Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2022, 03:57 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,549,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
So I met this perfect southern gentleman, he is very smart, works with his hands, outgoing, never met a stranger. Easy on the eyes. Today on our second date we had sushi for lunch, then went to a park and sat on a blanket in the shade and fed the ducks. THen he tells me he has something he needs to say and I have an omg moment wondering what shoe is about to drop.

About 20 years ago he was working as a bail bondsman. He was chasing a guy who skipped out on his bail and during a scuffle he shot the guy who then bled to death. He was charged with involuntary manslaughter and served 6 months. So he has a felony on his record. This was the nail in the coffin of his marriage and he suffered some hard times as a result but seems to have come out of it just fine.

He was concerned I would find this to be a deal breaker. It seems like ancient history to me and I was not bothered by it at all.

Should I be?
With just this post in mind, I wouldn't call it a deal breaker, but I would want to see how he is over time. I would want to know more about those hard times, and if he has resolved his issues with his ex. It takes awhile to discern someone's character, and if you are considering a long-term commitment, you definitely want to know more than what you've described here.

Trust me. I know this from experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2022, 04:05 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,725,695 times
Did his wife consider him a murderer? She didn't believe his version of events?

Old 08-30-2022, 01:40 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Whether he seems to have really changed for the better, who wants someone w/ a FELONY on his record? how much trouble will a felony be to do the following even if it was 20 yrs ago? (I have no idea since I never knew anyone w/ a felony.)

- get jobs
- buy a house/car
- get credit
- etc.
This is probably where the "working with his hands" comes in. He may be an artisan of some kind, a carpenter making custom cabinetry, or whatever. Self-employed.

Old 08-30-2022, 03:24 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,449,916 times
Bail bondsmen are not gentlemen, not even ones from the South.

Old 08-30-2022, 03:27 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,221,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Bail bondsmen are not gentlemen, not even ones from the South.
How many of them have you met?

Old 08-30-2022, 03:51 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,887,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron31 View Post
What's that mean? Does he have a job? I doubt you want to support the guy.
He's a contractor/builder. Right now he is building tiny houses on spec, among other things. He clearly does not need my support.

Old 08-30-2022, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Did his wife consider him a murderer? She didn't believe his version of events?
I don't know what she thought. Apparently she cheated on him when he was in jail.

Old 08-30-2022, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Whether he seems to have really changed for the better, who wants someone w/ a FELONY on his record? how much trouble will a felony be to do the following even if it was 20 yrs ago? (I have no idea since I never knew anyone w/ a felony.)

- get jobs
- buy a house/car
- get credit
- etc.
He works as much as he wants to and has time for creative hobbies like repurposing old things, feeding feral cat colonies, raising chickens, and writing fiction. He lives in the house he was born in, it's the family homestead and I'm guessing he has no desire to ever live elsewhere. He knows everyone in town, most of his stories involve running into someone he knows the other day, folks ranging from former teachers to the local judge.

If I recall correctly, he said he doesn't have any debt which may be an excuse for not being able to get any credit. However, I don't have a mortgage or car loan myself and have excellent credit, so I don't think of that as a bad thing. I just don't believe in using it unless I have to.

Old 08-30-2022, 04:24 PM

334 posts, read 263,882 times
StageMomma:
I don't mean to sound harsh but he comes with an incredible amount of baggage. From felony convictions to his cheating wife, this man has issues. Serious ones.

Take time---step away--don't catch feelings. Do research. No not online background checks. Schedule a consultation with a criminal attorney and ask his opinion.
This is your life you're talking about. Give yourself the same regard as you are giving a stranger's life and he IS a stranger.

Be careful and good luck.

Old 08-30-2022, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghPatty View Post
StageMomma:
I don't mean to sound harsh but he comes with an incredible amount of baggage. From felony convictions to his cheating wife, this man has issues. Serious ones.

Take time---step away--don't catch feelings. Do research. No not online background checks. Schedule a consultation with a criminal attorney and ask his opinion.
This is your life you're talking about. Give yourself the same regard as you are giving a stranger's life and he IS a stranger.

Be careful and good luck.
ROTFLMAO........honey, they all have baggage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships