Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2022, 10:39 AM

12,780 posts, read 14,996,596 times

Advertisements

Whether he seems to have really changed for the better, who wants someone w/ a FELONY on his record? how much trouble will a felony be to do the following even if it was 20 yrs ago? (I have no idea since I never knew anyone w/ a felony.)

- get jobs
- buy a house/car
- get credit
- etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2022, 11:25 AM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
He's probably OK for casual dating. Not for marrying or living with. Felons have a lot of extra hardship in their lives because of the felony on their record and, seriously, you don't want to welcome that hardship into your life voluntarily. You get guilt by association when you live with a felon.

This guy might be as honest as they come, but I talk to more felons than your average lawful person and I have never in my life met a felon who will admit it was his fault. There are always lots of excuses about why they didn't do it, or they got a raw deal, or some sort of rationalization. They all have a story that minimizes the crime.

I also think the story is a little bit implausible. Not impossible, but a bit iffy. It would probably be easy for you to look it up in the court records to see what the real story is. Who knows? Maybe you will find it is 100% the truth.

One thing to watch out for. He's a felon so it is difficult for him to rent a nice place to live. He may think he can weasel his way into your house if he is charming enough. Just be aware.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 08-29-2022 at 11:35 AM..

Old 08-29-2022, 11:37 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
So I met this perfect southern gentleman, he is very smart, works with his hands, outgoing, never met a stranger. Easy on the eyes. Today on our second date we had sushi for lunch, then went to a park and sat on a blanket in the shade and fed the ducks. THen he tells me he has something he needs to say and I have an omg moment wondering what shoe is about to drop.

About 20 years ago he was working as a bail bondsman. He was chasing a guy who skipped out on his bail and during a scuffle he shot the guy who then bled to death. He was charged with involuntary manslaughter and served 6 months. So he has a felony on his record. This was the nail in the coffin of his marriage and he suffered some hard times as a result but seems to have come out of it just fine.

He was concerned I would find this to be a deal breaker. It seems like ancient history to me and I was not bothered by it at all.

Should I be?
I would not be bothered by it.

20 years ago is a long time. I like how honest he is.

Not quite sure why some people wonder about his temper - this was not a barfight, it was a job where he chased and tried to retain a criminal.

Old 08-29-2022, 11:50 AM

1,483 posts, read 685,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post

Not quite sure why some people wonder about his temper - this was not a barfight, it was a job where he chased and tried to retain a criminal.
People in law enforcement, corrections, and associated occupations - fairly or unfairly - have a reputation for getting 'hot under the collar' easier and quicker than 'civvies', aka 'those on the other side'. And rates of domestic violence tend to be higher among that bunch to boot. And worse if they're 'roid ragers'.

Old 08-29-2022, 12:02 PM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
Quote:
.......... - this was not a barfight, it was a job where he chased and tried to retain a criminal.

If that is what the felony conviction was really about. Which is why Stagemomma has been advised to verify the story. Lots of extra points for the guy if he is totally honest. Just don't ever accept anyone's assertion that they are honest at face value, because honest people will tell you the truth about being honest and dishonest people will also tell you that they are honest. They need to be sifted through using some other criteria than their own self-evaluation..

Old 08-29-2022, 12:12 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times
I assume you Googled the guy, right OP? The murder would have been covered by local media.

Old 08-29-2022, 12:15 PM

52,289 posts, read 52,723,379 times
Awful story.

Things can happen in life.

It was a long time ago not sure what more to say. All you can do is go with your gut instinct. I'd probably let it go if I was in the OP's position.

Old 08-29-2022, 03:01 PM

4,031 posts, read 3,310,131 times
Quote:

The OP hasn't dated this man very long. I am not saying that she shouldn't date the guy and get to know him better. Given her interest in the guy I would continue to date him. The guy might end up being completely mellow guy and if so he may end up being a completely wonderful boyfriend. But she doesn't really know this guy that well either. There are some guys who actively seek out jobs like being a bounty hunter because they are attracted to the adrenaline rush and the possibility of being in a fight with someone, where they get to kick some's ass. I am not saying that is the case here, but that is what I would be on the look out for. That disposition plus a history of actually killing someone would concern me.

Again, I am not saying end the relationship and find someone else, but more continue to get to know this guy better, but also have some situational awarenes about possible pitfalls too.

Old 08-29-2022, 03:08 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
I would investigate to confirm if he story is true.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-29-2022, 03:50 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,362,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
He's probably OK for casual dating. Not for marrying or living with. Felons have a lot of extra hardship in their lives because of the felony on their record and, seriously, you don't want to welcome that hardship into your life voluntarily. You get guilt by association when you live with a felon.

This guy might be as honest as they come, but I talk to more felons than your average lawful person and I have never in my life met a felon who will admit it was his fault. There are always lots of excuses about why they didn't do it, or they got a raw deal, or some sort of rationalization. They all have a story that minimizes the crime.

I also think the story is a little bit implausible. Not impossible, but a bit iffy. It would probably be easy for you to look it up in the court records to see what the real story is. Who knows? Maybe you will find it is 100% the truth.

One thing to watch out for. He's a felon so it is difficult for him to rent a nice place to live. He may think he can weasel his way into your house if he is charming enough. Just be aware.

THIS! Very good points. I couldn't seriously date someone who killed someone else even in the line of duty on their job. I know that may sound horrible, but I like my life at peace. I don't like violence
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships