Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2022, 10:41 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,678,474 times

Advertisements

I think that we need to strip the question of "tattoos" specifically out of this conversation in order for it to work here...that has been far too contentious a subject on this board in general. Maybe, "can you overcome a dislike of some superficial yet hard to ignore trait, if you find it offputting initially?" would be a more workable question...?

And that's gonna depend so much on what kind of person you are, what fuels your attraction to others, how your mind works. With few and very extreme exceptions, my taste in terms of looks is really broad and my own attraction to a partner is fueled/driven more by feelings of commonality and compatibility...to a point where someone who initially strikes me as probably not my type can later be elevated to "the most uniquely perfect match for me possible" after I get to know them. As long as there's not something SO extremely offputting going on, that I just mentally go "ugh" at the very idea of intimate contact with them. The one guy with really grody black and brown holes and decay visible in his teeth is an example of that. Doesn't matter how good a dude he is, I feel squicked by the idea of his mouth being anywhere near me, so that's a hard NO. Is this a "hard NO" for you? Only you can answer that.

And honestly it kinda sounds like you already have.

But I would suggest that you hold off somewhere before feeling mad in some way at her for "ruining herself" for you, because she wasn't yours to begin with and has zero obligation to consider how others (especially strangers she's yet to even meet) might think about her appearance and her choices. I think that it's when people cross that line, that's where women in particular get annoyed about it.

Old 10-03-2022, 10:43 AM

2,979 posts, read 1,650,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
If he’s not looking, what’s the question? What do we think of tattoos? Not really a relationship question.
"Wonder if l'd ever get use to and not mind her tats ?

l've only recently broken up from something serious so l'm not really looking as such just yet but l just happened to meet somebody over the beach on the wkend.
Given my situation l couldn't dive into anything anyway atm we only talked for awhile in passing but if l could she'd def' be someone l'd go for...
l didn't bother getting her number or anything l'll prob see her around again later on if l felt like it though but one, it's too soon but two, l just kept thinking the whole time talking damn those tats."

Old 10-03-2022, 10:55 AM

739 posts, read 412,923 times
tattoos are a huge turn off for me...I would not dated her in the first place

Old 10-03-2022, 10:56 AM

6,876 posts, read 4,877,055 times
Considering how much time you are spending obsessing about her tattoos now, I doubt you would ever find them attractive. And the older a person gets, the skin loses its tone and the tats become sad. So unless you can love someone enough to overlook that it's kind of pointless to fight the way it disturbs you now.

We like what we like. It may be shallow to respond to the package instead of the inner human, but people have preferences. Your being put off by her tats is much like a woman being put off by a man not being tall. Oh, he'd just be perfect if he was only six inches taller. Just move on.

Old 10-03-2022, 10:59 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,553,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomx View Post
wonder if you'd ever get use to something like that, maybe even learn to love them in time bc they were part of her, l dunno.
I'm in my senior years, and where I grew up tats were for carnies and other low lifes. I don't feel that way, but it was how I was raised, and I have to admit that my estimation of a tatted person is lower than those who are not. I probably would not find it an issue if I REALLY liked the person, but if my feelings were ambiguous then it would be a deal breaker.

Old 10-03-2022, 11:05 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,930,757 times
This kind of reminds me of the movie, "Shallow Hal."
If you can see past the ink and see the person you might do much better with it.
I don't particularly have tats but I am more concerned with the inside.
Sometimes the tats can be a reflection of the inside, but people change and grow depending on many different influences.

Old 10-03-2022, 11:22 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,137,073 times
If you choose to explore a relationship with her ylou must absolutrly be ok with her tattoos, because someone who had them covering their body thinks they are beautiful. She will want to show them off as well as likely getting more. If you are not ok with this..move on.

Old 10-03-2022, 12:04 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomx View Post
l've only recently broken up from something serious so l'm not really looking as such just yet but l just happened to meet somebody over the beach on the wkend.
Given my situation l couldn't dive into anything anyway atm we only talked for awhile in passing but if l could she'd def' be someone l'd go for. Ideal really we had a lot in common and lived a very similar lifestyle too, she was perfect really and l'm weird so l don't go for many women. She's 49 the poor hub had passed away young 5yrs ago so she's sort of ok now. l loved her looks too but there was one thing- she was heavily tattooed .
She was married 20s has kids and what have you said tat art was just a passion of hers.

Talking a full back tats, both thighs, quite a bit along the arms, probably more under her clothes. She had beautiful skin and hair and l adore nice skin on a woman and especially her back but not covered in tats. l like a few smaller tasty ones but not this.
l didn't bother getting her number or anything l'll prob see her around again later on if l felt like it though but one, it's too soon but two, l just kept thinking the whole time talking damn those tats. lf only, especially the back.

wonder if you'd ever get use to something like that, maybe even learn to love them in time bc they were part of her, l dunno.
you had one conversation and already think she is perfect? Jeeezz, you are fast. You know NOTHING about her.

If you don't like the way she looks, you should look for someone else who doesn't have any.

Old 10-03-2022, 12:05 PM

52,291 posts, read 52,723,379 times
She comes with the tats, can't separate the two. I couldn't be with a woman that had a whole bunch. A couple smallish ones are ok.

She deserves to be with someone who accepts all of her.

Old 10-03-2022, 02:07 PM

44,370 posts, read 20,073,157 times
We are NOT having another thread about tattoos. The topic has been discussed previously, ad nauseam. Duplicate topics are not permitted.

Thread closed.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships