Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 02:13 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,243,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
Whatever did we do before cell phones.
If I remember correctly, before cell phones and Internet we used to have lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 02:22 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,685,272 times
Lightbulb To Gil3---Well-Said, Sir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
Catfish..I definitely understand your frustration as well. Granted, they are rude and inconsiderate, but putting your hands on someone may get you into a heap of trouble that's not even worth it. They may be dead wrong, but I'm not going to jail because someone was a pr**k in public.

Granted, I sometimes make mistakes that are unintentional. I think there is a huge difference between a perrenial, self-absorbed jerk and someone who makes an honest lapse in judgement. Sometimes rudeness tends to generate even more rudeness, and I try my best to prevent that.

For the most part, I treat others as I wish to be treated and do my best to display the utmost in courtesy, even if it's not reciprocated. That's the bottom line.
You are absolutely spot-on with your remarks...my wife is a godsend to me, and her gentle nurturing and patience and just plain love over these last 4 years has served to 'tame the savage beast'...I'm nowhere near as grumpy as I used to be, but you saw my post LOL...that's just a small taste of what my wife calls 'The Goon'---my OTHER, not-so-nice self...and he tends to come out in the face of rudeness and inconsideration...props to you also for being honest about your cell phone escapades as well

Old 07-11-2008, 02:25 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,685,272 times
Lightbulb To Gil 3---Well-Said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
Catfish..I definitely understand your frustration as well. Granted, they are rude and inconsiderate, but putting your hands on someone may get you into a heap of trouble that's not even worth it. They may be dead wrong, but I'm not going to jail because someone was a pr**k in public.

Granted, I sometimes make mistakes that are unintentional. I think there is a huge difference between a perrenial, self-absorbed jerk and someone who makes an honest lapse in judgement. Sometimes rudeness tends to generate even more rudeness, and I try my best to prevent that.

For the most part, I treat others as I wish to be treated and do my best to display the utmost in courtesy, even if it's not reciprocated. That's the bottom line.
It takes a lot, I know, for you to come out and say 'that was me, not too long ago', but unlike a lot of other folk, you got it, and mended your ways...my anger has cooled a lot since my wife came along, but that ol' impatience rears its' head once in a while (see my post LOL)

Old 07-16-2008, 04:36 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,614,602 times
Aside from places like a wedding, funeral, movie theater, library or any other public place where cell phones and cell phone converstations would be considered rude, I'd much rather hear someone's cell phone conversation than a loud, whiny, bratty kid ignored by a parent.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:32 PM

613 posts, read 1,020,515 times

YouTube - a funny joke: butter on the floor

Old 07-17-2008, 07:19 AM

28,971 posts, read 30,339,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderobyn View Post
I feel tha same way about the library. When I go in and sit down to the computer, I turn my cell on silent, I take my bracelet off so that it does not hit the desk as I type.

People all around on cells, screaming at their kids, etc.

I know growing up, we always learned that the library was a silent place.

Have times changed? I don't know.
When I was growing up, believe it or not, we were trained to whisper in public places, so as not to tread on the private space of others...now, anything goes, and some parents just don't care....they're kids can do anything...b/c the parents themselves are rude and loud. Even when we went out to eat, we didn't talk loud...and we certainly were not allowed on other people's property or to play music in our cars so loud, that it would shake windows. Back then there were ordances....and cops stopped you and gave you a warning or a ticket...

Different world....

Old 07-17-2008, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furry_playstation View Post
speaking of common courtesy. you're nosey and need to mind your own business
Hey, he's not nosey, the guys conversation was for all to hear....and all the rest of the stuff he said is true.

There is such a thing as when your talking on a cell, for everyone else to hear...you can't help but listen...b/c it is annoying, breaks your train of thought and invades your quiet time and space. So, if your going to talk on a cell in a public place, your forcing people to listen to your conversation...do you REALLY THINK, everyone else wants to hear YOUR conversation....that is just plain rude and unthinking....and apparently you have no concept for the respect of invading someone elses space in public.

There is nothing I hate more, then when I'm out of work, had a long hard day, and have to stop and shop or go to the library, where I'm so looking forward to some very peaceful quiet time...and I"m forced to listen to the noise, people project from their cells phones...you cannot help but hear what they're saying...they're loud and they don't care one bit who hears them...or how they may be disturbing someone else's space....it is down right annoying to say the least, and quit frankly, I'd love to grab those phones and place them where the sun don't shine.

People today especially those who use cells are very rude, inconsiderate and loud.

Last edited by cremebrulee; 07-17-2008 at 07:47 AM..

Old 07-17-2008, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
Aside from places like a wedding, funeral, movie theater, library or any other public place where cell phones and cell phone converstations would be considered rude, I'd much rather hear someone's cell phone conversation than a loud, whiny, bratty kid ignored by a parent.
wait until you get older, your want to smack em both....

Old 07-17-2008, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
If I remember correctly, before cell phones and Internet we used to have lives.
yanno, this gave me a thought...all this modern technology helps to make people really lazy and gives them an even larger sense of entitlement...even at work, people are walking down the halls having cell phone conversations, and it is really annoying....they are loud and inconsiterate...anyway, modern technology is good, but people always abuse the convenience at the expense of others....

Gwad, can you imagine if are townships afforded more cops and cops would ticket anyone they saw driving with a cell phone? Can you imagine how much money they'd make? I think they ought to enforce it, but even though they put a law like that in place, they are certainly not enough cops out there that have time to stop people and ticket them....they're way to busy rearresting repeated offenders, but that is another thread.

creme

Old 09-07-2008, 08:28 PM

123 posts, read 295,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Hey, he's not nosey, the guys conversation was for all to hear....and all the rest of the stuff he said is true.

There is such a thing as when your talking on a cell, for everyone else to hear...you can't help but listen...b/c it is annoying, breaks your train of thought and invades your quiet time and space. So, if your going to talk on a cell in a public place, your forcing people to listen to your conversation...do you REALLY THINK, everyone else wants to hear YOUR conversation....that is just plain rude and unthinking....and apparently you have no concept for the respect of invading someone elses space in public.

There is nothing I hate more, then when I'm out of work, had a long hard day, and have to stop and shop or go to the library, where I'm so looking forward to some very peaceful quiet time...and I"m forced to listen to the noise, people project from their cells phones...you cannot help but hear what they're saying...they're loud and they don't care one bit who hears them...or how they may be disturbing someone else's space....it is down right annoying to say the least, and quit frankly, I'd love to grab those phones and place them where the sun don't shine.

People today especially those who use cells are very rude, inconsiderate and loud.
you need more mental strength. i have no problem ignoring people's conversations if they are not directed toward me. i have plenty of happy thoughts to think
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships