Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2008, 11:25 AM

1,117 posts, read 2,039,006 times

Advertisements

Adultery involves betrayal. If both spouses are in agreement, there is no betrayal...and therefore cannot be adultery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 11:29 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,279,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmc2007 View Post
Cheating and swapping are two totally differant things.

and as far as your comment on anyone writing a book anyone can write a book and convince you of anything..it's someone's opinion, doesn't make it right...laws, faith, and morals, guide our respect for society's standard of living....of course, many color outside the lines...some standards outside that line are not so bad, others go way beyond...people are people...they will do as they choose, driven by lust, power, money.)

Ummm the bible is a book.. I see people bible thumping its and preaching to everyone how its the way we should live...
-- but it was written by men
-- based on faith, and lets face it for most of us, yes we believe in a higher source, but with that said.. ever played telephone, telegraph, tell a friend??? things get lost in transalation especially over ohhh a few thousand years.... and if we lived by the good book, we would still be sacrificing animals, eating nuts and berries and obviously having more then one wife if our spouse couldnt have a child..not that we are talking about more then one spouse here, we simply talking about knockin boots as a couple with other couples (if consenting adults want to).

Cuz I think Abraham, Solomon, David & Jacob all had more then one wife.

...... just sayin'
I am not bible thumping, I'm agnostic...

let me try and explain another way.....regarding reading a book

I write poetry...of which many have read...of course I know what it means, but I've received many different interpretations on them...and some way out there, not even close to what I meant.
So, it's all in how you think and believe...

regarding the Bible...it's the same, why do you think there are so many interpretations...?

and yes, indeed, anyone can sell you a lake of truth as to way they do something, doesn't make it right.

Abraham, David and Jacob, had many wives...and so do people today in other countries...but that belief just doesn't happen to coincide with culture in the U.S. Maybe someday it will, Look how far the gays have come....

If your swapping, fine...of course it's your choice, but right now, in this time, you are never going to gain approval for it from the majority of society...perhpas in 50 more years or so, depends on the trends I suppose....

Old 08-13-2008, 11:31 AM

1,117 posts, read 2,039,006 times
Let's remember this book is not fiction, either.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:04 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,601,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
They didn't come up with phrases like "white trash" for nothing.
lol. Im not idealizing everyone, just sick of hearing boring garbage about OUR politicians, we all pay their salaries, why aren't they working- I dont give a da...n who they boink after hours; thats for people who read Tabloid trash.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:10 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,178,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
I dont give a da...n who they boink after hours; thats for people who read Tabloid trash.
Me, neither. It doesn't appear to have any bearing on their capabilities even though one can argue that dishonesty spreads in other areas. Then again, that's a prerequisite for the job, so...

Now, if I happen to find out that all politicians in Switzerland have always been faithful spouses I might change my mind.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:44 PM

279 posts, read 1,139,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I am not bible thumping, I'm agnostic...

let me try and explain another way.....regarding reading a book

I write poetry...of which many have read...of course I know what it means, but I've received many different interpretations on them...and some way out there, not even close to what I meant.
So, it's all in how you think and believe...

regarding the Bible...it's the same, why do you think there are so many interpretations...?

and yes, indeed, anyone can sell you a lake of truth as to way they do something, doesn't make it right.

Abraham, David and Jacob, had many wives...and so do people today in other countries...but that belief just doesn't happen to coincide with culture in the U.S. Maybe someday it will, Look how far the gays have come....

If your swapping, fine...of course it's your choice, but right now, in this time, you are never going to gain approval for it from the majority of society...perhpas in 50 more years or so, depends on the trends I suppose....
Actually didnt say I was swapping, and I didnt say you were bible thumping. We agree to disagree. I am just saying that in MY opinion, and in MY being open minded to what others do, and not judging why or who they do "it" with.. I have seen people who do have an open marriage IN all its different spectrums, some swap , some do not, etc... And they have great marriages, I dont delve into their business, I dont ask for details.
I have also seen couples who do not. They go to church every sunday, married and some are very happy and some are down right miserable. Every marriage has its own force that makes it or breaks it. I dont judge because I cannot and I dont preach because I cannot, and I most certainly do not try and convince someone about a way of living, to see it the way I do, because that is not right, either. But I accept that, everyoen has differant beliefs, and guidlines on how they live their life. But the bible isnt the only holy book, nor is christianity the only religion out there, surprise to some.

I am simply saying everyone views Open Marriage differently, being married is a very special choice couples make, But my thought is this, if a couple are open and communicate and agree between themselves on what they want in their marriage, it is not wrong to them. I dont live with them and I certainly dont have to deal with the consequences of their actions, if there are any. ANd because it has plenty of grey area, it will always be a "some get it", and "some dont".. it will always be a topic of controversy.

And frankly not to be snooty... those people that do, stear way clear of those that do not, kinda why its so hush hush. It is not up to me to tell them no or change their minds or tell them its bad for them, regardless of my belief or upbringing.

But what still surprises me today is that there is a huge intolerance and sometimes anger from people towards the people who are differant from them, those who are not into religion, the holy books, or living a certain way in thier marriage, etc.

And yet, there is far more tolerance from those that are differant, towards those that are intolerant.

Old 08-13-2008, 04:33 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,601,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Me, neither. It doesn't appear to have any bearing on their capabilities even though one can argue that dishonesty spreads in other areas. Then again, that's a prerequisite for the job, so...

Now, if I happen to find out that all politicians in Switzerland have always been faithful spouses I might change my mind.
Well most of them appear to be narcissists and liars anyway, I can't say that I hold manipulators in high regard; This is just what they do for a living.

By the time they have reached Congress, IMO, just do something positive for once, (oh, right their approval rating is now the lowest since 1932-lol) to make this country get on a better track; Im so sick of the US media and tabloid trash we crank out, IMO the American media machine is the worst.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:25 PM

2,397 posts, read 6,457,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
But, I don't think anyone is asking for approval. I most certainly am not. As long as my man and I are fine with the way our relationship works, I'm good. I'm not asking anyone who is not interested to join in, nor am I forcing my views onto anyone. I've also never been a trend-follower, so if "open" relationships become a trend, I'll probably be over it.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:29 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,279,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntoQT View Post
But, I don't think anyone is asking for approval. I most certainly am not. As long as my man and I are fine with the way our relationship works, I'm good. I'm not asking anyone who is not interested to join in, nor am I forcing my views onto anyone. I've also never been a trend-follower, so if "open" relationships become a trend, I'll probably be over it.

nohhhhh, your not, but the OP might be? I'm simply giving my opinions, ideas, conversation???? I'm not stating that you have to think like me...and I'm not forcing my views upon anyone, simply offering them, isn't what this forum is for?????? The asking for approval part just popped in my head...which to me, sometimes not all the time, when a poster posts a question as such, they are looking for approval for what they are doing.....or not

put that in your pipe and smoke it....

Old 08-14-2008, 08:55 AM

1,244 posts, read 3,226,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmc2007 View Post
Cheating and swapping are two totally differant things.

and as far as your comment on anyone writing a book anyone can write a book and convince you of anything..it's someone's opinion, doesn't make it right...laws, faith, and morals, guide our respect for society's standard of living....of course, many color outside the lines...some standards outside that line are not so bad, others go way beyond...people are people...they will do as they choose, driven by lust, power, money.)

Ummm the bible is a book.. I see people bible thumping its and preaching to everyone how its the way we should live...
-- but it was written by men
-- based on faith, and lets face it for most of us, yes we believe in a higher source, but with that said.. ever played telephone, telegraph, tell a friend??? things get lost in transalation especially over ohhh a few thousand years.... and if we lived by the good book, we would still be sacrificing animals, eating nuts and berries and obviously having more then one wife if our spouse couldnt have a child..not that we are talking about more then one spouse here, we simply talking about knockin boots as a couple with other couples (if consenting adults want to).

Cuz I think Abraham, Solomon, David & Jacob all had more then one wife.

...... just sayin'
I already gave my views on this subject long ago and thus not going to elaborate on it any further. I also do not want to turn this into a religious views discussion because frankly, this is not the religion forum. However, I do just want to clarify something about this statement only because of the connotation in what you brought up and will simply leave it at that.

Yes the Bible was written by men, however, to the Christians it was written by men inspired by God and under the direction of the Holy Spirit. That makes it different than picking up any book at your local bookstore, at least for us that are believers and hold that faith.

Yes in the bible there was sacrificing of animals and the having of multiple partners i.e. concubines, however what you are referring to is Old Testament. Meaning prior to Christ. The New Testament did away with much of that stuff and it is in fact according to the New Testament that many of us Christians live today. While yes we still refer to the Old Testament, study it and a lot of the understanding and knowledge of God and who he is comes from it, we do not live according to the Old Testament, so no if we live by the "good book" as you put it, we would not still be living with multiple partners and sacrificing animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships