Do a little checking just to make sure.

As for shooting someone in that line or work, doesn't it go with the turf? See paragraph above.

Otherwise, it seems like you have a fine person with which to explore life. Take small steps, eyes open, and enjoy.

Old 08-29-2022, 05:58 AM

24,762 posts, read 9,555,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Area Man View Post
Yeah something isn't adding up.

Old 08-29-2022, 06:15 AM

26,701 posts, read 41,820,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Area Man View Post
It is an everyday thing where people are pressured to plead out to lesser offenses because they don’t have the money to hire an effective lawyer. It could easily be a position where he was originally charged with something like second degree murder and looking at 20 years of convicted (NC courts are not known for fairness from my short time here.)

Old 08-29-2022, 06:22 AM

19,732 posts, read 12,308,591 times
There's a reason the practice of bail bonding is illegal in most of the world and some states.

It's dangerous work making deals with criminals and collecting. I would wonder why the gentleman chose that field in the first place, what led him there.

Old 08-29-2022, 07:07 AM

4,640 posts, read 1,806,331 times
A few others have mentioned that you could do some checking. If you know his last name, and the county where this happened, his record may be available on the Court Clerk's website. Even if you Google the guy, you might be able to find some information about this.

In your case, I'd make a diligent effort to do your homework. NOW. Before you get too involved.

Old 08-29-2022, 07:40 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,783,705 times
He was a bounty hunter, not a bail bondman. It doesn't pass the smell test for me, so yeah, I'm moving on. . Clearly he only told you to get ahead of the background check he knew you would be doing on him. Maybe seek out a better class of people?

Last edited by zentropa; 08-29-2022 at 07:48 AM..

Old 08-29-2022, 08:33 AM

19,732 posts, read 12,308,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
He was a bounty hunter, not a bail bondman. It doesn't pass the smell test for me, so yeah, I'm moving on. . Clearly he only told you to get ahead of the background check he knew you would be doing on him. Maybe seek out a better class of people?
I believe in some states bounty hunters are not allowed so the bondsman has to do his own dirty work. Doesn't mean you aren't right though. Either way it tends toward a shady business, even done within the bounds of the law.

I would need to know the details of how it all went down and tread carefully, call it a red flag. OP barely knows the guy at all. Maybe he just got in over his head in the past and he's fine but I would take it really slow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships