Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2022, 03:29 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
That's just a sign of narcissism.
Yeah, I would think this brand of behavior would be on open display long before you got into their social media history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2022, 04:01 PM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootsamillion View Post
It would be my opinion that anyone who posts pictures and videos like those has some serious self esteem issues. It makes them feel better about themselves because internally they believe that their sexuality is all they have going for them. If they can't exploit that, or show it somehow, they aren't worth anything. A lot of people are like that and for good reason. Suppose a woman was abused emotionally for 30 years by her husband and put down and called names and all this horrible stuff, but the one time he showed any love or affection was during sex. Over a period of years, this woman's self esteem is just gone and she needs her sexuality to be worthy of other people. All men and women that do this kind of thing have self esteem issues and problems. These issues will become a big problem if you get involved with them and a peaceful relationship is out of the question. There will always be jealousy, hurt, arguments, you name it. I would advise staying away from people that do this, because their problem will eventually become yours.
That has not been my experience with the people I've known who post a lot of "look at my sexy self" pictures. But they are not of quite the same kind as most of what I saw in the OP's videos. Not so much booty shaking, "participating in a TikTok trend" types. More, "look at me living my best life" stuff like the burlesque people who usually seem to be having a lot of fun, the Colorado types having a coffee in the nude on their deck overlooking the mountains, or a sexy model friend in a bikini with a few other ladies on a boat somewhere. And all of them, at a glance, men and women both, look like they work out every day.

They have more going for them than that. Other interests and personalities. They definitely don't have low self esteem. Why do they have to show off all the time in photos, then? They don't have to. They like to.

But they seem to do best partnered with others who have similar mindsets...fitness, performance, whatever they are into.

Every single one of them that I know, is child free and has no intention of EVER changing that. All of them are at least of middle class income if not more, and a couple of them own prospering businesses.

Are there plenty of people who are more or less like what you describe? Yeah. But I think that low self esteem translates into a belief of oneself as low class and they partner with others who are on their own level most likely. But one need not be dressed in a skimpy tiny dress, twerking one's rear, to have that problem. I know because I look back at my own photos from before I had kids, around age 18-19, and I was a pretty young woman. As pretty as I would ever be, for sure. But I did not think of myself as extremely attractive, and I did not have much money or a good job, didn't know how I'd ever get into college or make anything of myself...so I did not have a very high level of self esteem. Which is a significant part of how I ended up making some of the worst mistakes of my life.

Part of it was this whole humility. Like how dare I look in the mirror and consider myself to be nice looking, or think I might attract a man who had a stable career. That would have made me a gold digger, a greedy or selfish or vain person! Oh, better to be humble. And just take whatever man seemed most interested and delude myself into thinking that I was fine with Mr. Red Flags "for love"...and that those who judged him negatively were just being superficial, all about money.

There are lots of ways to be foolish about what you are worth, especially when you're young.

Old 10-31-2022, 04:07 PM

595 posts, read 264,001 times
Hard pass. Not into vanity.

Old 10-31-2022, 06:52 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,752,114 times
I wouldn't date or marry a woman with social media.

Old 11-01-2022, 09:43 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
what age group are you in? I think 90% of the people I know who are under 60 have some sort of social media account.

Old 11-01-2022, 10:09 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
what age group are you in? I think 90% of the people I know who are under 60 have some sort of social media account.
And it's probably close to 100% for people under 35. Snapchat, Instagram, TikTok, WhatsApp, even--that's how they communicate.

Old 11-01-2022, 10:42 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,139,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
What? Not even Facebook? You want to date a girl who lives in the dark ages?

Old 11-01-2022, 10:47 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,028,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
What? Not even Facebook? You want to date a girl who lives in the dark ages?

I dunno. Candlelight and quill pen could be suspicious, too.

Old 11-01-2022, 10:48 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,028,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Yeah, I would think this brand of behavior would be on open display long before you got into their social media history.

Assuming you just started dating that person.

That being said, if something happened to my wife and I could actually scrape myself up off the floor to date again, I would likely take glimpse at someone's social media account before going out on a date with her. Five zillion selfies is typically a really bad sign.

Old 11-01-2022, 04:49 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
not necessarily if you meet through dating apps and haven't met in person yet or just had 1-2 dates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships